EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

[AP] Shed some light on Beam Weapons, please.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Chull

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 15:41    Post subject: [AP] Shed some light on Beam Weapons, please. Reply with quote Print

There are more patches to come for AP.

So, my simple and straight forward question to any mods, devs or anyone at all:

Will beam weapons (tri-beam, plasma beam, laser array etc etc) ever be available in vannila x3:AP?

Is there a reason they are mentioned in the game (for years now), but are not available?

Shootist

modified
PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 16:16    Post subject: Re: [AP] Shed some light on Beam Weapons, please. Reply with quote Print

Chull wrote:
There are more patches to come for AP.

So, my simple and straight forward question to any mods, devs or anyone at all:

Will beam weapons (tri-beam, plasma beam, laser array etc etc) ever be available in vannila x3:AP?

Is there a reason they are mentioned in the game (for years now), but are not available?

I don't know why ego hasn't used them, but I have a theory.

Years ago, After finding the first pair in the Kha'ak unfocused JD sector, I cycrow'd another pair of phased array laser cannons onto my panther. The graphics are very cpu intensive and, in a moderately busy game, do not display the way they should.

Last edited by Shootist on Thu, 19. Jan 12, 16:18; edited 1 time in total
swatti

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

More variaty is definetly needed, mostly weapons are just generic laser-cannons with different numbers and projectile-color.

Theres also a room for a "shotgun-like" low-power-but-easy-to-hit-anything-weapon too that has more range then PBG

Slow to reload rocket-pods shooting salvos of smaller-then-missile and slightly homing rockets would be cool. A secondery-weapon for M7M's and bombers when out of ammo

Weapons should also have different effects too. PBG leaves a burning effect, flaks have lower-power, but larger AOE effect etc.

The laser-tower weapon even has spoken speech saying its been re-fitted to work in cap-ships. So, why not give to players?

GIEF PEW PEW LEIZOORZ!

Chull

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I wouldn't mind them not being there if it wasn't for the fact they are staring you in the face on Kkhak, lasertowers and all the weapon slot descriptions.

They work just fine in some of the mods I've used but why not in vanilla?

I get a feeling this will go the way of other requests for reasoning behind the decision and go unanswered.

Sirin111

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

swatti wrote:
GIEF PEW PEW LEIZOORZ!

Agree.

NeverSnake

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

They were never introduced in TC because they didn't work properly, they had a nasty exploit that meant if you held down the trigger you'd continue to do damage but you'd stop using up energy. Most mods that let you buy them suffer from this problem as well.

Whether Egosoft will get round to fixing this so they can be introduced in AP I don't know, they obviously have more pressing things to make work properly at the moment.

burger1

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 18:05    Post subject: Re: [AP] Shed some light on Beam Weapons, please. Reply with quote Print

[quote="Shootist"]
Chull wrote:

I don't know why ego hasn't used them, but I have a theory.

Years ago, After finding the first pair in the Kha'ak unfocused JD sector, I cycrow'd another pair of phased array laser cannons onto my panther. The graphics are very cpu intensive and, in a moderately busy game, do not display the way they should.

If you play xtended mod the khaak m6 (and probably others) ships use all lasers and give me lag till I kill a couple. If I recall correctly in x3tc they only fire one laser but in xtended I think they fire six.

Chull

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

NeverSnake wrote:
They were never introduced in TC because they didn't work properly, they had a nasty exploit that meant if you held down the trigger you'd continue to do damage but you'd stop using up energy.

Never knew or noticed that bug on the mods that did have them included, and I've tried the Xtended mod 1.0, waiting until the 2.0 version before I use it again.

Again, why leave them in the game for LTs/Khakk/weapon slots, I'd rather they remove them entirely so they're not taunting me while I think about weapon loadouts Very Happy

Better yet, have them or the factories as some sort of mission reward? (extremely difficult) fixed or bugged I don't care.

Shootist

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

What I remember is that the PALC is a three barrel gun that fires in a rotary manner, like a gatling gun. When working properly, a single beam fires each time a gun barrel reaches the firing point. In actual game play the gun appears to fire all three beams continuously.

A5PECT

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

NeverSnake wrote:
They were never introduced in TC because they didn't work properly, they had a nasty exploit that meant if you held down the trigger you'd continue to do damage but you'd stop using up energy. Most mods that let you buy them suffer from this problem as well.

I thought that beam weapons generate a certain amount of energy consumption when the trigger is pulled, then drop down to a lower, constant rate while the fire button is held down.

At least that was my experience in XRM.

swatti

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The Khaak beams look a bit odd sometimes, they dont last very long but allready seem to "detach" from the source/turret like they were a static object.

Another working beam however we allready have and if you ask me, it looks good and works, yep, the repair-beam. Laser-tower seems more of a "flash" then actual "beam"

Balancing beams would be quite hard, considoring they have about 100% hit-rate.

To be honest X-series ships need different weapon-groups. As in heavy anti-capital lasers like now that cant really aim or hit small fighters and smaller anti-fighter weapons seperately. Spinal-mounts or "main guns" could also work wonders.
Right now the combat is quite static "bigger beats smaller and nuf said"

killerog
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

As far as I know you can still hold down the trigger and keep firing no matter your energy. They are in the game as the AI treats them the same as any other laser (fires it and doesn't hold down the trigger as such so no exploit).

Its something that people who want to use them in mods or add new ones wanted fixed since X:R came out. (search that modding forum and you will see me/Northstar adding in mulit-coloured ones well before anyone else and they were in the old XFP mod, but I don't use them now due to that exploit/bug).

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Repair-laser "works as inteded" from my point of view. "Reverse it" and fiddle with the numbers, bug/exploit gone...?

kurush

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Thu, 19. Jan 12, 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

NeverSnake wrote:

This exploit doesn't seem to be usable, at least with current placement on the side turrets. Are you going to man the side turret to save on energy? Not really exploitable, at least I wasn't able to find a usable way to exploit it. On most ships that can fit it laser regen is high enough not to run out of energy when running all PALC these ships can mount anyway.
PALC alleviates the problem with missile spam, if its turret configured properly to prioritize missiles. It also changes the way you do combat in the ships that can mount it.

Overtuning assistance in Albion Prelude
Want to run any script or mod without ***modified***? Click here
CharlieChop

PostPosted: Fri, 20. Jan 12, 00:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

kurush wrote:
NeverSnake wrote:

This exploit doesn't seem to be usable, at least with current placement on the side turrets. Are you going to man the side turret to save on energy? Not really exploitable, at least I wasn't able to find a usable way to exploit it. On most ships that can fit it laser regen is high enough not to run out of energy when running all PALC these ships can mount anyway.
PALC alleviates the problem with missile spam, if its turret configured properly to prioritize missiles. It also changes the way you do combat in the ships that can mount it.

Um i just captured a corvette with 11 bkyion and the energy does drop pretty fast... Apparently doesnt apply to these.