Drunk ideas. Ore refining, Loot/salvage

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xavierd

Drunk ideas. Ore refining, Loot/salvage

Post by xavierd » Sat, 22. Oct 11, 20:42

The following are just some guinness fuelled brainfarts. Not intended as things to expect in Rebirth.

1: Ore(s)* could be refined into metal as a separate process (see teladianium foundries) instead of factories using raw ore as a resource. Basic mines will simply extract, with refineries being either other dedicated stations, or expensive modules for mines themselves. Edit: derp. forgot this is already in :s

2a: Instead of just kersploding and maybe dropping some unequipped cargo, ships/stations destroyed in-sector* may leave behind a wreck, either on a timer to prevent universe flooding with junk, or until leaving sector*. The player (and possibly competing npc's) can deploy salvage drones on these wrecks to recover stuff. Usually just a little scrap metal, maybe the occasional rarer material, rarer still equipment?
2b: Extremely low chance to happen OOS*, or when player enters a zone

3: Scrap metals from salvage, normal deadship drops or hidden ship graveyards can be processed similar to ores.

* or Rebirth equivalent.

After reading what i wrote, some of them sound kinda eve-ish. Not my intention, i just not with good words am. Ideas are based around allowing for hardwar scavenger/freelancer junker style play, combing the less civilised areas of space "space-bum" style, picking through trash for that occasional boot with chocolate pudding on the bottom.
Last edited by xavierd on Sun, 23. Oct 11, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 22. Oct 11, 23:47

Judging from this article, your first idea will be in effect. Ore goes in, metal comes out.

I'm in favor of the second idea, I'd like to see salvaging more fleshed out than "ship explodes, drops crates." But there's no information on how ship capturing/looting/boarding works right now.
Last edited by A5PECT on Sun, 23. Oct 11, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 00:00

No idea how i forgot that article

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 00:40

I like you title idea..... Drunk Ideas... should like a creative explosion is several bottles.

Rugby World Cup final tonight..... and beverage of choice.. followed by ideas that could be added to X-R.

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 03:01

grbaker wrote:Rugby World Cup final tonight
HRH Betty the 2nd has sent her boats to the colonies as motivation. Do not fail. Sarkozi will be getting a similar visit from the SAS if you screw up.

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 03:12

xavierd wrote:
grbaker wrote:Rugby World Cup final tonight
HRH Betty the 2nd has sent her boats to the colonies as motivation. Do not fail. Sarkozi will be getting a similar visit from the SAS if you screw up.
SAS won't be required if we do... only lots of rope.

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Sun, 23. Oct 11, 12:38

All Blacks by 1 point...scarey final. Go NZ.

My idea.. shield types... different shields with their pros & cons.

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Tue, 25. Oct 11, 01:39

grbaker wrote:All Blacks by 1 point...scarey final. Go NZ.

Think that should be in, Freelancer had them I believe :)

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Wed, 26. Oct 11, 04:38

Was it Freelancer....? Hmm ... shields that return some weapon energy to your weapon generator..... others better at deflecting energy weapons vs particle or matter weapons... plenty of options.

Even defensive shields that use shield impact position to auto-fire a retaliation shot back at.

I always felt that the old Mass Drivers needed a counter like "The Electro-Magnetic Repulsion shields" that are 100% effective against Mass Drivers.

Just adds more balance options.

jernaugurgeh
x3tc

Post by jernaugurgeh » Wed, 26. Oct 11, 14:14

koyuka wrote:
grbaker wrote:All Blacks by 1 point...scarey final. Go NZ.

Think that should be in, Freelancer had them I believe :)
definitely like this idea and the principle could be extended to other upgrades. e.g. Cargo Bay Life support - cheap option that can sustain 1 other person, then gradually more expensive options up to unlimtted support.

edit: i've been thinking about this a bit more and it strikes me that there really aren't very many people trying to get around the x-universe. think about how many people get the train everyday in the real world - In the x-universe there should be tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people wanting to move from sector to sector.

it would be good to see transport hubs (equivalent of train / bus stations) in each sector with the player able to set up transport routes shuttling large numbers of people between sectors. this wouldn't be mission based, there would be a standard time you are expected to take (would leave plenty spare) between each sector / zone.

this would add yet another career choice to the game, with the player able to build up a massive transport company
Last edited by jernaugurgeh on Thu, 27. Oct 11, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

Muad'Dib
x3

Post by Muad'Dib » Wed, 26. Oct 11, 16:45

grbaker wrote: I always felt that the old Mass Drivers needed a counter like "The Electro-Magnetic Repulsion shields" that are 100% effective against Mass Drivers.

Just adds more balance options.
If they would bring back the armor concept I think it would add a lot more options. In X3 everything is so shield heavy, once you break through them your job is pretty much done. Having armor (not just hull integrity) as a separate form of defense would add more variety and tactical options. Some ships might be heavily shielded but have paper thin armor and thus be more vulnerable to mass drivers and the like while others might have armor so tough that mass drivers can't scratch them forcing you to use high-yield torpedoes (which may be countered by strong shields etc, etc.).

Another thing I'd like to see is a more sophisticated damage system. Individual subsystems should be able to be damaged in addition to being destroyed outright. Damage the maneuvering thrusters and the ship should have trouble turning in certain directions (depending on which thrusters were hit). Damage the sensor array and your radar cuts in and out, things like that. Would be fun to try and conduct repairs in the middle of a fight with your copilot flying the ship, or vice-versa. Definitely adds that extra layer of immersion.

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Wed, 26. Oct 11, 20:29

Yep armor and armor types would be cool too.. considering the depth X3TC had in ships, guns and missiles... yeah to would be nice to see some armor plating options. Even armor on the turrets need not be the same as the ships hull plating.

I did see in that interview video that there was mention of targeting and damage to subsystems (shields, turrets and engines i think got a mention)...

RetiredBard
x3ap

Post by RetiredBard » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 02:00

Muad'Dib wrote:
Another thing I'd like to see is a more sophisticated damage system. Individual subsystems should be able to be damaged in addition to being destroyed outright. Damage the maneuvering thrusters and the ship should have trouble turning in certain directions (depending on which thrusters were hit). Damage the sensor array and your radar cuts in and out, things like that. Would be fun to try and conduct repairs in the middle of a fight with your copilot flying the ship, or vice-versa. Definitely adds that extra layer of immersion.
This reminds me so much of the original Privateer game. It had the sensor damage making your radar flicker, thruster damage reducing maneuverability, etc.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 04:48

Ore is a better choice to buy than finished metal. Lets say i want stainless and the other guy want flexible one with high ammount of carbon within... if we speaking about thiny details ;p
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

jernaugurgeh
x3tc

Post by jernaugurgeh » Mon, 31. Oct 11, 12:45

I know complexes will work a little differently in XR but I'd like to see some kind of template design option. Have an area where I can mock up a combination of modules etc... tweak their positioning, add new modules and then save that configuration under a particular name. I could then instruct my TLs to build a particular complex configuration in a particular place and leave them to get on with it.

This would remove the need to go back and forth carefully placing each factory one by one.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”