Why do Xenon Sectors have a population?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

praypold
x4

Why do Xenon Sectors have a population?

Post by praypold » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 14:49

I was reading the universe map and read the Xenon sector descriptions. The sectors had populations in the millions, despite the fact Xenon terraformed the planets in these sectors. I sorta thought the terraforming process was not too healthy for the poor species living there. So why does the Xenon sectors have populations? Was there something in the X Universe lore I was unaware of??

Thanks
- "Charismatic leaders, a populous with fear of the unknown leads to the first casuality of war - The Truth."

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 15:05

It's all the little xenons !

Think on that while you mercilessly blast away at their ships next time you monster ! :D

praypold
x4

Post by praypold » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 15:14

rusky wrote:It's all the little xenons !

Think on that while you mercilessly blast away at their ships next time you monster ! :D
Boy am I a BAD MAN!!! :lol:
- "Charismatic leaders, a populous with fear of the unknown leads to the first casuality of war - The Truth."

46_n_2
x3tc

Post by 46_n_2 » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 18:35

two words: The Matrix

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 19:38

I feel I should put the real explantation in spoilers, as not to demotivate people:
Spoiler
Show
The *population* number in the xenon sectors is the amount of Xenon ships present. There's a reason selfreplicating machines are not a good idea to set loose on the universe.
So ye, exterminate the xenon? Not in your lifetime!
I should point out that this is my own explanation for the xenon population in those sectors.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 22:47

The population numbers given for the sectors in-game are, not to put too fine a point on it, garbage. For instance, Argon Prime has been inhabited by humans for the best part of 800 years, yet its population is only 189 million? And that's one of the most populated sectors in the universe, according to the numbers!

Frankly, I don't know why they ever included the population numbers in the sector descriptions--they've never made much sense in any of the games.

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 00:04

For non Xenon/Kha'ak, it could be the number people on the stations.... But I do agree, it is rather pointless.
-- GD

praypold
x4

Post by praypold » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 01:13

One word: OXYMORONIC

(the word of the day) :lol:

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 02:30

pjknibbs wrote:The population numbers given for the sectors in-game are, not to put too fine a point on it, garbage. For instance, Argon Prime has been inhabited by humans for the best part of 800 years, yet its population is only 189 million? And that's one of the most populated sectors in the universe, according to the numbers!

Frankly, I don't know why they ever included the population numbers in the sector descriptions--they've never made much sense in any of the games.
Well, the Argon Prime inhabitants are all the descendents of the people in a few ships, right?

Regarding the population numbers, I always wondered myself what they were good for. It's especially weird that someone has been tinkering with these numbers between games, and not only in one direction. Why even touch them if they are meaningless, especially as the sector descriptions are often still describing the X2 state.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 02:53

pjknibbs wrote:The population numbers given for the sectors in-game are, not to put too fine a point on it, garbage. For instance, Argon Prime has been inhabited by humans for the best part of 800 years, yet its population is only 189 million? And that's one of the most populated sectors in the universe, according to the numbers!

Why don't you...fix the population numbers? I mean, you guys own the lore. You can just go through and say, "This sector has a big planet, it's population is 16 billion. This sector has a population of 400,000. This is an Unknown Sector, it's population is unknown.'

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 03:13

Gothsheep wrote:Why don't you...fix the population numbers? I mean, you guys own the lore.
If you look at the lore in the encyclopedia, the sector descriptions in game, and how the sectors actually look like, you will notice that these three things rarely match up. The ingame sectors seem to mostly follow aesthetic reasons so they don't look that boring. And of course limited art assets.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 03:29

Ulan Dhor wrote:
Gothsheep wrote:Why don't you...fix the population numbers? I mean, you guys own the lore.
If you look at the lore in the encyclopedia, the sector descriptions in game, and how the sectors actually look like, you will notice that these three things rarely match up. The ingame sectors seem to mostly follow aesthetic reasons so they don't look that boring. And of course limited art assets.
Right, I get that. I'm just saying, assuming the design tools aren't nightmarish, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to edit the values for a sector. Then you just have the spreadsheet for the sector values or whatever on one side of the screen, and the sector descriptions on the other. Then you go though and read the two-sentence description for the sector and go, "Oh, this is the homeworld for the Teladi? It'll have a massive population. 14 billion. This sector has no planets but is heavily traveled and has lots of stations? four thousand. This sector was destroyed by the Xenon and only pirates go there now? Nine hundred."

Like, I'm a writer, and I love little details like that. I actually would like to know about the population of a sector. I kind of want to know what the crew compliment of a Colossus is, so that I can imagine how many grumbling underlings I have when I buy one. Little details like that make the game seem a lot more lived in to me.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 03:52

Gothsheep wrote:
Ulan Dhor wrote:
Right, I get that. I'm just saying, assuming the design tools aren't nightmarish, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to edit the values for a sector. Then you just have the spreadsheet for the sector values or whatever on one side of the screen, and the sector descriptions on the other. Then you go though and read the two-sentence description for the sector and go, "Oh, this is the homeworld for the Teladi? It'll have a massive population. 14 billion. This sector has no planets but is heavily traveled and has lots of stations? four thousand. This sector was destroyed by the Xenon and only pirates go there now? Nine hundred."

Like, I'm a writer, and I love little details like that. I actually would like to know about the population of a sector. I kind of want to know what the crew compliment of a Colossus is, so that I can imagine how many grumbling underlings I have when I buy one. Little details like that make the game seem a lot more lived in to me.
Oh, I fully agree with the sentiment. But as I said above, someone actually made the effort to change the numbers between games, but I have no idea why.

And that you chose the "Teladi homeworld" as example is somehow fitting. The sector description of Seizewell still claims that this is it.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 08:48

Gothsheep wrote: Why don't you...fix the population numbers?
I'm not sure how I would go about doing that, considering I don't work for Egosoft and never have... :roll:

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 11:33

Fixed Population Numbers, maybe add them to the Bonus Pack in the near/late future?

Very much doubt it would affect any of the features in the script seeing as it's just altering Description Text, right?

PDouma39
xr

Post by PDouma39 » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 13:31

You can change the population in the x3-universe map, if you want to edit anyway, I don't know if that would make you 'modified' or not.
Awareness in life is rewarded by many

ACID SCOUT

Post by ACID SCOUT » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 13:51

PDouma39 wrote:You can change the population in the x3-universe map, if you want to edit anyway, I don't know if that would make you 'modified' or not.
oh sure, I edit the population numbers all the time ... With lasers!

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 13:53

The numbers are population numbers before xenon arrived and killed everyone?
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 16:49

That would be very time consuming for little immersive value (IMHO). I'd sooner right three or so lines of MD code that drops all population counts to zero.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 23:12

pjknibbs wrote:
Gothsheep wrote: Why don't you...fix the population numbers?
I'm not sure how I would go about doing that, considering I don't work for Egosoft and never have... :roll:
Ah, my apologies. I thought the EGOSOFT below your name meant you were a company employee.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”