Mobile mining in Terran space

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Palladin888
x3tc

Mobile mining in Terran space

Post by Palladin888 » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 05:39

I am thinking about setting up some mobile mining in some of the deeper Terran spaces with lots of roids. I seldom ever go into them myself since i can not jump in. Travel time just takes to long and I refuse to get out of my Vidar unless its to piss behind a local moon.

I will use Baldrics for the mining. I am curious what the guroos think about mobile mining in Terran space.

With this idea in mind I could use some advice on setting up the ships to start with.

PS since i am gona set this up and never be in system I am not concerned about the time ti takes ships to do stuff. I am not in any hurry to do anything. I am just really enjoying learning the diff aspects of the game.
X3TC Vanilla with bonus pack
Start: Terran Defender
Terran plot complete
Goner plot complete
New Home plot at 50,000,000 credits step
Operation Final Furry on last step.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 06:18

There's plenty of mobile mining how-tos in the Guides sticky. Also, deca.death has a guide linked in his signature if I remember correctly.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Palladin888
x3tc

I am familar with Deca.Deth

Post by Palladin888 » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 07:34

I have been reading Deca.Deths thread about mobile mining. I find some of it hard to understand.

I am sure that I will get it figured out by the time I have the cr to implement my plan.

I want to set up my mining ops to be hands free where the ships do everything on their own.

I do not have any TLs for storing the ore yet so I am at a lose as to how to store it. I am still working on the Final Fury and the New Home plots be fore i can start the HUB plot.

Right now i am still in the research and plan stage.
Terran plot complete
Goner plot complete

Vyrebird
x4

Re: I am familar with Deca.Deth

Post by Vyrebird » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 08:26

Palladin888 wrote:I want to set up my mining ops to be hands free where the ships do everything on their own.

I do not have any TLs for storing the ore yet so I am at a lose as to how to store it. I am still working on the Final Fury and the New Home plots be fore i can start the HUB plot.

Right now i am still in the research and plan stage.
The TLs are just a 'buffer' for temporary storage, so that the CLS2 you have collecting from the miners isn't tied to the CLS2 that you have delivering the ore/silicon to complexes (or wherever you intend to send it). As such, you could just use a TS inplace of the TL - preferably a large TS, but anything that can hold at least as much as your delivery CLS2 should work. In the extreme, you could just leave it out entirely, and have the delivery CLS2 load directly from the collection CLS2. The intermediate helps keep the system running smoothly and gloss over hiccups and such, but it should work well enough without (especially if you're doing a "Collect Rocks" rather than "Mine Minerals" setup, since the former is much more tolerant of hiccups).

With Terran space, I suspect the only real change you'll need to make is to use more of the delivery CLS2 ships. Since they can't just jump in to load up the goods from the storage TL, and instead have to slowly fly sublight through Terran sectors to get there, the roundtrip time will be rather large.

rwhiteruff
x3tc

Post by rwhiteruff » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 08:46

I recommend against using those sectors for mobile mining, because they're disconnected from the jump gate system. That can create problems for your distribution chain.

Instead, you'd be better off using Asteroid Belt, since it has a jump gate.

Personally, I prefer using the Sunny Place sector of Harmony of Perpetuity and indeed I use that in my current Terran-ships-only campaign.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 16:49

As pointed out by others this would be a pretty bad idea.

There's two problems. Firstly, unless you are supplying a complex built in the same region, getting your mineral runners in and out will take too long. Given enough ships and storage, it would be technically possible, but from an efficiency point of view it'd bad bad bad.

Secondly, the Balance of Power plot makes heavy use of those sectors apart from the last one...

Maybe later on, one of the sectors near Neptune could be use-able.

Palladin888
x3tc

time is not an issue

Post by Palladin888 » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 21:25

I'm not concerned with the time it takes to move stuff around.

I will be building my complexes in Terran space. I will probably even build most in the same sectors where I will be mining.

Mayhap my exp will prove you all right and I will discover it was a bad idea. :)

After all if the game designers didn't intend those sectors to be used they would not have put so many fat roids there right.

As for needing more ships due to the lack of jump ability....I figured on that from the start.

I am guessing at the height of operations I may be employing as many as half a dozen TLs.

I am sure i will figure a way to make my plans work.

I am not in an hurry, I have all the time i need to figure it all out. Short of sudden death nothing will stop me.
Terran plot complete
Goner plot complete

Vyrebird
x4

Re: time is not an issue

Post by Vyrebird » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 07:07

Palladin888 wrote:After all if the game designers didn't intend those sectors to be used they would not have put so many fat roids there right.
Or that's exactly why - it balances the rich asteroids with the royal pain of utilizing them.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 10:50

If you put mines on them it's a slightly different case. Mines come with storage built in.
Mobile mining is different. You need to deal with a massive amount of volume.
If you intend to build complexes up there, do that first and then set up moile mining to supply them. Setting up a mobile mining fleet without them is basically pointless.
You will need something stupid like 10x as many transfer ships as actual miners....
Try it by all means, all you will end up with is a massive investment for few minerals out, and a lot of full miners...
If you put mines on the roids, you could possibly sell the mineral "locally" but really the terran economy already has abundant cheap Ore and barely uses Silicon.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”