Bullwinkle's List

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 21. Aug 12, 23:27

Improved Boarding
DrBullwinkle's Hacked Version

Download: Improved Boarding (Version 1.24a)

Download: Improved Boarding (Bullwinkle's Hacked Version 1.23.04c) <== Older (Classic) Version

• Version 1.24a includes:
  • New ware: Lower cost to match typical usage.
  • If installation of the ware fails, then the script will use the vanilla Transporter Device.
  • Improved Spacewalk Boarding. Marines are teleported close to the target ship before they begin boarding.
  • Thank you to mystermask for the FRENCH language file.

[ external image ]

For X3TC or X3AP.

Thanks to Cycrow for his famous script, with a few additions of my own. Original Thread (Cycrow)

Original Features
  • Hotkey(s) to launch marines (instead of cumbersome menus).
  • More reliable spacewalking.
  • Optional Boarding Transporter is more reliable than spacewalking. Requires you to remain near the target, which can be a challenge in itself.
  • Optional NPC boarding parties (can board your ships!). Capture them to get pre-trained marines.

My Hacks
  • Improved spacewalking reliability by teleporting marines near the target.
  • Improved spacewalking speed.
  • Lowered cost of custom ware.
  • If the custom ware does not install properly then script will use the vanilla Transporter Device for boarding.
  • Doubled Transporter distance because some ships are too large for the original values.
  • Improved spacewalk reliability by transporting marines near to target ship. (Fixes some collision-avoidance problems).
  • Spacewalk launch hotkeys now send only the correct number of marines for the target. Use multiple launches for more marines.
  • Added configurable options to t file, including use of standard Transporter Device instead of expensive Boarding Transporter.
Requires
  • Ware Manager (included, by default, with the Plugin Manager)
History
  • v1.24 (2013-05-29)
    - Changed custom ware. Now easier to purchase earlier in the game.
    - Changed default to require the Boarding Transporter in order to use it (because it is now less expensive).
    - Improved spacewalk boarding.
    - Replaced maths libs with single script .bw.fwd.project (called by .dropspeed).
    - Thank you to mystermask for the FRENCH language file!

v1.23.04 (2012-12-23)
    - Added missing t files. (Friznit)

v1.23.03 (2012-12-19)
    - Fixed a bug that caused jet pack speed to be (permanently) too slow.
    - Improved Spacewalking reliability by partially compensating for collision avoidance problems.
    (Uses standard Transporter Device to beam marines near the target ship.)
    - Added adjustable values to t file.
    - Increased default values for transporter range and spacewalk launch distances to deal with large target ship sizes (TL+).

v1.23.02 (2012-10-02)
    - Increase boarding transporter range to 3 km (Scion Drakhar)

v1.23
    - Cycrow's original version: Improved Boarding (Cycrow).
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Fri, 28. Feb 14, 21:58, edited 20 times in total.

Ranom
x3ap

Post by Ranom » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 00:30

Thanks a ton, I'll check it out. :)

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 18:59

Hey, where do you buy the upgrade kits?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 19:04

joelR wrote:Hey, where do you buy the upgrade kits?
At the Upgrade Kit Foundry in Getsu Fune.

It is a Goner station, and the name changes every few seconds, but it should be there. :)

You can also buy them at TerraCorp HQ in Home of Light.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 22. Aug 12, 19:17

Great thanks. Havent explored much of the universe yet. Ill go plant some satellites there.

TheEarl
x3ap

Post by TheEarl » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 11:02

Hi again !

I used 'Super Script Killer Hotkey' and it is a really good thing.
Normally you cant take over bailed pirate ships from missions.
There are other solutions, i think, but if i use the hotkey on them, they are ok. I dont know, if they have a bad job, that prevents me from taking them or if it is another bug.
But one thing: i used it randomly on my own TM with docked ships. After this, the ships where gone (not undocked). Does your script clear the enviroment ? Or are they at sector null now ? If you need more testing by me, please tell me, what to do.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 15:45

TheEarl wrote:I used 'Super Script Killer Hotkey' and it is a really good thing.

