[X2] Capping help with split ships

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nero57James
x3tc

[X2] Capping help with split ships

Post by Nero57James » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 01:34

Okay, so I have a Paranic Pericles, pirated. I have pirated several Pirate ships and Orinocco's with relative ease, many many Bayomons too. I would like to think I am rather good at capping.
Now, I want to get a ship i actually want, rather than chasing up whatever i can. and I really like all the split ships. The one I am aiming for, is the Split Mamba. So, I approch normally, with 2 gamma PAC's, wear down the shields quickly, hull is at or less than 85%. No bail. I repeat...
again... No bail
and again No FRIGGIN' BAIL
AND AGAIN- WHADDAF-
I have tried just shooting them flat out, several times. Never works, they just die and I get some sh*tty missiles to sell.

Get the picture? They won't freakin' bail. I have spent well over 30 mins on each mamba in every GODDAMN SPLIT SECTOR. They just NEVER bail. THey always just say, "Split now give you death!" or something similar.
My rep with them is horrific, 99% last time I checked. What am I doing wrong? i could pirate ANYTHING else like this. Do I need to go use IonD's instead(Thus requiring me to find a better ship)?
Do I need to use some other weapon?
SHould I use missiles?
Do I need to get my rep up with them before they will bail?
Please help. ANYONE, BECAUSE THIS IS REEEEEAAAALLLLLLYYYY PISSING ME OFF. :evil:
Thank you

Side note: Please don't start an argument about races or w/e. I just need some help with capping.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Bails

Post by Bill Huntington » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 03:06

Last edited by Bill Huntington on Fri, 5. Aug 11, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Nero57James
x3tc

Re: Bails

Post by Nero57James » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 03:12

Bill Huntington wrote:Nero57James, sometimes they don't bail. So on to the next. One explanation is 'High Morale'. I like the Poisoned Paranid start, and Mambas and Mamba Vanguards show up as red Paranid ships. They bail like any other.

In this kind of combat, there is a bail check right after 87 point something of hull. After that there is a bail check every time a shot hits.
So take the hull all the down. You want the ship, so even a damaged ship can be repaired.

One pilot says that he waits for a period after reaching 87% of hull, and then proceeds. If the target launches drones, I take out the drones and then go after him. I seem to get more bails after a waiting period, but that is after 87% hull.

I use 3 or 4 IREs to attack the hull. That gives more shots and more opportunities for a bail.

If I don't get the bail in 3 or 4 tries, I figure "High Morals" and move on.

I like capping the big ships, but capping the small ships is one of the better things to do in TC !!
you see where it says [X2]?
Thanks anyway.

reaper651

Post by reaper651 » Fri, 5. Aug 11, 04:54

May not be anything to this but it always seemed it took more work to get a bail on split fighters. It could be a matter of timing and since the Mamba only has 1 25MJ shield they go down too fast?

The Mamba is a nice ship. Keep trying? If the one you are working on won't bail, try another one or try one from an assassin mission. You WILL eventually get a ship. If you have a lot of time, use the ion cannon thingy to keep it's shields down after it's hull is down to 87 or lower.

I love the Split, They are so cute and the sound clip, "Family save me!" always makes me laugh.

Edit: Between the time you start firing and the time they go agg, you should not have knocked their shields down yet. You will have to work on finding the right length of time from after they go agg to dropping their shields and doing 13% or more damage. It is a short period of time but I haven't played in a while so I don't remember what it was.

They easy way is to follow them for 20 minutes hitting with ions. Not guaranteed as some are stubborn.

reaper651

Post by reaper651 » Thu, 11. Aug 11, 19:16

I started playing x2 again but got bored building factories so I started a new easy game, flew to sector Family Whi and found 2 unaffiliated (not belonging to a ship or station) jaguars and a mamba.

The first jaguar went down quickly but left me two wasp missiles. I used a single GIRE on the second and it bailed in short order. For the mamba, I hit it with a wasp then tapped it a few times with the GIRE to make it go agg without dropping it's shields and doing hull damage. After it went agg, I hit it with the other wasp and it bailed at 35% hull.

If you are having trouble capping split fighters, try this method.

Edit: It was bugging me that the mamba's shields dropped so easily so I checked it and sure enough, it had only one 5MW shield. You will need at least 6 wasps to cap a mamba with 25MW shields.
Last edited by reaper651 on Thu, 11. Aug 11, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

McKenna-x2source
x3tc

Post by McKenna-x2source » Thu, 11. Aug 11, 19:55

Best way to cap in x2. Drop them to..... i think it was below 72% hull, then switch weapons to the Boron ion disruptors, does no further hull damage but for each hit the probability of pilot ejecting is re-run. Takes time but eventually they will eject. Ions D's will also knock out weapons and shieds further improving chances of ejecting.
I hate the hub plot!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”