Best way to make 'moola' - factory or TS3?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Megalos

Best way to make 'moola' - factory or TS3?

Post by Megalos » Sat, 17. Dec 11, 21:31

I've just started out in AP, gone the trader route (least steep learning curve and I like to empire build).

I was wondering what is the most effective way to start earning money early game out of those 2 options?

If the answer is factory, what factory and where should I place it in AP? I have read some of the guides, which most suggest a cahoona bakery in Argon Prime. Is that still considered up to date?

Thanks in advance!

(really impressed with the community here so far! give youselves a pat on the back, it's been a while since I've been to a forum that isn't full of douches!)

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sat, 17. Dec 11, 21:40

First off, welcome to the forums. :D

In answer to your question, there's not really any 'right' way to do things when it comes to trading - because of the dynamic economy, stations are being demolished and built all over the place all the time, so a station making a killing in one game may make no money at all in another. Because of this, a Mk3 trader is a more reliable investment in general with regard to pure income pre credit spent because they can choose what - and where - to trade.

HOWEVER, with the Universe as dangerous as it is, Mk3 traders are very vulnerable to enemy attacks and easily lost. If you assess the local economy well, a station will make as much - if not far more - money than a trading ship will, with the benefit of being protected by massive shields. Unless the map changes are more drastic than I expect them to be, a good place to poke around would be the Seizewell block in Teladi space, specifically Blue Profit. There are several power plants and sun oil refineries, but no flower farms for several sectors. A farm I put there did really well.

Cahoona bakery in Argon Prime wouldn't do too well - there aren't any power plants in the sector and not many nearby, a real necessity for a lone-standing station.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Megalos

Post by Megalos » Sat, 17. Dec 11, 21:44

Thanks for the tips MOTB! May I pick your (and others) brains a little more?

I read in the guide about connecting factories up via a loop. Is that still possible in AP, and if so how would one go about doing that?

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sat, 17. Dec 11, 21:59

Yes, a loop complex is possible, but often expensive. It's facilitated using Complex Construction Kits found at all shipyards, which are what you use to connect stations into complexes.

A popular loop is a self sustaining ('closed') power loop - silicon mine, crystals, base food, processed food, power plant. Depending on the power plant you include, you'll probably have one mine and two each of the other stations for every power plant. These are used both to sell energy to the rest of the universe, and power other stations to produce other wares.

I think the cheapest closed power loop is a Boron one - 2x Boron crystal fab L, 2x Bofu lab L, 2x Bogas L, 1x Silicon mine L, 1x power plant (probaby an L size). You give it some crystals and off it goes, producing infinite energy.

There are also complexes known as 'open loop' complexes, which are partially self sustaining but require resources to be bought from NPC stations or other player stations. Say you're in a sector where you really want to put a power loop, but there are no silicon-yielding asteroids in the sector, instead there being some NPC mines in the neighbouring sector. You'd still be able to build the loop because there's silicon reasonably close by. This means that, while you aren't getting free energy, you are bolstering the local economy.

Basically, an open loop complex buys in some resources and makes the rest. A closed loop makes all its own resources after its initial injection. I may have got the unofficial terminology wrong but that's more or less right. :wink:
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Sir Warwick
x4

Post by Sir Warwick » Sat, 17. Dec 11, 22:11

Personally I trade until I can obtain and equip a decent heavy fighter - then alot of freight pirating - but choose carefully what and where and decide who you want to stay friends with for the next stage of the game.

There is a particular sector that I find really great for freight looting - left-mid map, lots of varied and often hgigh value freight traffic and its a pirate sector - easy to work out which one when you think like a pirate :)

jamafish

Post by jamafish » Sat, 17. Dec 11, 22:18

In AP? unless you're okay with a lot of micro, go with MK3 trading while you personally ferry people around in your TP.

Until that bonus pack comes out, I personally won't go near stations.

Revenat342
x3tc

Post by Revenat342 » Sun, 18. Dec 11, 00:13

One thing about AP that's very nice is the new TS ships. They're almost perfectly designed to function as UTs, they have standard TS speed, superfreighter cargo holds, and 200-400k shielding. They cost a bit more in startup, but I think the added survivability is worth it.

Megalos

Post by Megalos » Sun, 18. Dec 11, 01:02

Thanks for the tips guys! I have just bought my first TSmk3, and sent a pilot off doing his stuff!

Got him to level 8 now, so should I start UT now that he can? If I upgrade his ship with a jumpdrive, will he use it?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”