Spectre missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Andrew1000000
x3tc

Spectre missiles

Post by Andrew1000000 » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 11:16

I can't buy any for my springblossom, as the two factorys in Solar space don't exist, and the two factorys in Aldrin never have any in stock, and can't produce due to resource shortage.

Is it worth building factorys in Aldrin to make up for the shortfall in resources for the missiles ?

Aldrin's a ballache of a sector, with the lag and huge distances.

Thanks

detees

Post by detees » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 11:22

imo, the easiest way is to set up some ST in Aldrin. Then u should be able to buy spectre missiles soon.
in my game there are always plenty of them.

Andrew1000000
x3tc

Post by Andrew1000000 » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 11:25

Ah yes, good idea. I'm guessing Terran ships will be appropriate here, for their speed.

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 12:18

Andrew1000000 wrote:Ah yes, good idea. I'm guessing Terran ships will be appropriate here, for their speed.
OTAS Mistral is faster (130 compared to the Baldric's 110). It doesn't have as much armor as the Baldric, but then again, they don't really need it in Aldrin.

David Howland
x3tc

Aldrin!

Post by David Howland » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 12:21

Yes I also entered Aldrin primarily for Spectres,
I have traders and a complex in Aldrin, the complex is closed loop self sustaining producing all foods Teran and commonwealth and plenty of crystals and energy. The traders are sprinblossoms and mistrals in equal measure.
The flow of Spectres slowly started but never became more than a trickle, only really enough to keep my springblossoms supplied. I keep two ships at the weapons fabs and eq. docks to keep my Aran stocked in TUS1 shipyard but there is never enough!
Aldrin and the Terran economies were obviously designed to be an additional Trade challenge for empire builders who got to billionaire then became fed up. Because it is not meant for the beginner it is a pity that to be most successful, you have to start at the beginning of the game!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 21:20

Andrew1000000 wrote:Is it worth building factorys in Aldrin to make up for the shortfall in resources for the missiles ?
In a word, yes. It's called "supply and demand". Once you get into fleet-building, the NPCs never supply enough weaponry to meet player demand. You're always better off supplying your own.
Aldrin's a ballache of a sector, with the lag and huge distances.
Plenty of better places to build besides Aldrin. You could stick, say, a 10-station Spectre factory (that is, 10 Spectre factories complexed together) in Aldrin 2 and feed it with CAGs. Or, if you want to make a closed-loop, you can build it in TUS1*, Asteroid Belt, Jupiter 3, Oort Cloud, Kuiper Belt, or any of a zillion places in the Commonwealth.

* TUS1 has enough silicon and ore to run my enormous Terran Capital Equipment Facility, and there's plenty of silicon left over. Only issue is the Xenon Sector east of TUS3, and if you're talking about building Terran stations, you're probably far enough along in your game that you can finance an Osaka or three to blockade them.
BDK wrote:
Andrew1000000 wrote:Ah yes, good idea. I'm guessing Terran ships will be appropriate here, for their speed.
OTAS Mistral is faster (130 compared to the Baldric's 110). It doesn't have as much armor as the Baldric, but then again, they don't really need it in Aldrin.
Um, I've got a sneaking feeling he was referring to the Springblossom, not the Baldric. :lol:
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

StarSword
x3tc

Re: Aldrin!

Post by StarSword » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 21:25

David Howland wrote:Aldrin and the Terran economies were obviously designed to be an additional Trade challenge for empire builders who got to billionaire then became fed up. Because it is not meant for the beginner it is a pity that to be most successful, you have to start at the beginning of the game!
Or, Egosoft didn't do enough beta testing and didn't realize until after TC's release that Sol and Aldrin don't interact well with the GoD engine.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 21:48

Edit - didn't think to check before posting, but it looks like you can't build Spectre factories :( That somewhat shortcircuits the 'build your own' plan, beyond a Yaki-IBL-feeder-style local support complex.

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 22:31

Beside having three STs in Aldrin, I have one CLS2 freighter supplying the weapon factories with resources, and another one buying the spectres (and all the Aldrin weapons). I've stockpiled more spectres then I'll ever need.

All the others spectre factories are long gone. :(

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Wed, 21. Sep 11, 23:32

Vyrebird wrote:Edit - didn't think to check before posting, but it looks like you can't build Spectre factories :( That somewhat shortcircuits the 'build your own' plan, beyond a Yaki-IBL-feeder-style local support complex.
Oh for crying out loud... :evil:

Okay. Plan B: Cloning exploit.
  1. Acquire one Spectre. Doesn't matter how.
  2. Sell it to a military base or orbital defense station linked to a Terran shipyard.
  3. Buy ten of any ship. Baldric will do it.
  4. Buy the Spectre, then sell it back. The station will now carry 10 Spectres.
  5. Rinse and repeat until you've got as many Spectres as you want.

Andrew1000000
x3tc

Post by Andrew1000000 » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 10:13

heh nice plan :)

@all - thanks for the tips.

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 09:52

Isn't there a mod or a script that makes all terran stations and IBL forges buyable?

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 09:55

Better yet, you can produce them in vainilla. Once you got the terran shipyard up and running.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 10:46

LTerSlash wrote:Better yet, you can produce them in vanilla.
Unfortunately no, you can't buy the factory - as Vyrebird and StarSword found out and said a few posts above.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

David Howland
x3tc

Nope!

Post by David Howland » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 10:50

No you cannot LTerSlash,
The Spectre forge is one a few not available at the TUS1 shipyard, most illogical that most weapon fabs should be available but a few are not but there we go! Just be grateful that Wraith missile production is buyable hey!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 15:13

David, they had to leave out all the Terran stations that had been modelled with no tube connection nodes. If you did somehow get one and tried to complex it then the game would probably crash. There are some more vanilla Terran station types and models that they could have safely added for sale at the Shipyard though.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 19:54

Alan Phipps wrote:David, they had to leave out all the Terran stations that had been modelled with no tube connection nodes.
In a word, bull$#!+. Most of the player-built Terran stations* use entirely different models than the NPC versions. For instance, the NPC PSP Forge is of the cylindrical Cloud City-esque variety, but the player PSP Forge is a rectangular box. Same goes for the USC Food Supply Factory, among others.

EDIT: Oh, and none of them have recognizable connector nodes for the complex tubes, while I'm at it.

* Main exception: mines.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 21:29

@ StarSword: Sorry to pop your bubble (notice that I am remaining polite) but I respectfully restate that you will find that all buyable Terran stations do have connection nodes. Also I know there are several station same-role models different to those for NPCs - and for the very reason that the Player ones have the nodes while the NPC ones may not.

If you don't believe me, go into XModels3DViewer and look at the Terran station models extracted from your vanilla gamefiles - click on the show lasers button when a station is displayed to show the connection nodes (or none).

Back on topic, there is only one Spectre Fab model and it has no nodes.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 22:46

I'm not saying they don't have connector nodes (otherwise, you wouldn't be able to make a complex with them), I'm saying the connector nodes aren't readily visible without using the model viewer. By contrast, you can usually see them on Commonwealth stations.

Masochisto
x3tc

Post by Masochisto » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 23:17

Still, Whether it has no connector nodes because it was excluded, or if it was excluded because it has no connector nodes is difficult to distinguish. One one think that if they wanted to include it that it would be easy to add connector nodes, or to reuse another model that already had connector nodes.

I would tend to believe that they chose to exclude it or that they forgot to include it. Anyway, there has to be more important things for us to debate...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”