Hyperion Vanguard with 8xPBG.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ghostar
x4

Hyperion Vanguard with 8xPBG.

Post by Ghostar » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 13:45

Hello!
I just bought 8 PBG for my Hyperion, tried with some fighters and M6 and it was pretty overkill, fighters with just one ''shoot'' of the main batteries and M6 with 2 or 3.

Is really ''necessary'' to have 8 PBG? is there any diference between 8 and lets say 6 or 5? didnt tried to kill any M7 or M2.
I know that mostly is AOE and DOT so can't really know the shield and hull DPS.

Also tried to buy some EBC, the wiki and this forums says that they are sold in Paranid space...but the game encyclopedia only show me split stations (all empty).

My idea was to mix PBG with EBC...equally, should be ok?

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 15:11

I have only 4 of them installed. Given that they are supposedly fighter grade weapon they still perform very well. Anything below M7, melts in seconds. So yes, 8 PBG's are overkill, unless you specialize in killing M7 and up. Even so, it's not a very good idea to get too close to Q's and other M7, not to mention bigger ships, as their turrest and flaks will hurt you no matter how good you are at strafing. So they might be useful as a finishing weapon, but for these targets, you better have something with greater range, as distance will make dodging incoming fire easier. In this case I'd probably go for CIGs, or ISR,s, or whatever corvette class weapon you like.

The game encyclopedia only lists systems and stations you have found. Try to map more Teladi systems.
Thereshallbewings

Ghostar
x4

Post by Ghostar » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 15:39

Thanks!

My mistake, i meant PBE not EBC.

I will try to find some PBE, in split stations are nowhere to be found.

I want to use the hyperion as my main ship at least for a while (i used a M7 Panther in my previous games as a flag ship and the M2 are too slow).

I noticed that the PBG and the PBE are a close range weapons ~1km, so any M7 or Xenon will roast me so close, right? maybe a i should use some heavy missile.

Or

Should i use 4 PBG plus 4 ISR / CIG (energy consumption high? / EBC

Sorry for my bad english :oops:

Hubert99
x3tc

Post by Hubert99 » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 16:15

PBE ? They indeed are scarce. I had to build a complex for it, for my Asp wing. Sometimes build missions give PBE forges ... if you can't find one, build one.

PBE's are not that great on a Hyperion IMO, but they are great on a Mamba, for example.
Thereshallbewings

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 16:25

Take a look at using the Ion Shard Railgun. I started with the PBG, but too many friendly fire incidents, so I switched to the ISR. 8 of them chewed up my energy pretty fast so I swapped half out for CIGs. Ranges on both are similar so you can enter a battle all guns blazing if desired, or set them up in 4 gun banks to swap around however you wish. FBLs and HEPTS round out the turrets, again similar ranged weapons, although I'm toying with swapping the HEPTs out for EBCs.

Other than an occasional Wasp to pick off some M5 buzzing around, I haven't done much with missiles, but I've got a stock of heavier missiles on hand for when they are needed for taking on some of the stronger M7s and weaker M2s.

Ebonyfly
x3tc

Post by Ebonyfly » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 16:32

My favourite loadout is 4 PBGs and 4 CIGs. Much as I enjoy PBEs they don't really add much to your PBGs, whereas the CIGs give you a long range option.

As far as energy consumption goes I believe that CIGs are more energy efficient than ISRs. I also enjoy their knock-back effect. If you as much as clip a fighter with your CIGs their game is likely over because you will be in PBG range by the time they regain control of their ship.

In practice, I have found that energy is only an issue if you need to fire continuously for a long period. It can therefore take 2 or 3 passes to take down a Q with lasers alone but i have not met anything below M7 class that can withstand a short burst of PBGs and CIGs

Ghostar
x4

Post by Ghostar » Mon, 18. Jul 11, 17:24

Well, i will try 4 PBG / 4 CIG in different banks
Have 4 HEPT in the front turrets plus the 4 PBG in the main i believe that will be enough for any anti fighter job. (Auto HEPT until range for PBG...if survives the HEPTs)

For anti capital ship, 4 CIGs plus the auto HEPT until i can switch bank for CIG/PBG

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 11:00

Ebonyfly wrote:My favourite loadout is 4 PBGs and 4 CIGs.
ditto.

CIGs for the range, then finish off the ones that survive that with PBG.

Group 1 = 1 CIG
Group 2 = 4 CIG
Group 3 = 4 PBG
Group 4 = EVERYTHING :twisted:

And have EBCs in the front turrets and PACs in the rear.

Can take on a Q in comfort with that load-out :)
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 11:30

Just a small variation:

4 CIG
3 PBG
1 PBE

The PBE in Group 4 for capping purposes; don't forget to switch off the Turrets when capping.

heratik
x3tc

Post by heratik » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 12:03

zazie wrote:don't forget to switch off the Turrets when capping.

Haha, so many times this has caught me out that I usually have my turrets set to none as default....then wonder why I am getting spanked by groups of fighters all the time :D

Ghostar
x4

Post by Ghostar » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 14:15

Bank 1: 4 PBG
Bank 2: 4 CIG
Bank 3: All.

IMHO the CIGs are too slow to hit fighters, that is no problem at all the 4 HEPT in my front turrets almost shred any M3-M4 and in close range a gentle kiss of the PBG finish the work. (if needed)

Basically i use the CIG only against M6...have to try my hyperion against an M7.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 19. Jul 11, 18:13

Also vote for CIG / PBG combination, one of my favorite hyperion combination. It takes some practice to effectively using CIG vs fighters but it's possible. With this combination you'll have everything -range and power.

However you should at least try out 8 HEPT combo. It's solid "no bullsh*t" simple effective vs all and powerful combination, and better suited for newbie for sure.

Ghostar
x4

Post by Ghostar » Thu, 21. Jul 11, 02:01

Ghostar wrote:Bank 1: 4 PBG
Bank 2: 4 CIG
Bank 3: All.

IMHO the CIGs are too slow to hit fighters, that is no problem at all the 4 HEPT in my front turrets almost shred any M3-M4 and in close range a gentle kiss of the PBG finish the work. (if needed)

Basically i use the CIG only against M6...have to try my hyperion against an M7.

Great!
With this config i killed 2 Xenon Q :D
The M1 are a different thing, they still kill me :lol:

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Thu, 21. Jul 11, 03:08

PBGs are useful not only for their efficiency (power used vs damage done), but the way the flames can damage multiple ships at once. They are hands down the best things against Kha'ark clusters, and other swarming pesky M5s. But that's also their biggest disadvantage, depending on whether friendly ships/stations are in range. If I could put PBEs in the HV turrets I think that would be ideal.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”