Thanks for the report, Earl!
Normally you cant take over bailed pirate ships from missions.
There are other solutions, i think, but if i use the hotkey on them, they are ok.

Yes, there are other solutions, but none are as thorough as SSK. I made SSK because the other solutions are incomplete in one way or another.
I dont know, if they have a bad job, that prevents me from taking them or if it is another bug.

Typical problems are a script running on the ship that does not end when the ship changes ownership (could be a job) or that the ship has already been targeted by other ships. If you steal a ship from a Return Ship mission it will fall into the latter category.
i used it randomly on my own TM with docked ships.
Ooh, yeah. That would be bad! I did not anticipate that, and I will update the main post to warn people not to do it. If you run SSK on a ship with docked ships, the docked ships will be destroyed. Sorry. But thanks for letting us know!

TheEarl
x3ap

Post by TheEarl » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 16:06

Thanks for the report, Earl!
Always a plessure :-)
Ooh, yeah. That would be bad! I did not anticipate that, and I will update the main post to warn people not to do it. If you run SSK on a ship with docked ships, the docked ships will be destroyed. Sorry. But thanks for letting us know!
I havn't checked the script, but a possible workaround is to put the ships to another temporary enviroment (or sector null?) and back after. Or if this is not possible, simple do not run it on a ship with docked ships.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 16:12

TheEarl wrote:do not run it on a ship with docked ships.
I might be able to fix it so that it will work on carriers with docked ships. I can certainly stop the script and warn the player in-game. Good idea.

One way or the other, I will post an update. I may also add a way to run the script from a menu (in addition to the hotkey).
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Thu, 23. Aug 12, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

TheEarl
x3ap

Post by TheEarl » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 19:19

Well, i tried it with success :-)

I loooked at Hangar Manager by Lucike.
(So better credit him)

I added this code after the passengers routine in your 'lib.bw.clone.ship'.
Feel free to use it !

Code: Select all

* docked ships
  $Array.dockedShips = $target.ship->get ship array from sector/ship/station
  $asize = size of array $Array.dockedShips
  while $asize > 0
    dec $asize =
    $dockedShip = $Array.dockedShips[$asize]
    $dockedShip->put into environment $newShip
    $dockedShip->send signal {SIGNAL_DOCKED} : arg1=null, arg2=null, arg3=null, arg4=null
  end

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 19:26

TheEarl wrote:Well, i tried it with success :-)
Oh, good thinking, Earl. I was going to call SSK recursively. But it should not be necessary on the docked ships, so your solution is quick, easy, and effective.

I will include it in the next version of SSK. Thanks!

TheEarl
x3ap

Post by TheEarl » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 21:13

Your solution would do the script killilng on the docked ships, too.
Its your choice.

One thought to this is:
There can be a mission, where a npc ship docks at your ship.
So if the owner of a docked ship is not the owner of the carrier, then only move it and don't kill the script. Maybe the mission won't break then.
(Yes, I think too much)

But I have other questions:
Is it save to install your hacked version of 'Improved Boarding' over Cycrows version ? I agree in most hacks you did, the most important for me is the doubled range that I would do on myself. What is interessting, is the constant speed.

Then a question about boarding pods to fragmentation:
Can they be destroyed by random ?
I think MARS ignores them, but they are not indestructable.
Is this correct ?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 21:31

It would be unusual for docked ships to require SSK, so your solution should work for most cases. It has the advantage of being done and partially tested. :)

Yes, you can install my version of Improved Boarding over Cycrow's, although that will result in two entries in the Plugin Manager. To keep the PM interface clean, just uninstall Cycrow's version before installing mine.

I made the space walking speed constant after watching my marines in flight. The original script seemed to slow the marines down too quickly, as if the WAITs were not working properly. I experimented with different WAIT times but could not get the loop to function correctly, so I simply commented it out.

