Have the Steam versions of X: BTF and X: Tension been optimised for modern OS's?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tanner1ie
x3tc

Have the Steam versions of X: BTF and X: Tension been optimised for modern OS's?

Post by tanner1ie » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 21:24

As the title says, have the Steam versions of X: BTF and X: Tension been optimised for modern operating systems, specifically Windows XP?
Are they guaranteed to run poperly?

I;m asking that because i bought X Gold, the disc compilation of the two, (put out by THQ) a couple of years ago and it was basically unplayable, due to crashes.

I know the games were probably written for Windows 98, as they came out in 1999 and 2000 and we've had Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Seven, in the mean time, but the box listed it as XP compatible.

The first X game i played was Reunion, which i played to death and in the time between i saw all you can see and did all you can do in it and before we got our current fix of TC and probably enough to overdose on, with AP, having just come out, i was itching for more X! :) .

I've never used Mods before, but i very nearly downloaded the Xtended mod for Reunion, before deciding against it.
Then i saw X2 for sale (in my local supermarket, of all places :) ), bought it and this being about late 2007 early 2008, and X2 having come out in 2003, the graphics were more basic and well a bit cartoony it's was still very playable and still very good fun (and still is :) ) - i played threw the plot, then went back to Reunion, with some fresh insight into the series and some new ideas, to try in it.

Then i found, X Gold, thought, hmm older still but lets give it a go :) .
I installed it, downloaded the patches, which are few and were (obviously :) ) not very recent and went to play them.

Playing X: BTF, i was able to watch the opening video, game play through opening sequence to the point were you get transported to Seizewell, start the conversation, with the Teladi carrier captain, but then the game crashed at a particular point in the conversation, EVERY time.

No dice, so i tryed X: Tension, found i could play it for about five minutes, when random things kept making it crash.
Comm another ship - crash!
Dock at station - crash!
Fire a weapon - crash!
(You get the idea :) .)

I then posted about the problem in the tech support, here.
They mentioned an older Window compatibility mode, i turned that on, but it changed nothing so i decided to uninstall the games.

Came back to X2 and X3, to find no voices were playing in the former and they were only coming through about thirty seconds into Betty's lectures on items, probably because the X Gold uninstall had deleted some file the games share in common.
I tried updating various sound and graphics drivers, Windows Media Player etc and reinstalling both games.
After about two months of no voices in one game, practically no voices in the other the problem seemed to fix itself.

The reason i bring all this up, now is both games are available very cheap, in the current Steam sale - 2:50 each.

So before i risk the same thing happening again, i ask the question:-
Will they work now? :D .
Ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlight?

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 21:45

Funny - I recently played through X-BTF from the X-Gold CDRom on my Win7 64 Bit machine, and it were totally stable. No need to run in compatibility mode or any other tricks.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 21:58

X-BTF and X-Tension from Superbox do play fine on Win7 64bit too, without setting compatibility. Widescreen clips screen though, but one can use a non-wide resolution. Furthermore, my recent Nvidia fails on some X-BTF station textures, but that does not affect gameplay.

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 22:08

Thank's, but as i asked in the first line, particularly XP, as i'm using XP.
Also i'm probably using 32 bit mode.

Or to put it simply will they run on XP?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 23:06

I think the point everyone is making is that if they run on Windows 7--a far newer OS than XP--then they'll run on XP. It would be a bit strange for a game written in 2000 to stop working in 2002 and then suddenly start up again in 2010, wouldn't it?

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 23:11

I have played it in Windows XP 32 bits, both X:BtF and X-Tension. They worked flawlesly, but I had to tweak it's priority. If it was run at normal priority, the game would run accelerated, but at very low priority it would run at a normal speed.

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 00:23

Lowering it's priority to fix it interesting :) .

PJknibbs, i guess the main thing i'm asking, is, has anything changed between the X Gold disc and the Steam versions, because, as i said they wouldn't work for me and caused me to have audio problems, in X2 and X3, when i uninstalled them.

Of course, if i try to play them again, have problems playing, but don't bother uninstalling them, i might just say hell with them and maybe not get the audio problems.

On a more general Steam question, if you buy a game on Steam and have it in your game library, get you sign in the Steam on a different PC and play them?

I've been thinking about upgrading or buying a new PC for a while - mine's a nearly seven years Pentium 4, with one gig of Ram.

