Friendly fire OOS?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Automatic Jack
x3tc

Friendly fire OOS?

Post by Automatic Jack » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 00:42

I'm tired of my SEWNˆ wing getting called away to Family Njy and Ryk every 5 minutes and I'm thinking about just parking an M2 set to 'defend sector' and walking away from it for awhile.
Is this a reasonably safe thing to do or are the CFA's going to inadvertently start a war between myself and the Split?

Do CFA's and the like even do radiant damage?

Thanks

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 01:55

No.

With purely vanilla code, SWG/Flamer are doing extremely low damage, though.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Automatic Jack
x3tc

Post by Automatic Jack » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 09:36

Cool, thanks.

David Howland
x3tc

Might Need More!

Post by David Howland » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 10:19

You might find one M2 is not enough where the the standard enemy is xenon capital patrols.
My standard defence patrol is an M1, M2, and M7 but for heavy Xenon work I would alter this to M1 and 2 or 3x M2s. Even with this level of patrol I would watch any action and jump in to assist if necessary. I have three defence patrols in this area!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Automatic Jack
x3tc

Post by Automatic Jack » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 11:53

I currently have 3 M7's responding to threats in that area, a Shrike, a Gannet and a Sendai M7M and they've been doing pretty good.

I bought a Titan to take over this patrol, do you think I should add a fighter wing? or maybe with a light carrier?

David Howland
x3tc

M2s

Post by David Howland » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 12:20

The thing with M2s is, if the enemy is Khaak or pirates you can stick flack on the turrets to take care of the small stuff but with Xenon as enemy the M2 needs large weapon pointing in all directions leaving it exposed to fighter attack.
My heaviest Xenon patrol in the Xenon sector east of TUS3 I have three Ossakas and a Tokyo; The lead Ossaka has Ossaka 2 and the Tokyo protecting it, Ossaka 3 protects the Tokyo.
You will have to arrive at you own solutions as player style is a factor!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Automatic Jack
x3tc

Re: M2s

Post by Automatic Jack » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 21:03

I haven't flown M2's OOS very often so thanks for this advice.
As to playing style, I like to Turtle in all games that let me, building up a sufficient economic base that, in response to threats, will allow me to forgo subtly of strategy in favor of overwhelming force.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 01:58

Against Xenon, I tend to just plop an Osaka triad on the jump point. Very rarely does anything get past them. For other incidents (such as where I don't have a blockade yet, or against random pirate and Kha'ak attacks), I have several M7s and a Boreas that I've kitted out for OOS duty.

@Automatic Jack: BTW, the Defend Sector command is not permanent. The ship will search for enemies within the sector. If it finds nothing, it will stop. Against Xenon, you want to set them on the jump point (easy way: jump them to the gate from which they enter the system), then order them to Defend Position.

And CFAs and other splash-damage weapons don't do jack OOS. FAAs are better weapons both IS and OOS.

EDIT: That should be OOS for the CFA not doing jack, not IS.
Last edited by StarSword on Sat, 29. Oct 11, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 02:28

Just in case the OP isn't aware of OOS combat mechanics...

General rule is the bigger the gun the better. Area damage doesn't apply and weapons do not miss. Energy also isn't factored. Ships will fire at one target at a time in "combat rounds" with all available weapons. This will cause tons of overkill when fighting swarms of soft targets.

Keeping these things in mind, more ships is always better for OOS combat since it provides more targets for damage to be spread around. Using m7 for OOS combat patrols is not bad, but I'd probably stick with Agamemnons and Deimos' for their heavy shields and both can fit IBL.

One other thing is also try to avoid equipping missiles or ammo based weaponry. Or rather I should say, avoid using ammo based weaponry with energy based. I believe only the ammo weapons will fire in OOS combat and once they run out, nothing will fire. In regards to missiles, ships will fire one missile or one salvo from their guns. Considering you're using heavy ships, chances are your energy weapons will do more damage even if you're loaded with hammerheads or firestorm torpedoes.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Automatic Jack
x3tc

Post by Automatic Jack » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 07:30

StarSword wrote: BTW, the Defend Sector command is not permanent...
garv222 wrote:Just in case the OP isn't aware of OOS combat mechanics...
I was only vaguely aware of half of that and then wrong about that half too. So putting disruptor missiles in my Shrike and telling it to fire away was one hell of a bad idea.
I'm not entirely sure how MARSˆ handles OOS fighting but as alot of these ships were once my Player Ship and I'm all over the place when equipping those, I should really make sure they're not getting screwed up for want of ammo.

Thanks a ton guys.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”