AP Argon M6's

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Eleutherios
x4

AP Argon M6's

Post by Eleutherios » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 19:45

I was looking at Roguey's ship list site, and noticed the Skiron.

Argon Peace Keeper start, And i have a centaur... and a few creds I am looking to upgrade, and was thinking about the HCentaur, but now that i found the skiron, I am thinking about heading that way due to the slightly higher speed two extra front cannons and the added side cannon on each side/rear (like the Centaur) To me this seems like a better upgrade, higher shields (lower hull i spose) better speed better Alpha with 8 in front,.. Does any one actively pilot them for the corvette class or is there something I am missing? (is it ugly..?)

A5PECT
x4

Re: AP Argon M6's

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 19:54

Does any one actively pilot them for the corvette class or is there something I am missing?
It has a rather low turn rate, so it may be uncomfortable to fly personally (especially against fighters). The Heavy Centaur is a bit more maneuverable.
(is it ugly..?)
Eh, I could take it or leave it. But if the Heavy Centaur were a woman I'd marry it and call her Suzy.

If you come by one you might try nabbing a Heavy Centaur Prototype. It has the speed of the Skiron with the turn rate of the original Heavy Centaur.
Last edited by A5PECT on Wed, 18. Jan 12, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 19:55

i cant\couldn't stand flying the skiron.

it has a steer of 2.9, which is statistically better than most of the other heavies.

but in actuality, it is sluggish to turn, making it terrible vs fighters.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Eleutherios
x4

Re: AP Argon M6's

Post by Eleutherios » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 20:43

KloHunt3r wrote:
Does any one actively pilot them for the corvette class or is there something I am missing?
It has a rather low turn rate, so it may be uncomfortable to fly personally (especially against fighters). The Heavy Centaur is a bit more maneuverable.
(is it ugly..?)
Eh, I could take it or leave it. But if the Heavy Centaur were a woman I'd marry it and call her Suzy.

If you come by one you might try nabbing a Heavy Centaur Prototype. It has the speed of the Skiron with the turn rate of the original Heavy Centaur.
Yeah, i have thought about a boarding op, but i feel bad against my own folk! and from an RP stand point it would ruin the feel of the character of the peace keeper. At any rate.

so the Skiron is more of a Nancy or Harriet then the beauty of the H Centaur... Hmm that might be a factor... I dont ever recall seeing a Skiron up close in game, i know i have cycled through one or two when target swapping, and hearing ARGON SKIRON. I might hunt one down and take a look...

I could deal with fighters with drones/missles. i am not too concerned about that, so long as i can turn enough to catch an M3 or up

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 20:44

What Catra said. The Skiron turns like an oil tanker. The Heavy Centaur is popular but not a ship I can say I've flown much.

The Heavy Dragon is a beastly strike craft, very powerful and very fast but undershielded for its class. Not that this matters when you've already unloaded your laser banks and scooted out of range to recharge before your enemy gets a lock on you. Worth a look, but slightly cramped cargospace.

The Heavy Nemesis is extremely pretty. :lol: Statistically it's a more powerful H. Centaur but has a lower profile, making it harder to hit. Tiny cargobay though, so not one I'd reccommend to anyone else unless you like stopping for jumpfuel every five minutes.

The Heavy Hydra is also very pretty. It's quick but suffers horrible agility like the Skiron, and doesn't have all-round turret coverage to compensate. It is, however, a surprisingly capable ship. I prefer flying it to flying the Skiron.

Heavy Osprey is a beast. Slow, but reasonably manouverable, with a large cargobay and good turret coverage. IIRC it has more guns overalll than all the other M6+es except the Skiron with great weapon compatibility. One to consider, but the speed can be a dealbreaker.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 21:16

As I have posted before, I am actually quite fond of the Skiron, but I recognize that it might not be to everyone's taste.

In order to effectively fly a Skiron, you can't treat it like a bigger, more powerful sort of M3, which, I think, is a turn-off for some folks. It is a heavy corvette that excels at killing other corvettes, bombers, and heavy fighters. Its sluggish turning rate is partially offset by it's relatively powerful maneuvering thrusters and narrow forward profile. It's not a ship you dog fight in. Rather, you use its speed, heavy shielding, and ability to easily evade incoming heavy weapons fire to perform strafing runs on heavier targets while using your turrets and missiles to take down smaller fighters. M3s and M3+s aren't too bad, either, as you can usually maneuver well enough to keep a bead on them and have enough firepower to put them down quickly. Once you get the hang of flying it, however, you can take on M7s without firing a single missile, or multiple M7s if you're especially skilled.