The result is that the marines can actually space walk effectively, for the first time ever in either TC or AP. In my tests, it works much better than vanilla. I will be interested in hearing reports about the new space walking effectiveness.

Regarding making Boarding Pods fragmentation type, yes, they can still be destroyed. My test case was a MARS-equipped Xenon K (M2) with a bunch of flak cannons. That was the most extreme boarding situation that I could think of. :)

I tested multiple times (launching from a Sirokos with 30 marines in two waves). The results were that I lost marines on each attempt, but enough survived to capture the ship.

MARS certainly does not ignore fragmented missiles (including boarding pods). However, it cannot shoot down all of the fragments, so some get through. That is the essence of the mod: It makes boarding against advanced turret scripts possible. Not easy; but possible.

Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Thu, 23. Aug 12, 22:18, edited 3 times in total.

TheEarl
x3ap

Post by TheEarl » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 21:43

Hehe, now i understand fragmentation = swarm missile.
I thought different and was wondering about this.
Thanks for the explanation.

Do i have to uninstall Improved boarding in game via script ?
Or is it ok to uninstall and directly install your version and then start the game ?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 23. Aug 12, 21:49

TheEarl wrote:is it ok to uninstall and directly install your version and then start the game ?
Yes, that. Do it all in the PM. It's not even a required step; it just keeps your Plugin Manager list neat.

Thias
x3tc

Post by Thias » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 09:41

Hi there!
I just "found" your script killer. It made my day. I lost about 30 ships to that vanishing ship bug, one of those my hard earned Yokohama. :evil:
I have a little (I hope it really is... :D ) request for you. Could you please make the script call recursive for docked ships? I have the Salvage command suit and NPC-Bailing. After a big fight I start my sector salvager to claim all derelict ships for me. They then dock at a carrier (it's a really big one modded in from family pride game start). Usually I have 50+ ships docked afterwards. And exactly there they disappear after some time.

When I think about it: It would make even more sense if it would be possible to call scriptkiller for all docked ships EXCEPT the carrier.
Please :D
"Jetzt zeige ich dir, wie ein Borone kämpft!" - "Ziel verlässt Feuerrreichweite."
"Jetzt zeige ich dir, wie ein Borone kämpft!" - "Hier ist mein Schiff."

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 19:43

I am glad you like Super Script Killer, Thias. Thanks for the report!

I can probably make SSK recursive. That will settle the question that TheEarl raised a few days ago.

If you don't hear from me in a week, poke me with a stick or something. :)

Thias
x3tc

Post by Thias » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 22:54

Thank you.

I noticed a glitch while using your script. I remember havin this problem a while ago, when I was playing TC XTC Mod. Some ships, that I took over seem to hide there equipement from certain menus. I have a Vali for example. I transferred some lasers to her. I can use those lasers, but I am not able to remove them. They somply do not apppear in the ware exchange list. If I exchange something, lets say energy cells, and I transfer all of them to the Vali, the line with the Energy cells vanishes completely just after pressing Enter to confirm the ware exchange.
One other thing about those ships: their cargo hold seems to be too full compaired to the quantity of wares they have stored.

Did you ever come across that kind of problem?
"Jetzt zeige ich dir, wie ein Borone kämpft!" - "Ziel verlässt Feuerrreichweite."
"Jetzt zeige ich dir, wie ein Borone kämpft!" - "Hier ist mein Schiff."

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 23:01

Thias wrote:Some ships, that I took over seem to hide there equipement from certain menus. ... They simply do not appear in the ware exchange list.
I have seen that problem but I use SSK to FIX it.

I do not know what causes the problem, but it is not SSK. (Probably)

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 00:21

Another thought regarding ships that do not show all wares in the freight transfer dialog:

The times when it happened to me were when I was experimenting with ship modifications. I suspect that it has something to do with a mismatch between TShips and the Saved Game (although I have no conclusive test cases).

In any case, SSK has always fixed the problem for me.

I will be curious if you find more information about this behavior.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”