Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 07:53

Morkonan wrote: Hmm... How do you know if you were sent a "coupon?" Where would it show up?
In your Steam inventory. Steam should notify you that you have a new item there, as berth points out.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 22. Oct 17, 18:22

No flashies... Nothing in inventory from Steam.

It's not like I would have bought it, anyway. :) Civ IV is the Best Civ! (And, it's where my favorite mods are. ;) )

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 24. Oct 17, 15:35

Stronghold HD + a.d. 2044 free on gog.com

https://www.gog.com/game/polish_giveaway_pack

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 25. Oct 17, 11:29

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is free to play on Steam for 2 days.

Ironically the game was criticized for being too short which makes it the perfect time limited title to play if you can free up some time. 8)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Oct 17, 16:19

While not actually free, if you have Steam Gal Civ 1 or 2 you can upgrade to Gal Civ 3 for under £5 on Steam just now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 22:35

Steams Halloween sale has started.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 09:54

burger1 wrote:Steams Halloween sale has started.
ARK: Survival Evolved -50% was £49.99 now £24.99 :lol:
GTA V now "the same price I bought if for 2yrs ago"

gotta love Steam sales.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 12:46

They can't drop the prices below what the people supplying them with the games will let them, and why would Rockstar significantly drop the price of GTA5 when they're concentrating on it as a multiplayer platform now?

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 18:31

pjknibbs wrote:They can't drop the prices below what the people supplying them with the games will let them.
The problem with that logic is that the publishers are authorising other retailers to have (much) bigger discounts, so something hinky is going on.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 22:24

Golden_Gonads wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:They can't drop the prices below what the people supplying them with the games will let them.
The problem with that logic is that the publishers are authorising other retailers to have (much) bigger discounts, so something hinky is going on.
Agreed, some dodgy pricing going on Buyer Beware.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 28. Oct 17, 04:21

pjknibbs wrote:They can't drop the prices below what the people supplying them with the games will let them, and why would Rockstar significantly drop the price of GTA5 when they're concentrating on it as a multiplayer platform now?
I don't know diddly about GTA5, but it's common for publishers with multiplayer platforms to lowball a sale in order to get more players to keep their multiplayer population up as long as they can. I would assume that Rockstar, like everyone else, wants to go to a recurring sales/service and microtransaction model, so they may not be placing a lot of importance on box sales profits.

I'm not sure how Steam's vendor model works. There are a variety of means other than unit sales that money can/could change hands and sale decisions don't always rest with the vendor/mfr or special incentive/marketing programs end up dictating prices for a time.

Whatever the model, it's obviously profitable for both Vavle/Steam and their top suppliers. So, if Steam gets to deep-discount a product during a particular sale and that loss is passed entirely on over to the publisher, obviously the top publishers don't seem to mind very much. It's not unusual, really, in other businesses for manufacturers to pay sellers for the privilege of having their product go on sale. In fact, it's a standard business practice.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 28. Oct 17, 13:04

Hey guys, most people look at new posts here hoping to find freebies or bargains rather than vending policy debate. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 19:08

You can get Watch_Dogs free on UPlay. (Ubisoft)
Last edited by Tamina on Mon, 6. Nov 17, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 19:59

Tamina wrote:You can get Watch_Dogs free on UPlay.
Had to look uplay up, then I remembered it was Ubisoft, so I didn't bother.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 20:11

felter wrote:
Tamina wrote:You can get Watch_Dogs free on UPlay.
Had to look uplay up, then I remembered it was Ubisoft, so I didn't bother.
Yes you are right, I forgot to mention that both UPlay and Watch_Dogs are from Ubisoft, sorry.
We had a discussion about why some think they are automatically bad, last time.
*Edited first post.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 7. Nov 17, 07:52

Alan Phipps wrote:Hey guys, most people look at new posts here hoping to find freebies or bargains rather than vending policy debate. :wink:
+1
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 7. Nov 17, 09:29

muppetts wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Hey guys, most people look at new posts here hoping to find freebies or bargains rather than vending policy debate. :wink:
+1
Um, that conversation finished a week and a half ago, why are you bringing it up again?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 7. Nov 17, 21:06

Tamina wrote:You can get Watch_Dogs free on UPlay. (Ubisoft)
Thanks a lot for the hint. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 7. Nov 17, 21:26

Just a note:

For those into 3D, the Substance "Bundle", including Substance Painter 2, Substance Designer and Bitmap2Material is on sale for a couple more days through Steam. You end up saving 25%, $100 USD. I have seen it at a steeper discount, though. So, if you're waiting for it to be cheaper, check during the Thanksgiving sale or even towards the end of the year. No guarantees, though, and $100 is a nice chunk.

This is a really powerful, premier, PBR materials/textures program with a load of other nice 3D features one would expect. (UV mapping, normal maps, layered material sets, tons of import/export options.)

Note: By registering with Allegorithmic and sending them an email, you'll get the Steam Free exe versions if you want them. (And you would.) The "subscription fee" plans are ONLY for updates and feature patches - It's not a hostage-ware subscription fee, so you don't "have" to have it.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 10. Nov 17, 18:42

This is way out there. First if you own StarCraft II wings of liberty, right now you can get StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm for free. I got an email about it today and nearly binned it as one of those free gift scam mails I sometimes get, but this is genuine. To claim log onto battlenet and click the gift button next to your username in the top right corner, do it now as it's only available till December 8th.

Remember you need to own the first one to get this. I was never a great fan of the StarCraft II, so I only ever bought the first episode, but I'll take the second episode for free.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”