Pirate assassination missions should not choose pirate targets.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zippo342
x3tc

Pirate assassination missions should not choose pirate targets.

Post by Zippo342 » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 13:11

Recently I've been trying to improve my pirate relations a bit faster by doing missions for them. However it came to my attention that assassination missions from a pirate station often have pirate targets which actually hurt my rep to complete. This is very annoying as it effectively removes one class of mission I can do for them easily :/
Streaming most nights 1800-0000ish at www.twitch.tv/chthonicone/

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 13:19

Are you sure it was a pirate that offered the mission? Often other races will hang-out at pirate stations and also offer missions.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 14:08

Usually the rep hit is actually smaller than the rep gain from the mission.

A better mission type is performed in Pirate sectors, like Haktikvah's Faith. It asks you to scan for cargo. Unlike the 'legal' version, which will never spawn any ships with illegals, the pirate variant will count anything that's cargo as mission acceptable. That means any freighter/freight transporters, and military ships with cargo will count. (Military ships that have only equipped weapons do not count. So a Destroyer with unequipped guns will count, but one with all it's guns equipped does not. Or rather it will, but you'll only get that small amount of cargo it has.

If you're lucky and run into an M7M (Missile frigates, like the Minotaur, or Gannet) the missiles they're not currently mounting count as cargo.

Those missions can easily run into the millions, particularly if you have a fast ship with a freight scanner. Since it's in pirate space you won't lose rep from the other races, and since you're not hurting the pirates you'll only get Pirate Rep gain.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 14:17

Triaxx2 wrote:Usually the rep hit is actually smaller than the rep gain from the mission.

A better mission type is performed in Pirate sectors, like Haktikvah's Faith. It asks you to scan for cargo. Unlike the 'legal' version, which will never spawn any ships with illegals, the pirate variant will count anything that's cargo as mission acceptable. That means any freighter/freight transporters, and military ships with cargo will count. (Military ships that have only equipped weapons do not count. So a Destroyer with unequipped guns will count, but one with all it's guns equipped does not. Or rather it will, but you'll only get that small amount of cargo it has.

If you're lucky and run into an M7M (Missile frigates, like the Minotaur, or Gannet) the missiles they're not currently mounting count as cargo.

Those missions can easily run into the millions, particularly if you have a fast ship with a freight scanner. Since it's in pirate space you won't lose rep from the other races, and since you're not hurting the pirates you'll only get Pirate Rep gain.
Wow...this is a really great news !!

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 14:22

Also, if you have your own TL and access to the Commonwealth Stations, build missions are great for Pirates, gives quite a good rep boost, as well as creating more economy for them, and more mission spawn possibilities :P
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 15:27

We have close to NON informations about mission objectives. What races they are and such.... this kind of stuff is on the lame side of X series.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 15:28

In fully-patched X3TC at least, if you do a defend station mission for a Pirate-owned station, you will usually have a Commonwealth race fleet come in to attack the station (sometimes Yaki). Destroying that would raise your Pirate rep no end, but obviously severely upset the race of the incoming fleet.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 17:47

Interesting about the ship scanning missions. However Virtuallaughing is correct about never knowing if it's a pirate mission or not. I mean sometimes you can tell if it's an argon pirate, as they are notably different, but the other races it's quite hard to tell :/

As far as the station defense missions, I know about that, that is why I already avoid those D:< I don't need my rank dropped, and I have been building stations for them whenever possible.

Currently though my best source of rep with them seems to be my CLS2 pilot that jumps around selling them weed. I'm looking into adding booze to the mix as well.

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 18:22

I get tons of "I'm undercover in the pirate faction bla bla" .. Dude, I am a pirate, legit, but still a pirate. I wish there were a command to rat someone out for a nice rep exchange :)

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 19:31

Zippo342 wrote:Interesting about the ship scanning missions. However Virtuallaughing is correct about never knowing if it's a pirate mission or not. I mean sometimes you can tell if it's an argon pirate, as they are notably different, but the other races it's quite hard to tell :/
Acually, once you get used to the mission dialog video, you can tell in your sleep which one is a pirate/Yaki. The pirate almost always wear an armor or something like that. The only gripe I have is that I can't tell the difference between a pirate and a Yaki.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 19:37

Zippo342 wrote:sometimes you can tell if it's an argon pirate, as they are notably different, but the other races it's quite hard to tell :/
Take a look here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=2986576

IMO the groups wearing ancient Japanese samuri armour (rather than bullet bandoliers etc) are Yaki, but this is completely untested
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 19:53

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Zippo342 wrote:sometimes you can tell if it's an argon pirate, as they are notably different, but the other races it's quite hard to tell :/

IMO the groups wearing ancient Japanese samuri armour (rather than bullet bandoliers etc) are Yaki, but this is completely untested
Would be nice, but no, Yaki use the exact same frames as normal Pirates... but I find generally, if it's a non-Yaki station/sector, that video means Pirate.
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 20:02

Snafu_X3 wrote:

Interesting, I never saw this thread. It explains a lot. I've been playing for a long time and I've never made the connection that some of these were pirates.

The teladi with an eyepatch is a dead givaway, but the boron armored like a tank? Not so much. I'll have to keep this page open when I go looking for missions in the future.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 20:06

You could try installing Kurush's Enhaced Briefings script. I use it and it gives me a MUCH better idea of who I'm dealing with :)

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sun, 12. Aug 12, 23:01

Looks like a good mod, the question is, did he/she ever get the hang of T files?

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 00:13

Zippo342 wrote:Looks like a good mod, the question is, did he/she ever get the hang of T files?
& whether the script makes things *modified* - I read through the lot a couple of months ago & couldn't come to a definitive conclusion

I'm not bothered about *modified* status (for uploading stats etc) per se, but it makes diagnosing any potential problems easier if you're not..
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 00:19

I'm already modified with a script I feel is required. Gazz's M.A.R.S. Turrets are just too stupid otherwise. I'm happy to even outfit the script on random NPC targets.

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 01:51

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Zippo342 wrote:Looks like a good mod, the question is, did he/she ever get the hang of T files?
& whether the script makes things *modified* - I read through the lot a couple of months ago & couldn't come to a definitive conclusion

I'm not bothered about *modified* status (for uploading stats etc) per se, but it makes diagnosing any potential problems easier if you're not..
I just started using that one last night (found it through this thread), and I can safely say it doesn't make your game **modified**. Also is a damn good mod :P
[ external image ]
***modified***

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 02:09

argon_emperor wrote:I just started using that one last night (found it through this thread), and I can safely say it doesn't make your game **modified**.
Which game are you playing?

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 09:01

Snafu_X3 wrote:
argon_emperor wrote:I just started using that one last night (found it through this thread), and I can safely say it doesn't make your game **modified**.
Which game are you playing?
AP 2.5.1
[ external image ]
***modified***

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”