X3: AP Turret Control Issues

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ponderer

X3: AP Turret Control Issues

Post by Ponderer » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 21:17

Greetings everyone! I am somewhat experienced in the X universe, having played for a while. However, I suddenly find myself quite vexed. I originally got an Argon Griffon Sentinel as my first combat ship, with flak artillery arrays and HEPT's for combat. I went to Nepilios Memorial and came upon a Teladi battleship gating into Xenon Sector 101.

Eager to try out my new ship, I followed. During the course of the battle, I seem to have somehow opened a turret control menu that I cannot find since. It seemed I was in a menu that let me choose exactly how my turrets prioritize its attack. And, apparently, I must have removed missile interception from the 'Missile Defense' autopilot priority.

Through good fortune I was able to complete the run and leave after having gained many a combat rank, however, I now have 120 MK II Fighter Drones, and 9 fully equipped Eclipse fighters to assist my next attack run, however, with missile defense not defending against missiles, I do not last very long.

Any help would be appreciated, how can I restore 'Missile Defense' to its previous target priorities?

Edit - Also, rather than making a new topic, I find myself wondering if there is a way to have a player owned complex 'feed' a product to a docked ship. In example, I would like to have my complex feed its missiles and expendable fighter drones to a docked ship or ships so that the space stations low maximum item capacity does not stop production on items such as these where I want a large number on hand.
Last edited by Ponderer on Mon, 30. Jul 12, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

AngryNewb

Post by AngryNewb » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 21:22

Can someone also explain this missile defence thing in detail, as if you were speaking to a complete X3 idiot (me) while you're at it?

Because I keep seeing refernces to all this but it's confusing and a really good step by step on the entire missile defence thing would be grade a.
---------------

This game will give me a mothercopulating heart attack.

Ponderer

Post by Ponderer » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 21:35

I can try there!

Missile Defense is a turret command that is unlocked via the Fight Command Software mk II, which can be purchased in many different places (and I'm looking at it right now in the Cloud Base Southeast Equipment Dock). Missile Defense is a more advanced command that has a turret targeting missiles for eradication without the turret being solely focused on only attacking missiles (without missiles to target, it will attack nearby enemies).

For the player to have this command available, they need to have a ship with a viable turret, and the prerequisite software.

T3Lunaris

Post by T3Lunaris » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 22:32

I seem to have somehow opened a turret control menu that I cannot find since. It seemed I was in a menu that let me choose exactly how my turrets prioritize its attack. And, apparently, I must have removed missile interception from the 'Missile Defense' autopilot priority.
The menu your talking about is the turret customization menu, it's found in the options menu (same menu with the save load graphics etc) under gameplay, it allows you to alter the default turret commands as well as create three new turret commands (alpha, beta, gamma) I've found it to be a useful way to tell my anti fighter turrets to attack hostile fighters first before I get attacked and also target missiles that are fired at me.

Ponderer

Post by Ponderer » Tue, 31. Jul 12, 08:45

That worked quite perfectly! Thank you very much T3Lunaris! As for my freighter problem, I'm trying the Commodity Logistics software once more, wondering if my previous troubles - getting a freighter to simply take and hold a product from my complex - was actually user error.

Mr_Blastman
x4

Post by Mr_Blastman » Wed, 5. Feb 14, 01:07

Digging up an old thread...

Is there a way to use hotkeys to change the turret modes in AP?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 5. Feb 14, 03:03

Mr_Blastman wrote:Is there a way to use hotkeys to change the turret modes in AP?
Switch Turret Orders claims to do that (I have not tried it).

Note that AP's Missile Defense scripts do a pretty good job of managing priorities. They shoot down incoming missiles first, then defend the ship. Any nearby enemies (that shoot at you) will be targeted without your having to change anything.

The only time that you really need an Attack... script on your turrets is when you are attacking something that does not shoot back (such as a station).

Mr_Blastman
x4

Post by Mr_Blastman » Wed, 5. Feb 14, 03:06

DrBullwinkle wrote:
Mr_Blastman wrote:Is there a way to use hotkeys to change the turret modes in AP?

Note that AP's Missile Defense scripts do a pretty good job of managing priorities. They shoot down incoming missiles first, then defend the ship. Any nearby enemies (that shoot at you) will be targeted without your having to change anything.

The only time that you really need an Attack... script on your turrets is when you are attacking something that does not shoot back (such as a station).
Hmm, yeah. I'm using X-Tended and I find for some strange reason if I put stuff in like the mod manager, parts of X-Tended get porked badly. Dunno what that is all about. I think that script is mod manager free so it might work.

Thanks!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 5. Feb 14, 03:29

If you did a full installation of the Plugin Manager, then you can right-click on any .spk and choose "Extract to .zip file".

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Wed, 5. Feb 14, 08:28

DrBullwinkle wrote: Note that AP's Missile Defense scripts do a pretty good job of managing priorities. They shoot down incoming missiles first, then defend the ship. Any nearby enemies (that shoot at you) will be targeted without your having to change anything.

Just make sure every Turret command (except Missiles Only) has Attack My Target somewhere on the priority list (usually last thing on the list).

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Feb 14, 00:46

Mr_Blastman wrote:
DrBullwinkle wrote:

Hmm, yeah. I'm using X-Tended and I find for some strange reason if I put stuff in like the mod manager, parts of X-Tended get porked badly. Dunno what that is all about. I think that script is mod manager free so it might work.

Thanks!
Two things here. Digging up old threads is generally discouraged unless they're listed in the Guides sticky. Also, all discussion of modded games should be done in the appropriate thread(s) in the S&M forum. With that in mind, I'm going to lock this thread. If you have a vanilla gameplay problem, feel free to create your own thread.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”