While this meshes well with my own piloting style, it's not going to be ideal for everyone. Just keep that in mind if you're looking at buying one.
General Electric #119T53 Toaster with Stapled-On celeron chipset. 256 megs of toast. Graphics powered by a bit of cardboard with "graffiks" written on the side by a small child.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 21:25

I like the Skiron too.

Although for those who like combat,it might not be so desirable.

But for general use and towing mineral mines etc., it is good for me.

I always feel comfortable in my Skiron. :)

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 21:28

What mistervec said.

The Skiron's turn rate is too low to chase down fighters, but high enough to screw up turret tracking. So don't bother with any fancy maneuvering; try to keep your flight path as linear as possible and let the turrets take out the fast movers. Just make sure you use your strafe drive to avoid any big hits.

With turret switching activated and a loadout of HEPTs and PRGs/PACs turrets shouldn't have trouble against a few fighters. The Skiron's extra shielding will absorb the damage you take while your turrets line up shots.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 21:40

If you're looking to upgrade then my advice would be to save a little more and buy an M7 rather than blowing it on a second corvette, which is a marginal upgrade at best.

The Skiron isn't a bad looking ship as Argon ships go, it shares a lot of it's design features with the larger argon ships but is a bit more rounded.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Eleutherios
x4

Post by Eleutherios » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 22:03

mistervec wrote: In order to effectively fly a Skiron, you can't treat it like a bigger, more powerful sort of M3, which, I think, is a turn-off for some folks. It is a heavy corvette that excels at killing other corvettes, bombers, and heavy fighters. Its sluggish turning rate is partially offset by it's relatively powerful maneuvering thrusters and narrow forward profile. It's not a ship you dog fight in. Rather, you use its speed, heavy shielding, and ability to easily evade incoming heavy weapons fire to perform strafing runs on heavier targets while using your turrets and missiles to take down smaller fighters....

While this meshes well with my own piloting style, it's not going to be ideal for everyone. Just keep that in mind if you're looking at buying one.
This is perfect, Thank you for this, Your play style is similar to mine, and this is exactly the kind of tactile response i was looking for (no offence to any one else they have all been great comments)

This is what i was hoping the ship was, i figured the higher acceleration would help to generate better thrusters, and planned on the dual side and rear turrets to take care of the fodder. this is great news!

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 22:22

You're welcome, mate! I'm glad I could help.
General Electric #119T53 Toaster with Stapled-On celeron chipset. 256 megs of toast. Graphics powered by a bit of cardboard with "graffiks" written on the side by a small child.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 22:28

ah, the maneuvre thrusters are set for all ships (60 m/s, or thereabouts), its just more noticeable.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Eleutherios
x4

Post by Eleutherios » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 17:30

Catra wrote:ah, the maneuvre thrusters are set for all ships (60 m/s, or thereabouts), its just more noticeable.
Really? How does that work..? I would imagine that some kind of physics affects take place then, how is it some ships can strafe with thrusters like a champ and others just chug along...?

On this topic got my skiron last night, was able to upgrade 6 fronts to CIG's and all the rest of the surrounding turrets with HEPTs (including two up front) And am thinking about the last two CIGs up front since the energy reserves seem beefy enough to work out.

So far i love it! It (seems) to strafe better/faster, and combat wise with missles for those quick little punks it is pretty awesome... IMO Thanks again for all the input!

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 17:57

Its just more noticeable the slower you are going.

And on ships that go slower than 120, its more advantageous to go sideways than it is to go forward, as you go faster using 2 strafe thrusters than your main engines.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 18:45

Also note that the thrust from both axes of the strafe drive and the forward engine are all additive.

[ external image ]

Eleutherios
x4

Post by Eleutherios » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 18:52

Now were veering./. but that's cool. is there a wiki or something similar with some information on the 'physics' of the game?
Namely... what inertia factors are and thrust speeds and stuffs like this? I have played X forever, but i guess i have never really picked it apart like this.

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 18:54

Surely the mass of the ship has some impact on the amount of time it takes to achieve that 60 m/s speed?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 18:58

mistervec wrote:Surely the mass of the ship has some impact on the amount of time it takes to achieve that 60 m/s speed?
[ external image ]

All properties of the strafe drive are constant across all ship types and classes. That means that a space suit strafes in the same exact way as an Aran.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 19:22

Eleutherios wrote:ed X forever, but i guess i have never really picked it apart like this.
My advice, take some small ship, not too fast. Then get really close to massive Terran station, then play with it a little, accel/decellerate, strife, break, steer ... you'll learn much about physics of game and how exactly objects behave. It's not always obvious in black space, spaceships do not fly like airplanes at all, even in X3.

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 19:25

Huh. That is fancy!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”