Pausing and issuing orders

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mike2R
x3tc

Pausing and issuing orders

Post by mike2R » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:36

I've not followed a lot of the debate about X:R, so if this has been done to death already then apologies.

I'm curious whether the pausing mechanic will be the same in X:R as it was in X3 - ie, you cannot do anything while the game is paused so all orders have to be issued in real time.

I've never been sure if the way it works in X3 was just a side-effect of the way the engine worked, or a deliberate design decision.

I'm not even sure which I'd prefer, just curious if anyone knows?

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:56

no facts about this as of yet but i doubt you will be allowed to pause and then issue orders. adds a challenge having to fly your ship at the same time as telling your cap ship to retreat in the heat of battle lol
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

mike2R
x3tc

Post by mike2R » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 17:48

I suspect you are right - time pressure in combat is part of the game.

I've caught myself wishing for pausing and entering commands more than a few times though... even if it is only "target that bloody missile so I can shoot it before it kills me" :)

tommo8893
x3tc

Post by tommo8893 » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 18:02

It may be handy to be able to do so, but it would be a bit of a simulation breaker, it would be like pausing flight simulator to switch the flaps up, so not sure..

PhanttoM

Post by PhanttoM » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 18:59

As long as the command interface doesn't leave me quadriplegic and block the view of my flightpath, I 'm fine with either realtime commands, paused or even slow-motion. :)

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 19:41

Far as we can tell we will be playing as an avatar using NPC interaction to issue orders, would feel a bit odd being able to pause the universe but move your avatar and strike up a conversation with someone and give them orders what to do once the universe starts moving again... ;)

Atmus
x2

Post by Atmus » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 20:19

A pissible justification for being able to stop time and issue orders is the fact that your method of issuing orders is also your method for everything else. You only have two hands with which to navigate a menu tree AND fly the ship, whereas realistically you could be flying and yelling orders at people.

An arguement against that is that the computer needs to handicap you somewhat to make up for the fact that no matter how good an AI they manage to cram into this game, it's still going to be a drooling moron compared to a human.

dbcohen
x4

Post by dbcohen » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 21:45

Far as we can tell we will be playing as an avatar using NPC interaction to issue orders, would feel a bit odd being able to pause the universe but move your avatar and strike up a conversation with someone and give them orders what to do once the universe starts moving again...
not true...the screenshots clearly show a cockpit like view, but if x-Rebirth follows the camera mechanics of previous games it the series the there will be an external view as well

evidence...
[ external image ]

StarCrack
x3tc

Post by StarCrack » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 22:35

dbcohen can you just post a link next time

Thanx

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 09:53

There is some usefullness of pausing the game beside the "chance' to cheat with it. To reconfigure some button settings under enemy fire. Ok i know some of us will say that is also a cheat because in real life you can not do that and who knows maybe i cah agree with this.....

Running in background enabled but what if i have to alt+tab the game but i dont wanna loose any experience or some real life things such as someone knockig at the door..... That can not be done with pasued game.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 09:59

dbcohen: I have absolutely no idea what your point was, we still manage our stuff via NPC interaction regardless of where we look with the camera. We still cant manage a station or capital ship without talking to the people that manage them, we are still represented in the universe via an avatar regardless of us looking thru his eyes or watching from third person perspective inside or outside a ship. I don't mind if you don't agree with me but you missed the point by a mile.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”