EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Advantage of an unlocked cell phone
View previous topic :: View next topic
stealthhammer

PostPosted: Mon, 18. Jun 12, 15:23    Post subject: Advantage of an unlocked cell phone Reply with quote Print

I've been reading a lot on this and I have been told that I can use another cell network which would be a wonderful thing since I travel to the Bahamas a lot now. Anyhow what are the advantage and disadvantage of unlocking my cell phone? I don't quite understand unlocking it though and I use a Galaxy SII. I already have it in sudo mode since I flashed the kernel for it.

Is it really as simple as plopping say a Tmobile sim card in it?

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstine
saibot

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 18. Jun 12, 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

If you have a mobile without SIM-lock, yes. I don't know if root access on your phone = no SIM lock, though.

Drogenprohibition: GESCHEITERT, SCHÄDLICH und TEUER
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dantrithor

PostPosted: Mon, 18. Jun 12, 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Root access will not affect your SIM lock unless you tamper some more with it. To legally unlock it, you have to contact the provider you bought it from, and they have to give you a SIM-unlock code. They will most likely have instructions about how to unlock it, otherwise you can search in google how to do it after getting your code.

If you introduce a SIM card from a different provider while it's sim-locked by a company, it will show an error about invalid sim or something along those lines, and you will be unable to connect to any network.

silenced

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 18. Jun 12, 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

In a closer look, in our fast moving world SIM-locks and 24 month restrictions are, well, super slow-motion.

But of course: you can always buy an unlocked cell phone for the full price in the first way.

< Ich werde ab sofort auf eine korrekte Deutsche Rechtschreibung achten ! =) >
felter

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Jun 12, 03:09    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Wasn't there a court case a while back that decided that it was not illegal to unlock a phone.

I have a curiosity question, I have a virgin mobile pay as you go phone, now if I bought another virgin pay as you go phone could I just swap the sim cards.

Samuel Creshal

MEDAL

PostPosted: Tue, 19. Jun 12, 08:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

felter wrote:
I have a curiosity question, I have a virgin mobile pay as you go phone, now if I bought another virgin pay as you go phone could I just swap the sim cards.

Yes. SIM cards are just tied to the provider.

Buying unlocked phones saves you a lot of hassle, however.

stealthhammer

PostPosted: Wed, 20. Jun 12, 00:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I was just thinking that it would not only save my bill some when I'm overseas but also I feel that with my smartphone being locked its "There's" instead of "Mine".
Anyhow I'm not quite sure about how to go getting it unlocked, if I do contact my provided do they HAVE to tell me my unlock code? I'm in the USA so I dunno about our Federal Communication Commission stuff either Laughing

Edit - I thought I posted in off-topics, sorry.

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstine