Do you recomend a DID game for me ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Maddy21
x4

Do you recomend a DID game for me ?

Post by Maddy21 » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 15:57

Basically i have been playing X3 for a few days maybe 2-3 .. I don't even have my first free trader yet. But i know the ropes of the games and am familiar with the controls..

I was wondering.. I haven't explored much sectors yet and i don't whats where and what to expect.. Do you think this would make for a good DID game ?

An excitement of fearing death while exploring a sector you have never seen before ... think it might be fun..like DID game-play excitement multiplied ?

lubnius
x4

Post by lubnius » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 16:04

if i were you, with your experience in X3, no

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Re: Do you recomend a DID game for me ?

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 16:22

Maddy21 wrote:An excitement of fearing death while exploring a sector you have never seen before ... think it might be fun..like DID game-play excitement multiplied ?
It would. But just bear in mind that as someone new to the game then as you said yourself, you don't know what's out there, you're unfamiliar with what might be dangerous so chances are extremely good you will die.

Maddy21
x4

Post by Maddy21 » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 16:40

You are the sole reason i wanna play DID :lol:

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 17:31

yeah, Nuklear's stories are classic - they should be included in the Superbox :D

regarding the advice - if you feel like starting one go ahead if it will make you enjoy the game more, but as Nuklear Slug said you will die. There are just many little things you need to remember in order to stay alive

vtecem
x4

Post by vtecem » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 17:48

If you haven't mastered dogfighting and/or boarding, I would recommend getting more familiar with those aspects first. Unless you love trading as your main income, dogfighting is your main source at least in the beginning. It will also save your life having the skills nessessary to survive the beginning days of having no money and practically no shields.

All of this advice is of course under the assumption that you'll be taking a more combat approach to DID. Of course you can make a DID game as humble trader and just set your own rules.

Just my 2 cents.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: Do you recomend a DID game for me ?

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 19:55

Maddy21 wrote:i don't whats where and what to expect...

An excitement of fearing death while exploring a sector you have never seen before ... think it might be fun..like DID game-play excitement multiplied ?
It could be extremely fun! Just Do It.

Some of the best DiD's cheat on the actual dead-is-dead part, so ignore those who fear for your safety. :) The story far outweighs the "rules", and you could make an excellent story out of your fresh experiences.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 21:33

I have played since X2 The Threat.

Imposing your own rules on your games is one thing.

But as I have played the trading role much more than the fighter role, I tried the official DID, just to get a taste of what's out there.

I soon realized I need to be much more experienced in dog-fighting.
and good knowledge of all ship's equipment and the capabilities of the ship you are flying,compared with your own abilities to utilize them. has to be taken into consideration.

I lasted through 3 sectors before being blown out by emerging enemies at the next gate. :oops:

I think I'll stick to trading...fighting when I have to. :D

I have told you this , because ,by your own admission,you do not know the game very well yet.
And even with all my years in the game,I am not a good enough fighter pilot to last very long in DID.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 21:40

Fighting is not the most lethal thing in the game. The anomalies/bugs/autopillok are more likely to get you.

But, as I said, do not be discouraged by those who fear for your safety. Be bold. Do it.

If you "die", then it is not like the end of the world! :)

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 22:35

It can be tons and tons of fun. I've had great fun playing a Dead is Drunk. I have to start back at my last save on a station, waking up in the bar. It's still difficult because starting from the station can lose you time, but it's not quite as hardcore as Dead is Dead.

And you'll probably die, a lot, particularly if you annoy the Random Number Gods.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Maddy21
x4

Post by Maddy21 » Sat, 24. Mar 12, 23:10

So far playing as a smuggler its been exciting.. as a smuggler i always carry 1 crate of space fuel with me..

Whats a smuggler and his crew without a space fuel...

Sarganto

Post by Sarganto » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 13:50

There are just too many glitches and stuff, you have no control over whatsoever, that will kill you, that I would not recommend playing DiD to anyone in X3.

Just WAY to frustrating.
Cae caret ora cruore nostro?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 14:19

DiD yes. DiD mode NO.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 14:49

without even reading the other replies... NO

in my mind DiD is for advanced players only. i look at myself as an intermediate progressing to advaned player. before coming onto these forums i thought of myself as a pretty advanced player :oops: but once i realised what these guys can do i knew different.

ive played a few DiD games on TC (havn't on AP yet) but it really just ups how difficult that game becomes. even some of the best players on here can find certain circumstances difficult in a DiD game, and these are guys that go into Xenon sectors with no backup in a M3 and kill everything for some light fun.

before progressing onto a DiD game id learn the map pretty well, find what ships your comfortable in and what ones your not and where to find them. play through the campains and remember what you need to do. because the whole learning curve in new ships and experimenting with weapon load outs, missles etc could be the difference in completing a DiD or not.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 16:21

Dead is Dead is a hard mode (or style, depending on your preference) to play, even if you know the game inside out. That said, it can also be a great learning experience. If you're honestly dedicated to playing that style of game then you're likely to learn your lessons quickly assuming you survive them. Getting your backside roasted by PBG wielding pirates on one occasion will generally make you think twice about taking them on the next time.

Ultimately though it's down to you as a player. If you can play the game without becoming disheartened or disillusioned with it when your 300+ hours of gameplay are ruined by a freak crash at the gate, then go for it. If on the other hand, you're the type that'll smash your keyboard under those circumstances, maybe it's better not to :p

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 16:36

Kirlack wrote:Ultimately though it's down to you as a player. If you can play the game without becoming disheartened or disillusioned with it when your 300+ hours of gameplay are ruined by a freak crash at the gate, then go for it. If on the other hand, you're the type that'll smash your keyboard under those circumstances, maybe it's better not to :p
I remember when my DiD where I had already finished two plots (and very fast too, got extremely lucky when Octopus with IRE managed to make Chimera pilot eject :o) ended because of Springy undocking thing :D :D

I didn't smash the keyboard or anything - I'm quite a calm person, but I did just stare at the screen for almost a minute and then started laughing :D :D it was the most retarded way to loose DiD

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 22:18

Triaxx2 wrote:DiD yes. DiD mode NO.
Best answer in the thread.

whistlinjoe
x4

Post by whistlinjoe » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 22:30

Jumee wrote:...ended because of Springy undocking thing :D :D
This would upset me.

>150+ DiD in-game hours carefully planning a hyperion space-walk boarding capture.

>Dock new hyperion at a boron equipment dock.

>Click the undock button and crash into the walls.

>Rage flip the computer desk.

>Quit.

Sarganto

Post by Sarganto » Wed, 28. Mar 12, 01:08

In the last 5 minutes I died 2 times and couldn't really do anything about it.

Undock with Orca from Boron Equipment Dock...somehow hit the walls, instant death.

Next try, undocking successful, use jump drive only to have a Split M1 or M2 coming through the gate I just jumped to. Instant death.

How, just tell me HOW could this be considered fun if I played DiD and one of these ultra random and "not my fault"-events ended my game?

No thanks. That's what everyone should say to DiD mode....or one day it will ruin your fun playing X3.
Cae caret ora cruore nostro?

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Wed, 28. Mar 12, 01:58

I wouldn't recommend DID to anyone.
It's kinda like recommending a stroll though a minefield...
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”