It ran Reunion, prefectly and plays TC mostly normally with some settings at high, others at medium, but the big thing that hits it with TC is of course that recommended figure of three gigs of Ram - it takes up to five minutes, to load a sector, everytime i go through a Jumpgate :( .

Of course TC only uses a modified version of the engine used by reunion, which is now six years old - surely Rebirth will either have a new engine, or push the minimum specs out of my reach.

If upgrade my PC, particularly my processor, or change to Windows 7 will the PC still have the same system ID and in turn play games from my Steam library?

Is it a Software or Hardware change to change to 64 bit Windows, also, what are it's pros and cons vs 32 bit?

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 00:56

If you log on to your steam account from another computer, you can play all your games. Your savegames will most likely not be transferred. Only those games using steam to save on, will. DID on X3 will be transferred, but traditional games will have to be moved by hand.

I've got my steam account on 3 different computers. No problem there. The account is not locked to your computer, but your username and password.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 01:47

pjknibbs wrote:I think the point everyone is making is that if they run on Windows 7--a far newer OS than XP--then they'll run on XP. It would be a bit strange for a game written in 2000 to stop working in 2002 and then suddenly start up again in 2010, wouldn't it?
Win7 has more compatibility options than XP, which had more compatibility options than 2k. So what you describe sounds perfectly normal to me :p

(the worst are cases were something won't run on Win2000, but using the Win2000 compatibility mode is the fix to get it to work in WinXP and/or Win7 :evil: . I ran Win2000 as my main OS until this summer, so I ran into that plenty, along with old games that were happy in XP but not in 2000)

--

As to the OP, I'm not much help, as I'm another "X-Superbox all work fine on my Win7 64-bit". The Steam Superbox version of X:BtF identifies itself (on the launcher thingy) as version 2.2 from July 2010, with titles about being the D3D accelerated version. If the boxed version you have lists itself as something earlier than that, maybe the Egosoft site has a patch that can update you?

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 09:53

So yeah the games are cheap enough, to at least add to my game library, then i'll decide whether to try them again, on my current set up or wait 'til get a much needed PC upgrade or new PC - 2:24 each :) .

They're that price until January, other games i've added to my Steam checkout are Stalker: Clear Sky and Psychonauts - both of which are from the current Steam daily offers.

Clear Sky is 2:49, as it deal is going on.
Psychonauts, which was in yesterday's deals WAS that price, 'til i fell asleep after watching film, came back to these posts and my Steam checkout to find it's offer had expired and it's up to 4:99 :( .
I'll probably still buy Psychonauts, but with all four games in my total comes to a massive (not :) ) total of 11:96, but it would have been, 9:46! :) .

(I've got Stalker 1 and 3 already, which is why, i'm not buying those :) .)
(And personally shocked looking up, Psychonauts "Wow the demo, which i played seeming yesterday was on PS2!")

Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of 64 bit Windows Vs 32 bit Windows and do you have to change things in your hardware or software to activate it?

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 10:27

So i bought all of them, according to the install option, the two X games need only about 680MB's of space and as i said already, i only got sound problems in other X games, when i removed them so leaving them on my hard drive, if i still have trouble wouldn't be a huge issue.

Seems there was patch for them, last December which adds improved support for newer OS's.
Looking at the games news sectons, they don't list any updates, like when i go to TC's Steam news and it lists what patches were added.

Does Steam add ALL patches, even if they're not listed in a games news or update history section?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 11:34

Steam has the latest version of all the games. Do not apply patches manually.

As for the general non-game questions in the previous post, please head over to the Off Topic forum if you want to discuss recommendations for hardware, operating systems and the like.

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 11:36

tanner1ie wrote:Does Steam add ALL patches, even if they're not listed in a games news or update history section?
The 'news' and 'update history' sections are not to be relied upon, as they are usually woefully incomplete, and (at least for the games I play) rarely actually mention *any* of the updates or patchs applied to anything but the Steam Client itself.

As far as the X series, Steam does not automatically install the Bonus Packs - those you have to download (from egosoft / the forums) and install yourself. The actual patches do get installed via Steam's automated updating, though.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 12:09

Vyrebird wrote:The 'news' and 'update history' sections are not to be relied upon, as they are usually woefully incomplete, and (at least for the games I play) rarely actually mention *any* of the updates or patchs applied to anything but the Steam Client itself.
In the case of X-BTF and X-T, the reason that they are empty is that there have not been any updates since the games were added to Steam. All the patches were pre-applied before Steam ever got to see the games.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”