Unexpected Modified Flag - Split from Cloning thread.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Unexpected Modified Flag - Split from Cloning thread.

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 20:26

Sort of related. My game got a modified status when all I installed was the "official" xtc_bonus_package_4.1.101. What gives?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 20:58

No, that is not related to your own cloning thread at all so split out. Have a search for the many, many threads on this topic such as this one.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:06

Actually it is if you read the content of the thread. But anyway, your linked thread and many of the others I've also previsouly read haven't helped me figure out why I get the modified tag. An annoyance I'd like EGOSOFT to fix.

Dank7430
x3ap

Post by Dank7430 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:11

Thrasher91604 wrote:Actually it is if you read the content of the thread. But anyway, your linked thread and many of the others I've also previsouly read haven't helped me figure out why I get the modified tag. An annoyance I'd like EGOSOFT to fix.
Chill man. Anyway a modified tag is almost entirely a fault at your end and nothing to do with Egosoft or there games. A common cause is your anti-virus.

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:13

I have no antivirus activated. As I said, I have read that advice already to no avail.

Dank7430
x3ap

Post by Dank7430 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:15

Thrasher91604 wrote:I have no antivirus activated. As I said, I have read that advice already to no avail.
Best bet then if you cant figure out what it is, is to roll back to an earlier save game and see if that has been hit with the modified tag.

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:21

it's been much too long since the activate flag went active (which was right away). So rolling back to an ealier save would serve no purpose.
Last edited by Thrasher91604 on Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Dank7430
x3ap

Post by Dank7430 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:24

Maybe someone else can help here, but im almost certain once added it can not be removed :/

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:28

Correct, once a save is modified it and everything following from it is marked for good. To get back to vanilla the thing that caused the modified has to be removed and then you need either a fresh gamestart or to load a vanilla gamesave.

The OP wrote "I have no antivirus activated". Then I would also suspect malware as a possible cause of the modified flag unless your gaming PC is totally isolated from the internet.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:30

Does the X3 map by Scorpio modify my game? I assumed since it seemed standalone it wouldn't effect the modified status.

Dank7430
x3ap

Post by Dank7430 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:32

Im not familiar with it but you would be better off asking in S&M. Though if it is a script/mod it is more than likely responsible. I would ask though for someone else to confirm as I said im not 100% sure.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:34

If you have the real-time interactive element (ie a running script) of Scorp's map installed then yes that will suffice to mark your game as modified. (It is an unsigned 3rd Party script.)

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:52

Yeah, that could be it, but I had intended NOT to install it to avoid this problem. Can't tell if I modified the script folder...

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 23:02

When I installed it [Scorp's] on my PC , I had an option to install it to the game (causes modified) , or to install it on it's own.
I chose the latter. :)

Unless your PC is totally isolated from the internet.and you are able to scan everything for virus etc., before you install to it. then your PC is at high risk of infection and/or data retrieval,(incl any personal bank details etc.).

Thrasher91604
x3tc

Post by Thrasher91604 » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 23:23

i rarely install sofware downloaded from the net, and have it checked first if I do. Nor do i click will nilly on weblinks. Careful use is much more effective than a virus scanner.

Coreblimey
x3tc

Post by Coreblimey » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 23:37

The only thing is anti-virus software can be a double edged sword. While it will keep your computer fairly safe from malicious attacks it can also prevent some programs from running correctly and you have to resort to other means to get them up and running properly. Of the two I prefer the former so I know all my passwords and valuable details are save. If it takes a little bit of work to get the few affected programs working okay, then that is a price I'm willing to pay.
If it doesn't work, give it a kick. If that doesn't fix it hit it with a hammer. If it still doesn't work, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!!!

Unknown Sector..... That's what you get for using Bing instead of Google!

Sabrina Bergin
xr

modified tag

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 08:32

playing vanilla ap this happened to me this weekend and i found it was caused by a java update annoying as the only clean save i had left cost me 1.5 billion credits and most of my acqured capital fleet. To avoid this i now check my ingame profile at the start and finnish of each playing session. oh well there were a few things i was going to change any way. :evil: :evil:

Mrreg
x3tc

Post by Mrreg » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 08:40

I ended up with the random modified tag as well, but I didn't want to backtrack to an unmodified save by the time I noticed it. Now, I have fully embraced some mods and have to say that I don't miss the achievements at all. I probably wasn't going to be uploading my game stats anyway, since I'm not a competitive sort. I suspect it was my Comodo firewall/defense software since it likes to poke its nose into everything that runs on my computer, but I like it that way. I know exactly what programs access what parts of the system and what they contact the internet for.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 09:23

You don't even have to pay for good protection either.

There very good free anti-virus,free fire-wall and free malware-checkers.
Choosing wisely can lock your PC down from invasive malicious software.

Some members on the forum use "virtual computing" to make their PC safe.
Although I see the merits of this,I have not tried it yet.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 10:11

TTD wrote:You don't even have to pay for good protection either.

There very good free anti-virus,free fire-wall and free malware-checkers.
Choosing wisely can lock your PC down from invasive malicious software.

Some members on the forum use "virtual computing" to make their PC safe.
Although I see the merits of this,I have not tried it yet.
ie: Using Virtual Machine software - VMWare (VMWare Wiki here)

Basically, you set up a "virtual" machine on your computer. Everything is "virtual." There are no "real" OS's to corrupt, no drivers to bust, no hard-drives to infect, etc.. It's all virtual. And, if something does happen, you reset it and <poof> you have your virtual machine back at its desired state, no harm done. That's not to say that your "virtual machine" can't be harmed. But, if it is, fixing the problem is only one step away and there's no permanent harm done.

As far as "modified" tags go, my game is tagged that way and the only thing I can think of is that, somehow, my anti-virus did something X3 didn't like. Oh well, not like I wasn't eventually going to mod it anyway. I also don't do Steam, so no problem there. Though, it would have been nice to upload my accomplishments to Egosoft for funsies. No matter, if I want to do that then I'll start a new game.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”