Albion Prelude Terran Commander questions

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Majick

Albion Prelude Terran Commander questions

Post by Majick » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 13:48

Hello All,

I'm new to X3 and started a game as Terran Commander. However, I'm beginning to stack up some questions which I am having trouble answering. I'm only looking to find out how to do these things in the standard game, and not with mods at this stage.

1/ How can I actually control a sector which is in conflict so that when my player ship leaves and returns I can expect my AI controlled ships to have defended it? Is it just a case of getting the most powerful capital ships possible and stationing them there? That seems a bit extreme given at this stage I'm only trying to stabilise Jupiter!

2/ One way I think it would be possible to control a sector is through orbital lasers. Although I have seen them in space I can't find any station in Terran controlled space which can supply them. On-line help on this subject seems to focus on the Argon experience only...

3/ How do I repair hull damage on my factories?

4/ Again, in the space available at the start of the Terran Commader game, where can I get Marines? There seem to be no stations which can supply them and no ability for me to build any myself, and again, on-line guides seem to be Argon orientated.

5/ Also Jump drives seem to be unavailable in Terran space. Is this right? Some on-line guides say they are available from 'Terracorp' - call me old fashioned or tell me to read the manual but I would have expected Terracorp to be somewhere I could get to as a Terran :) No sign of it this side of Heretics End though...

Sorry for so many questions but they have been stacking up. This is an excellent and absorbing game, but if it isn't possible to expand territory by pacifying/controlling sectors I don't really see where it is leading...

Regards

Jon

Ripskar
x3ap

Re: Albion Prelude Terran Commander questions

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 13:57

Majick wrote:Hello All,

I'm new to X3 and started a game as Terran Commander. However, I'm beginning to stack up some questions which I am having trouble answering. I'm only looking to find out how to do these things in the standard game, and not with mods at this stage.

1/ How can I actually control a sector which is in conflict so that when my player ship leaves and returns I can expect my AI controlled ships to have defended it? Is it just a case of getting the most powerful capital ships possible and stationing them there? That seems a bit extreme given at this stage I'm only trying to stabilise Jupiter!
Simple answer is you can't, the Warzone sectors always spawn Argon RRF ships when you're OOS. We have worked out a method of blockade running which is detailed in the first link in my sig.

2/ One way I think it would be possible to control a sector is through orbital lasers. Although I have seen them in space I can't find any station in Terran controlled space which can supply them. On-line help on this subject seems to focus on the Argon experience only...
Orbital Lasers are unavailable for the player, the best alternative is to build your own Laser Tower Factory, Split seem to be the cheapest.
3/ How do I repair hull damage on my factories?
Repair laser I assume, though you could be there a while.
4/ Again, in the space available at the start of the Terran Commader game, where can I get Marines? There seem to be no stations which can supply them and no ability for me to build any myself, and again, on-line guides seem to be Argon orientated.
Again I'll refer to the first link in my sig, where we figured this out.
5/ Also Jump drives seem to be unavailable in Terran space. Is this right? Some on-line guides say they are available from 'Terracorp' - call me old fashioned or tell me to read the manual but I would have expected Terracorp to be somewhere I could get to as a Terran :) No sign of it this side of Heretics End though...
First link in my sig.
Sorry for so many questions but they have been stacking up. This is an excellent and absorbing game, but if it isn't possible to expand territory by pacifying/controlling sectors I don't really see where it is leading...

Regards

Jon
The details of exactly how the war works are still being worked on, there are rumours, nothing more at this stage.
Good luck old bean.

Ripskar
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Majick

Post by Majick » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 14:10

Ripskar,

Thanks very much for the info! I'll have a good read.

Just to be clear on the control side of things then:

If I decide to head deep into enemy territory to buy jump drives for example, any ships or factories I have left in sectors which are in dispute are more or less certain to have been destroyed by the time I return?

And when I am embarked on this long dangerous journey into enemy territory I can't save at any point because there will be no freiendly stations? And seeing as the AI is guaranteed to destroy the ships in my fleet at every turn due to collisions etc this won;t be good news...

Taking these things into account, I think maybe I have failed to actually 'get the point' of the game. Am I playing it wrong if I am trying to take part in winning a war against the Argon?

Your answer to my question 3 suggests that you never suffer damage to your factories. Is this because you never build them in contested areas?

Thanks

Jon

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 14:28

Majick wrote:Ripskar,

Thanks very much for the info! I'll have a good read.

