How to make money using nividium and the stock exchange

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

|-|Mohawk|-|
x4

Post by |-|Mohawk|-| » Wed, 1. Feb 12, 23:15

I must admit that I thought supply was just supply in factory stocks not including ships as well. There must be some reason why they included goods in ships?
This was part of the "fix" in 1.1. People were transferring wares from their stations to ships so they could reduce the supply and make money on the stock market. Now the wares still count as supply even if they're in a ship. But you can still leave the region and then sell the stock. And this isn't complicated at all. Like my initial example shows, you can fly back and forth between Nyana's Hideout and Scale Plate Green, buying and selling stock and making a killing. That's why I suggested limiting the max amount of shares available.
Autopilot epically failed.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Wed, 1. Feb 12, 23:39

Ripskar wrote:In a real exchange index = 100 means everyone holding them is trying to get rid of the shares before they are worthless.
Surely the index you are talking about here is a different one to that in the X3 stock market.

In X3 you buy shares at 100 then you can never loose more than the broker charge. Buy for less than you loose money if the index rises. If the index is more than 100, then you can always wait for the index to decrease and not risk it never going down. I see no reason why inverters in the X3 world can not work this out.

I think X3 shares are a different thing to real world shares. In X3 they are more like factory owners raising funds using there commodity stocks as collateral.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 1. Feb 12, 23:47

The stock exchange in X3 falls far, far short of an accurate depiction of a real stock exchange.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Wed, 1. Feb 12, 23:48

No, RL Gold price is currently high due to everyone wanting to buy a commodity that is seen as safe. This would have a low index value if you used the default X3 system.
A few years ago (before the Credit Crunch) the price was low (X3 index high) because nobody wanted to buy the shares. Supply has remained essentially static.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 01:02

Ripskar wrote:No, RL Gold price is...
Yes whatever...

I do not see what this has to do with the fact that in X3 the best time to buy shares is when the index is at 100. Hence this is when the X3 investors will buy them. Hence there will be less shares for sale at index 100 in X3 for the player to buy than at other times.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 01:32

:headbang:
No that's what we've been telling you.

The index is 100 because the investors DON'T want to buy the shares.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 01:50

Ripskar wrote::headbang:
No that's what we've been telling you.

The index is 100 because the investors DON'T want to buy the shares.
The index is at 100 because supply equals demand. For whatever reason.

It seems to be agreed that the best time to buy shares in general is at index 100, and make a profit whenever the shares move. Its so easy that I can't see why the other X3 investors will not be able to see it and do the same thing. Hence there will be less shares available.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 02:00

The RL equivalent is Penny Shares.
These are low priced because no-one wants to buy them. They are considered High Risk Investments.

The fact that X3 has a minimum price is artificial.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 02:56

Ripskar wrote:The RL equivalent is Penny Shares...
You seem to be thinking of the X3 stock exchange as mapping onto some real life entity, and consider X3 investors should behave as the real life investors would irrespective of the sense that makes in the X3 implementation.

While I am thinking the X3 implementation for the stock exchange is what is important, RL does not exist! X3 investors should act in the way that makes most sense in the X3 world. Even if it makes no sense in your favourite RL analogy.

I don't think these differing view points can be reconciled. Unless by chance they do.

|-|Mohawk|-|
x4

Post by |-|Mohawk|-| » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 08:46

I still haven't tested this with a full Mammoth, but I had about about 6,266 units of nividium, which was enough to give me a huge net profit.

I also did a little math. If your Mammoth was completely full of nividium, you'd have 15,000 units in your hold. That would yield a whopping net profit of 241,920,000 credits each time you bought and sold stock. :!:

The other upside (or downside, depending on your point of view) to this loophole is that trading massive amounts of credits at the stock exchange raises your trade rank exponentially fast. In just a few minutes of trading, I went from about 80% Mogul to around 30% Tycoon.

Basically, this is a giant gaping loophole that's on par with the old cloning wares trick.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 10:35

I'm going to try this as soon as I can, I've got a mistral collecting Nvidium rocks in Perpetual Sin while I do other things (have 500 in the hold with another 1500 in one of my TLs), as soon as it's done I'm going to make use of it :lol:

|-|Mohawk|-|
x4

Post by |-|Mohawk|-| » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 18:52

Yeah, I'm hoping to get a Mammoth full of nividium just to be able to sell all that stock at once. All those credits--it's intoxicating. 8)

If you really want to be efficient with it, once you've bought your stock and headed through the gate, as soon as you come out on the other side, hit backspace to stop your ship. Then sell your stock, by some new stock, and just fly backwards through the gate. As far as I know, Nyana's Hideout and Scale Plate Green are the only places where you can do this, though.

