[TC] Want opinions on my Carrier Fighter wings.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aeshi
x3tc

[TC] Want opinions on my Carrier Fighter wings.

Post by Aeshi » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 23:57

So now I'm decking out my Panther with fighter squads and when I'm finished I intend to have 5 wings of 5 ships, with the remaining slots holding my Scouts and other personal ships. I've decided the first 2 wings are going to be made up of Tenjins but wanted some opinions on what the other 3 wings should be and/or how to outfit them.

For the 3rd wing I was considering either another wing of Tenjins OR a Chimera Wing for close-up dogfighting (something the Tenjins are not very good at thanks to their awful turn rate, why does a PIRATE ship have such poor maneuverability anyways? I might expect this sort of thing of the Paranid but not the Yaki.)

My candidates for my 4th and 5th wings are Argon Eclipses decked out with HEPTs, as this will give me some fighters I can send against larger foes without having to worry about them being instagibbed. The only question I'm really considering with these wings is whether to have [6 HEPTs & 2 PRGs] or [8 HEPTs] in the main slots (turrets will have PRGs.)

Also are there any specific requirements for a station hack to show up? been wandering around CEOs Doubt and the neighboring sectors trying to find one for the nearby IBL Forge.

(yeah the game just THROWS money at you when you have an M7 and Warlord rank.)

manole

Post by manole » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 00:08

Eclipses, Solanos, Nova and Falcon Haulers are very good carrier ships. Solano is probably the best because it's cheap to replace but personally I'm also fond of the Eclipse.

I use CODEA for my carriers and it switches weapons based on the target, but generally AI fighters love PAC. Put PAC in all slots and you can't go wrong. HEPT for OOS.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 00:17

The Tenjin is still an awesome dogfighter because it has exceptional turret coverage. Even as it's trying to turn, the side turrets are engaging. Plus they can fire forward as well.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 00:17

Also are there any specific requirements for a station hack to show up? been wandering around CEOs Doubt and the neighboring sectors trying to find one for the nearby IBL Forge.
a enemy station 3 sectors away

[ external image ] =P
My candidates for my 4th and 5th wings are Argon Eclipses decked out with HEPTs, as this will give me some fighters I can send against larger foes
you would want to use EBC so they can have a longer attack run.
For the 3rd wing I was considering either another wing of Tenjins OR a Chimera Wing
id say get a Solano or asp with MDs. or the mamba vanguard / regular mamba with MDs.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Carrier M3

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 01:06

Aeshi, I have tested a number of M3s with heavy duty combat in the Xenon sectors, and Scimitars have come out way ahead. Heavy shields (5 x 25), good speed (199), okay weapons (6 x EMPC). Other weapons have more glamor perhaps, but like the PAC it just keeps shooting when the others have run out of E. Most of the time the Scims came through with zero losses. Cheap compared to many others. I only used 8 per squadron and they did fine.

I'm interested in the Tenjin, with its very good Laser Reload rate. But it only has 3 x 25 shields, and only average speed.

Good Luck !!
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

manole

Post by manole » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 01:35

Since we're on the topic, for M3 AI fighters, what's better, HEPT or EBC? IS, EBC would seem to have an advantage, but I'm not sure about OOS.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 02:24

manole wrote:Since we're on the topic, for M3 AI fighters, what's better, HEPT or EBC? IS, EBC would seem to have an advantage, but I'm not sure about OOS.
HEPT for OOS combat, IMO. Energy, rate of fire, range, etc.. doesn't matter in OoS combat. You want big numbers for each volley, as OoS combat is conducted in rounds.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 02:26

On fighters and carriers, how do a few Falcon Haulers filled with Mosquitos on Mosquito Defense (c) and ordered to "Follow" or "Protect" a carrier, or other ship, work out for helping with missile defense? (Aside from ending up being flak-bait, that is.)

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 14:09

manole wrote:Since we're on the topic, for M3 AI fighters, what's better, HEPT or EBC? IS, EBC would seem to have an advantage, but I'm not sure about OOS.
HEPT.

you always want to equip the ship with the highest Damage Per Shot
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:40

Yes and no. HEPT is absolutely superior OOS, due to an issue with ammo consumption and ammo based weapons failing to work.

IS, EBC is just as effective, and matches HEPT's damage closely enough it's not so clear cut.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”