Jumpdrive ....what kind of animation would you prefer?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CharlieChop
x4

Jumpdrive ....what kind of animation would you prefer?

Post by CharlieChop » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 04:51

every time i am playing and i order my fleet there are 2 things i really hope will change in rebirth.

in the event jumping is still in game, i would like my ships to have a "better" jumping animation. examples of cool jumping would be mass effect 3...when the ships Arrive..... also i would like something like stargate animations when the ships enter hyperspace.

anyone else things the classic big flash is....not good enough?

the second thing would be the "you cant jump two ships at the same time" thing of the gates... i really REALLLY hated to have 5 destroyers ready to raid a sector only to see them arrive one every five minutes. beacons solved that in AP...kinda...but still....now more than ever, since we cant drive those capitals ourselves, need faster jumping.

note: all this is in the remove eventuality that there is jumping in rebirth

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 15:07

From what I remember, the devs explicitly said that the jumpdrive is gone.

operation_nova
x3ap

Post by operation_nova » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 17:57

Hopefully the dev team will put it into the game. It would help a lot.
Intel Core I7 4770K, Nvidia GtX 1080, Asus Maximus Hero VI

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 18:21

Sins of a Solar Empire handles the effect quite nicely in seeing ships in a phased out appearance moving fast until they arrive in normal space with an entrance/exit animation.

It would be nice to see whizzy jump effects but I can't say it ranks very high in the redesign effort imho...

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 18:28

Spero wrote:From what I remember, the devs explicitly said that the jumpdrive is gone.
Wrong :P Bernd himself said there will be Jumpdrives for capitals ;)
Bernd wrote:Capital ships as well as space stations are now a lot more detailed. These details, however, are not limited to improved and animated visuals. They are there for gameplay reasons. A single capital ship can have hundreds of objects on its surface. Things like turrets and shield generators which can of course be scanned, manipulated or simply destroyed individually, but also bigger objects like jumpdrive generators, engines and much more.
Shadow
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 19:43

Shadow dream wrote:
Spero wrote:From what I remember, the devs explicitly said that the jumpdrive is gone.
Wrong :P Bernd himself said there will be Jumpdrives for capitals ;)
Bernd wrote:Capital ships as well as space stations are now a lot more detailed. These details, however, are not limited to improved and animated visuals. They are there for gameplay reasons. A single capital ship can have hundreds of objects on its surface. Things like turrets and shield generators which can of course be scanned, manipulated or simply destroyed individually, but also bigger objects like jumpdrive generators, engines and much more.
Shadow
cool, that quote erases my doubt about them. so now that we know there there ARE jumpdrives..... how would you like the animation to be?.... i know most of this has probably been made for the game but letting your imagination and sharing your ideas is cool.

i still prefer a sort of mix between ME3 arrival and SG entry into hyperspace.

just imagine a fleet like in ME3 final mission to save earth. it would be with dozens of capital ships arriving into your home system attempting to raid the sector..... im drooling....

ShoC
x4

Post by ShoC » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 21:15

The jump drive from homeworld would be my preferred animation....

A large square appears and moves across the entire ship then vanishes.. epic
they have had almost 1000 years to terraform Aldrin, why are they all still sitting around a giant rock?

Catra wrote:
because you cant terraform a rock.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 21:19

Jump drives on big capital ships? Yes.

Jump drives on nearly everything that flies? No.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

robalexhall
x3tc

Post by robalexhall » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 22:34

I want my monitor to irradiate me with the blue sheet of infinite energy density when I jump.

shadowrunner85
x3tc

Post by shadowrunner85 » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 23:51

I don't know what I want the animation to look like. But I would like to have an animation showing that the ship is spooling up it's drive, could give us some time to primary target an specific enemy ships jumpdrive, that we don't what to escape.

shilhi
x3tc

Post by shilhi » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 00:56

shadowrunner85 wrote:I don't know what I want the animation to look like. But I would like to have an animation showing that the ship is spooling up it's drive, could give us some time to primary target an specific enemy ships jumpdrive, that we don't what to escape.
You mean something like tendrils of energy shooting off in all directions around the ship or engines?

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 03:33

Having a jumpdrive isn't very realistic or modest so I'd prefer if the animation isn't either, would be pretty cool if the generators build up a "shell" around the ship, one that distorts light more and more until it becomes an impenetrable barrier (for a split second during the jump) and anything inside it is jumped along with the ship and immediately the remainder of the shell collapses into nothingness with a massive release of energy at its core in a spectacular flash (that won't hurt anyone because nothing will be fast enough to get close anyway) while at the receiving end an impenetrable bubble slowly grows out of a flash of light and when it reaches full size it dissipates in a big electrical burst, like a very weak electric explosion. Not sure anyone can see the picture I'm trying to paint, would create an animation to show it if I had time but I don't, at least not right now :/

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 06:24

Zetoss wrote:Having a jumpdrive isn't very realistic or modest so I'd prefer if the animation isn't either, would be pretty cool if the generators build up a "shell" around the ship, one that distorts light more and more until it becomes an impenetrable barrier (for a split second during the jump) and anything inside it is jumped along with the ship and immediately the remainder of the shell collapses into nothingness with a massive release of energy at its core in a spectacular flash (that won't hurt anyone because nothing will be fast enough to get close anyway) while at the receiving end an impenetrable bubble slowly grows out of a flash of light and when it reaches full size it dissipates in a big electrical burst, like a very weak electric explosion. Not sure anyone can see the picture I'm trying to paint, would create an animation to show it if I had time but I don't, at least not right now :/
every time a terminator travels back in time that happens.

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 07:56

CharlieChop wrote:every time a terminator travels back in time that happens.
HAH! :D Yeah, well that but not looking like the crap in the movies but actually looking good! It's pretty hard to explain in any satisfying manner...

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 11:25

I really like the idea that only the biggest ships can jump.
Where is it?

shadowrunner85
x3tc

Post by shadowrunner85 » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 15:00

shilhi wrote:
shadowrunner85 wrote:I don't know what I want the animation to look like. But I would like to have an animation showing that the ship is spooling up it's drive, could give us some time to primary target an specific enemy ships jumpdrive, that we don't what to escape.
You mean something like tendrils of energy shooting off in all directions around the ship or engines?

Funny, no I was thinking more in the line of nexus TJI, always liked the animation that seams to close space in front of the ship and expanding it behind the ship, but that would be a warp drive not a jump drive. But it would be cool and practical to se an energy buildup in the engines, or a separate jump drive.

dblade
x3tc

Post by dblade » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 01:55

Just watched the Frak out of Battlestar Galactica (2004) on netflix. I liked the jump effect they had. Plus the marine boarding bits too. Can't believe it's taken me this long to tap into my inner sci-fi nerd :)

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Fri, 16. Mar 12, 21:46

I like the one of Babylon 5.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”