Just to be clear on the control side of things then:

If I decide to head deep into enemy territory to buy jump drives for example, any ships or factories I have left in sectors which are in dispute are more or less certain to have been destroyed by the time I return?
If they are still in the Warzone and not docked ;) at a station Argon ships will spawn and attack.
And when I am embarked on this long dangerous journey into enemy territory I can't save at any point because there will be no friendly stations?

You should have docking rights in Non-Argon border sectors, eg. Scale Plate Green, Menelaus' Oasis, etc. (unless you've shooting all Commonwealth shipping which would really make things hard...)
And seeing as the AI is guaranteed to destroy the ships in my fleet at every turn due to collisions etc this won;t be good news...

Taking these things into account, I think maybe I have failed to actually 'get the point' of the game. Am I playing it wrong if I am trying to take part in winning a war against the Argon?
Exactly how the war works isn't known, but it seems to be a marathon rather than a sprint. One of the rumours suggests that the number of sectors affected by the war will reduce over time and that this time can be affected by the player.
Your answer to my question 3 suggests that you never suffer damage to your factories. Is this because you never build them in contested areas?
I haven't built anything in a Warzone, on a Xenon migration route, next to Xenon sector and try to avoid building near Pirate Bases.
I also provide complexes with home based combat ships to deal 'problems'.
Thanks

Jon
Glad to be of service.
Any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
Ripskar
Last edited by Ripskar on Sat, 25. Feb 12, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Majick

Post by Majick » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 14:35

Thanks again Ripskar. I'll get ready for my first deep raid now then :)

Dave7000
x3tc

Post by Dave7000 » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 15:00

I got my first jump drive and some good marines from a Teladi who sold me an Osprey at PTNI shipyard . From there i trained the to 4 stars in each skill, then used them to board Argon Magnatars as there combat training . Thats how i get my jump Drives.

Majick

Post by Majick » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 15:39

Do you use wingmen and wings when in enemy territory, or just the best ship for the job?

I'm currently using a Yokohama with two Fenrirs as wingmen. They are good for picking up wares and chasing down fast ships but in other respects they are a bit of a liability due to AI collisions and timing gate jumps so that the don't get ganked.

I'd got the idea at first that I should build up a powerful fleet with capital ships in order to secure sectors. But if that isn't how it works the only benefit would be to take the fleet with me for combat. But what with the AI I doubt they would survive long :)

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 16:09

Majick wrote:Do you use wingmen and wings when in enemy territory, or just the best ship for the job?
No wingmen are a liability (as you're finding out) I haven't used that command since Reunion.
I'm currently using a Yokohama with two Fenrirs as wingmen. They are good for picking up wares and chasing down fast ships but in other respects they are a bit of a liability due to AI collisions and timing gate jumps so that the don't get ganked.

I'd got the idea at first that I should build up a powerful fleet with capital ships in order to secure sectors. But if that isn't how it works the only benefit would be to take the fleet with me for combat. But what with the AI I doubt they would survive long :)
When dealing with capital ship with fighters I prefer to use a carrier, that way I can dock fighters when they aren't required and let them do their own thing after launching.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Majick

Post by Majick » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 18:48

I guess I will have to confess to being a bit of a lightweight - I can't seem to get my Yokohama through Omicron Lyrae, without getting taken out by Argon missile barrages.

Is it a case of waiting for a moment when the sector is quiet? And if so is there any way to tell other than going backwards and forwards between there and Circle of Labor?

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 18:55

Majick wrote:I guess I will have to confess to being a bit of a lightweight - I can't seem to get my Yokohama through Omicron Lyrae, without getting taken out by Argon missile barrages.

Is it a case of waiting for a moment when the sector is quiet? And if so is there any way to tell other than going backwards and forwards between there and Circle of Labor?
the problem is that you are in a frigate get into scout ship (Valkyrie/Rapier) or Springblossom/Spitfire and you will get through with no problems

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 21:15

Indeed it's all about speed to get through there. Once you are through you can simply jump across with larger ships.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Dave7000
x3tc

Post by Dave7000 » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 01:30

I ran through the Argon blockades in a a Valkirie but you have to travel off the sector map as the flail barrarge or wasp missiles can taer you to peices. My pref for fighting in enemy terratory is the Springblossom because of its speed and cargo space ,but its thin shields means M7Ms can pick it off with Flail spam and boarding other corvettes can result in damage.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”