Dumbest death you've ever had?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 06:49

orion84 wrote:Embarrasing deaths (not mine):

Sitting in my panther managing my empire, sitting still. every now and then a fighter will decide to scratch my paint. even the AI can't fly their own ships!
I think everyone runs into that one when they make the move to capital ships.

I certainly did. Folks here call it bug-splatting sometimes. I call it "failure to obey the Law of Gross Tonnage."
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

war_machine42

Post by war_machine42 » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 08:06

StarSword wrote: I think everyone runs into that one when they make the move to capital ships.

I certainly did. Folks here call it bug-splatting sometimes. I call it "failure to obey the Law of Gross Tonnage."
"If it is bigger than you, GTHOOTW!" Good rule to live by.

My dumb death came when I was doing some 'police action' in my Falcon Vanguard. I'm pretty new, so I'm jetting around Split Fire in my shiny M3, and on a whim, I scan a Argon Freighter Nova. I figure, "Why not? If he is a smuggler, I have the chance to cap a Nova." Scan finishes, says complete, I look at the cargo, and he has missiles, and I sorta shrug. I'm about to write him off when suddenly I hear the music change, and hear the missile lock tone. I didn't have enough time to go WTF before I was instagibbed by a pair of missiles from the smuggler Nova.

I really hate missiles.

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 13:11

Does getting fried by one of your own ships' PSGs counts as dumb death? :mrgreen:

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 13:16

I'm still not sure if I should call this stupid or just bad timing. Full story.

Short version: I was in my Elephant in Paranid Prime, checking out a fight between Argon and Paranid. I undocked to fly to a nearby station and a big missile hit my Elephant, blowing me up too. WTF ensued.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 27. Mar 11, 22:49

Okay, that beats every dumb death I've posted so far. I just station-bombed myself.

I saw an opportunity, so I decided to build a solar XL in Argon Prime. I hit 5 to center it on me, then moved out of the way.

Or so I thought.

Next thing I know, the station placement cutscene plays, I get a message saying Patrol Command Software destroyed, and then game over. I'm just glad I'd saved a couple minutes earlier, or I might've lost the used Magnetar with two elite marines that I had just bought.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Gregtronix

Post by Gregtronix » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 05:00

It's not a death, but it's definitely the dumbest thing I've ever done...

Just bought a brand spanking new, 42 odd million credit 25MJ shield facitlity, placed it, fully self sufficient, left the power station till last, had 10K E-Cells docked and ready for action, set up the SPP, unloaded the ecells and hey presto... action....

Watched all my lovely stock levels increase, all the yellow lines slowly changed to white, Nice one, I'm thinking, sorted...

Then all of a sudden, I'd realised that I'd not noticed any Shield production... Puzzled by this I check all of the stations etc, nothing, I was very confused at this stage...

I definitely bought the station, I had to nurse the bloody thing all the way back through Tkr's Deprivation, so I had it, for sure, nope, no sign of it, I had obviously told the Elephant I no longer needed his services just a little before I no longer needed his services...

What a waste of time and 4.2 million credits... DOH...
Folks, never, ever underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups...

BarneyMcGrew
x3tc

Post by BarneyMcGrew » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 14:06

Mine came when I had been struggling with the end mission in Operation Final Fury (trying to do it in an M6) so built some complexes saved some money and bought a Minotaur and loaded it with all the missiles I could. Flew into the Khaaks system and destroyed the first two stations and guardians no problem, took out the 2 M2's and the M1 then turned to the last station and guardians. Thought sod it and launched everything I had. Que the end mission bit, congratulations and hooray. This was followed by a large number of little white lights all heading towards me. Turns out that Hammers don't have an IFF system and just go for the next target if the one they were originally pointed at is destroyed.
You shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln

wathman00
x4

Post by wathman00 » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 15:18

Not really a dumb death for me, but it effectively made me revert to a 2 day old save because of my own stupidity. I needed to open up a spot at my EQ dock to outfit and load up a new M7 I acquired, so I sent my TL to a nearby station with the "Move to Position" command. The station I randomly happened to pick was an Argon Trading Post, didn't think much of it at the time. 2 days later I go looking for where I put my darn Elephant since I wanted to do a station build mission, and couldn't find it anywhere... After scanning my property list twice, I check my message logs. Sure enough, "Your Elephant has been destroyed by Argon Trading Station." If that weren't bad enough, I was stashing some hard to find/ equip ships like 2 Medusa prototypes, and a Spitfyre with a full load of EEMPCs. Needless to say, I will be very careful where I send my TLs when not in use from now on. Beware of the Argon Trading Station and it's spinning arms of death!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 22:06

There was a time, when Pirate Nova Raider was "the best M3" in X3R. M3+ had not been invented yet. PNR was also rather rare. I had played a long time, yet met (read: kills in statistics) PNR only a couple times. Then I did find one, and by the Almighty RNG it did turn blue.

Did I crash on it or other ships during/after claim? No. Other reds/squash/missiles? No.

The PC had been acting up. Screen went blank and the machine froze or restarted. (Faulty graphics card.) That did happen there and then.

Had I saved after the bail? No. Was RNG generous after reload? No. :shock:

Save. Save. Save. That is how the Goner Insurance business thrives. :goner:

[ external image ]

Simpler dumb moment much later: Someone sold a map leading to a "treasure". Went there, found a ship, claimed it in my suit, climbed back to my M5 ... and with joystick throttle forgotten to wrong spot accelerated to the wall of my brand new Xenon K. Happens to everyone.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”