EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Should X support another language for scripting?
View previous topic :: View next topic
bluenog143

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 17. Aug 12, 04:42    Post subject: Should X support another language for scripting? Reply with quote Print

So I was tinkering with the script editor in TC/AP trying to experiment on stuff like chicken soup, and then I had a thought.
I didn't know where to put this, but I saw a similar thread in the X:R section. Since this is S&M related I thought I'd post here.
Do you think there should be support for another language (Lua, C++, etc.) for X scripting? Whether it's X3TC/X3AP or X:Rebirth, what do you think?

Personally I would have to say yes. Here are my reasons:

1) Languages like lua and c++ (to name a few) have been around for awhile and so they're pretty established.

2) Both of these languages have been used for games and still are (and some other languages of course), and they have track records.

3) It's a lot easier to get resources and learn a language that's as widespread as lua and c++ (as well as some other languages)

4) Languages like lua and c++ could bring MANY new capabilities to X, and expand further on scripting.

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."

Dark_Ansem wrote:
Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Jack08

PostPosted: Fri, 17. Aug 12, 06:12    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

There is a major, major difference between a programming language, and a scripting language. There is also major differences between a compiled language and an interpreted language

The MSCI is an Interpreted Scripting Language.

C++ is not a scripting language, it is a compiled programming language, it cant be serialized programatically without direct help from the person programming the script, being a compiled language means that every change will require a reboot of the game to execute - or if your lucky enough to be able to get Edit-And-Continue to actually function most of the time your still forced to reboot the program

LUA, while being a interpreted scripting language language, is just as hard to serialize (in some cases worse), and to make LUA viable in X would require a unique LUA_STATE for every single entity in the game, considering there is sometimes upwards of 10,000 entity's in X, were talking hundreds of megabytes of memory overhead just to run the game without any scripts at all.

While yes, LUA would be possible with some creativity (i already have and idea of how to solve the above), Its never going to happen.

I think that's all that can be said, its never going to happen - There isn't any point in theorizing about it.

the MSCI is actually quite powerful, you just need to wrap your head around procedural programming, rather then object oriented programming, which can be difficult for some people as even the language were speaking right now (english) is object oriented.

"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire
Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

PostPosted: Fri, 17. Aug 12, 09:42    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

i do plan to add Lua into my custom gui so it can be programmed better for use in the game.

but thats a long way off just yet

bluenog143

PostPosted: Fri, 17. Aug 12, 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I had no idea that MSCI was procedural! Also, I had heard a bit about compiled and interpreted, but I never knew that scripting and programming were different things. I didn't know that the scripts were executed in order either.

For X3 I agree that support for something like Lua isn't going to happen. Probably not with X:R, but then again it is a new engine and new game and it might not need something like Lua.

@Cycrow Which game, X3 or X:R?

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."

Dark_Ansem wrote:
Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

PostPosted: Fri, 17. Aug 12, 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

the custom gui works for X3R, X3TC and X3AP