EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Mines(squash, tracker, anti matter) is there realy any use fo them?
View previous topic :: View next topic
samoja

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:24    Post subject: Mines(squash, tracker, anti matter) is there realy any use fo them? Reply with quote Print

In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face, in X however i cant see a use for them, maybe if they had friend-foe recognition system you could use them for protecting your property(although considering the price you are probably better off using ships) but rely, the AI is far from being able to handle a simple tailing, best it can do is just(possibly crash into you or something else) turn around, repeat, and deploying them around base practically ensures you get no customers whatsoever(god forbid you try sending your own freighters out), combined with the fact they are illegal to most races it rely seems they are just there so they would be there, just to fill the form, and no real use.

greypanther

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Not in my experience, no. Smile

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Have you actually tried dropping a small mine field behind you and then activating it just as the bad guy chasing you approaches it? Evil Laugh

samoja

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
Have you actually tried dropping a small mine field behind you and then activating it just as the bad guy chasing you approaches it? Evil Laugh
Well most of the time the "bad guy" was trying to not get toasted by my HEPT fire, and his buddies were just flying around like headless flies spewing potshots at me.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

If you're that close, you don't want to be dropping mines, anyway. They have a pretty large blast radius. They're more for area denial, and not really designed for dogfighting. Razz

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Also why say "In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face" as if it does not work in X3 and when you haven't really tried it? It actually works rather well if done correctly when you are running in a straight line from a pursuing ship, group or swarm.

In case anyone is unsure, all types of explosive mines will act, have effects and be used similarly. There are no differences by type apart from name, sources and cost.

samoja

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Also why say "In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face" as if it does not work in X3 and when you haven't really tried it? It actually works rather well if done correctly when you are running from a ship, group or swarm.

Because in Freelancer you often had a guy trailing you(which you could not shake) especially in MP, so showing a mine up his throat was a good solution, here tough your enemies are not smart enough to stay on your tail and the fact that mines are illegal, and that they can blow up in your own face means they are rely not a good thing to have onboard just so you can space a few buggers in 1 out of 1000 situations, Drones are better for that task anyway, they are legal, last longer and always hit (correct) target. and if you are far enough to drop mines safely, you are most likely far enough to get the hell away.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

modified
PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

You said " ... you are most likely far enough to get the hell away". Not if you are in a freighter and cannot jump away .... Sure, it is not frequently an optimum tactic, but that doesn't mean that you cannot do it. I have many times - and it works. Dropping LTs works too (in TC but not AP though). Surely you like a bit of variety in your games now and again?

Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:08; edited 1 time in total
Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

samoja wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Also why say "In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face" as if it does not work in X3 and when you haven't really tried it? It actually works rather well if done correctly when you are running from a ship, group or swarm.

Because in Freelancer you often had a guy trailing you(which you could not shake) especially in MP, so showing a mine up his throat was a good solution, here tough your enemies are not smart enough to stay on your tail and the fact that mines are illegal, and that they can blow up in your own face means they are rely not a good thing to have onboard just so you can space a few buggers in 1 out of 1000 situations, Drones are better for that task anyway, they are legal, last longer and always hit (correct) target. and if you are far enough to drop mines safely, you are most likely far enough to get the hell away.

That's your opinion, and just because you haven't found a good use for them doesn't mean others haven't. And mines are in the game for those others to use. Let me put it another way. Things like the mines are there to give the player choices. Even though something may not fit a given player's style, they may be just perfect for someone else. The game is full of that kind of variety, and without it, it would probably be a bit boring. Wink

As for using drones instead, I say PAH! Show me a drone that can take out a whole gang of pirates, from M5's to M3's, with one shot. A SQUASH mine can if used properly. And in the X-Universe, I've had enemies chase me many a time that I had a hard time getting away from, especially in my TS. Most of those times I didn't have a mine in my cargo hold, although I found myself wishing I did. Drones die easily, and don't pack that big of a punch. Mines kill everything instantly. Drones have their place, but so do mines.

samoja

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
You said " ... you are most likely far enough to get the hell away". Not if you are in a freighter and cannot jump away .... Sure, it is not frequently an optimum tactic, but that doesn't mean that you cannot do it. I have many times - and it works. Dropping LTs works too. Surely you like a bit of variety in your games now and again?

Sure i do, but in my opinion mines would get about 200% increase in their usefulness if they were 1. legal, and 2. had a friend-foe recognition system, that would make them a viable option to use in combat, as it is they are not worth the hassle, they just aren't.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

PostPosted: Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Pretty sure the only places all mines are classified as illegal are in Argon and Boron space. The other races actually produce most of them, so in the vast majority of the universe they're perfectly legal. The only mines that are classed as illegal in all five Commonwealth races sectors are matter/anti-matter mines (probably because they're Terran in origin). Ion mines and SQUASH mines are legal everywhere else.

As for friend/foe recognition, yes and no. You can turn them on and off if they're your own, though, giving you ultimate control.

Aragosnat

PostPosted: Thu, 5. Jul 12, 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
Pretty sure the only places all mines are classified as illegal are in Argon and Boron space. The other races actually produce most of them, so in the vast majority of the universe they're perfectly legal. The only mines that are classed as illegal in all five Commonwealth races sectors are matter/anti-matter mines (probably because they're Terran in origin). Ion mines and SQUASH mines are legal everywhere else.

As for friend/foe recognition, yes and no. You can turn them on and off if they're your own, though, giving you ultimate control.

Ion Mines and Squish Mines are illegal in Argon and Boron space. So not every where. <- <That is what Nanook said. Alan Phipps.>

TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.
Killjaeden

PostPosted: Thu, 5. Jul 12, 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

If you dare to modify your game you can get a script that launches mines per hotkey with preset fuse (no manual tracking/timing necessary after drop). You obviously need to aquire Mines first of course Wink

Tutorial Custom Turrets; Guide advice on placing turrets; Guide Performance of Models
Osiris454

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Jul 12, 07:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Would it be possible to modify a mine to have the detonating power of a large missile? Like a Firestorm Torpedo?

jack775544

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Jul 12, 09:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Have you ever read this example. To sum it up 100 SQUASH mines = a dead anything.