Should it bother me that I've become so brutally efficient at exploiting the game to inflate both my bank account and my trade rank? :lol:

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 19:04

|-|Mohawk|-| wrote:
Should it bother me that I've become so brutally efficient at exploiting the game to inflate both my bank account and my trade rank? :lol:
it should bother you that you got so much money so fast you dnt know what to do with it :P

em3e3
x3tc

Re: How to make money using nividium and the stock exchange

Post by em3e3 » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 19:05

|-|Mohawk|-| wrote:I'm not sure if I'm the first person to discover this or not, and I'm actually hesitant to put this on the forums, as I'm afraid Egosoft will fix this and thus prevent me from making shiploads of money.
Nope, you've been beat by at least 2 weeks. I just did a better job of hiding my post. :)
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 19:11

I'm not sure if I'm the first person to discover this or not, and I'm actually hesitant to put this on the forums, as I'm afraid Egosoft will fix this and thus prevent me from making shiploads of money.
egosoft couldnt do a thing about it. its a 3rd party script and only the author can change it.
Nope, you've been beat by at least 2 weeks. I just did a better job of hiding my post.
and youve been beat by months, if not a year by the stock exchange beta testers. =P
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

|-|Mohawk|-|
x4

Post by |-|Mohawk|-| » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 19:39

Jumee wrote:it should bother you that you got so much money so fast you dnt know what to do with it :P
Oh believe me, I have plans for it. Muahahahahaha. :twisted:
em3e3 wrote:Nope, you've been beat by at least 2 weeks. I just did a better job of hiding my post.
Oh well, lol. After I discovered this I searched the forums (and Google) to see what I could find, but nothing turned up. So you were successful at keeping it hidden. :wink:
Catra wrote:egosoft couldnt do a thing about it. its a 3rd party script and only the author can change it.
See, when I heard that AP was going to have a stock exchange I wondered if it was based on the SE scripts for TC. But I never used those, so the whole SE concept was new to me. I would assume that Egosoft can do something about it now, since they've already adjusted the SE in 1.1. They just didn't get all the wrinkles worked out yet, I guess. Still, I think it's a fantastic idea; even without the exploits, it gives casual gamers a chance to actually make some money and enjoy the game.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 20:19

Tharrg wrote:You seem to be thinking of the X3 stock exchange as mapping onto some real life entity, and consider X3 investors should behave as the real life investors would irrespective of the sense that makes in the X3 implementation.

While I am thinking the X3 implementation for the stock exchange is what is important, RL does not exist! X3 investors should act in the way that makes most sense in the X3 world. Even if it makes no sense in your favourite RL analogy.

I don't think these differing view points can be reconciled. Unless by chance they do.
You assume that the minimum price would be a real factor for the hypothetical other traders in X3. That it isn't a player only aspect like strafe drive, missions, credits, docking computers, race rep, weapon energy, etc.
Wheras for an actual trader minimum price = 0 and when price hits zero all shares are automatically deleted.
Thus your notion makes no sense.
After all, Index 100+ means the company has failed to sell it's products.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

RefocusedLight
x4

Post by RefocusedLight » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:14

lol there is a way to deal with this exploit. Cap the number of shares at say demand x3. need more shares - build more stations with demand. And if one can afford tens of stations for an exploit - they could as well afford an honest weed/fuel plex
Can't create imaginary friends, only enemies
/Dresden Codak/

|-|Mohawk|-|
x4

Post by |-|Mohawk|-| » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 22:05

RefocusedLight wrote:lol there is a way to deal with this exploit. Cap the number of shares at say demand x3. need more shares - build more stations with demand. And if one can afford tens of stations for an exploit - they could as well afford an honest weed/fuel plex
Yeah, I said the same thing, except my idea was to limit the max number of shares to demand*2.

I like the idea of being able to build more stations to increase supply. Supply should be based on what's actually in the stations. I don't think you should be able to fly into a sector with a cargo hold full of goods and use it to play the markets. That's too unrealistic. I mean, I realize this is a game, but it is a sim, so I think improvements could be made to the SE to make it more realistic (i.e., still profitable, but reasonably profitable instead of insanely profitable).

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 02:31

Catra wrote:and youve been beat by months, if not a year by the stock exchange beta testers. =P
Yeah, but the S&M forum is even less visible. :)

There's an easy fix for this gaping exploit - the share price calculations shouldn't include anything in player owned property.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”