Ship(s) manoeuverability in X-R.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mordobb

Ship(s) manoeuverability in X-R.

Post by Mordobb » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 16:07

Today helicopter are able to fly straight forward while manoeuvering on the tree axis (I.E: flying looking straight north (0 degrees) while cockpit is looking full East (90 degree) for example.)

In Evochron Mercenaries you are able to "turn off maneuver compensators"(or whatever) so you can manoeuver on your 3 axis (pitch, yaw and roll) freely while maintaining original cap. (efectively the ship only revolve around its gravity center)

This mean i can plot a course that will make me pass near a bigger ship, and face it while i pass shooting whatever weapon i have at it, This is also usefull to try to shoot down incoming missiles.

It would be refreshing to see this in X-R as it would bring new possibilities in battles. This could be an upgrade only, maybe only for small ships or any, i don t know)

This also give a feeling of real space flight situation as flying in X universe feels a bit too much as regular earthly planes in atmosphere.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 19:30

Helicopters work a bit differently from spaceships though.

Helicopters can fly in any direction you tilt the rotor, by exploiting the interaction between the thrust and gravity.

Space doesn't have gravity, so if you want to go in a direction, you have to point the engines in the opposite direction, and use the counterforce from the fuel being ejected backwards to propel you forward.

So in order to actually accelerate in a direction without looking at it, you would have to mount the engines sideways on the ship, or on a gigatic swivel arm.

The best you could realistically get is being able to turn the engines off and drift while turning whichever way you like, as well as limited control with the strafe drive, but nothing like what you'd get with a helicopter.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 20:03

Yes. There's already a thread for this and similar things called "Ship engines and behaviour" or something like that.

You can boost your ship to whatever speed, turn off inertial dampners and turn around and you're flying full speed in a different direction.

If the strafe drives could incrementally increase your speed, rather than give a single speed boost, you could, again, boost your ship (at a lower acceleration rate due to the weaker strafe engines) to full speed and turn around.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”