EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Best in class
View previous topic :: View next topic
redwards

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 10:06    Post subject: Best in class Reply with quote Print

I know there's generally a lot of agreement on what the best in the various classes are, but I thought I'd do a quick poll anyway. My preferences aren't very interesting, I bet a lot of people have the same preferences, but I'm really curious to hear if there's that one dude who uses Boron fighters and has a good reason.

M5: Kestrel. If you're going this small, might as well be blindingly fast. Jaguar Raider if you want to look good running away.
M4: Solano. Punchy for an M4. Pretty much the only M4 worth buying.
M3: For commonwealth ships, I'd go Chimera, but Spitfyres or Cutlasses are great if you can outfit them.
M6: Hyperion or Springblossom for a personal ship. Early on, when you can't get ahold of them, a Skiron will do, but just barely. Skirons are better when you don't have to fly them yourself. Turns like a brick.
M7: Gimme dat Panther.
M7M: I've been using Cobras, but I hear good things about the Sirokos. Rare to be faster than the Split offering.
M8: I never use M8s, no real opinion. Anyone like M8s?
M2: Boreas.
M1: Raptor. If I'm in an M1 I'm there to launch an army, not take a hit.

TP: The Boron Angel blows away everything else in this class, although, at about twice the price, it should. I use Angels for transporting moderate amounts of XL goods at high speeds. They make great EQ dock buyers. It'll also smoke an M4 or two. And it's purdy.
TS: Pretty sure everyone goes Mistral SF here. I also tend to buy whichever TS is closest to the factory I'm setting up, for convenience and variety.
TL: Elephant for your first TL. Great mobile base of operations when you're getting started, dirt cheap, and faster than some M3s (it's actually faster than a few M4s). After the initial Elephant I buy Mammoths for the space.
TM: I never use them, really, but the Chokaro looks like it's a better version of the Boron Angel for about 1/8th the price, so I should probably be using them.

My next game I'm considering going with an all Yaki fleet. Just for fun.

deca.death

MEDALMEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

few comments and opinions or personal favorites:

m3 - tenjin, skate prototype. actually chimera and these two have very similar stats. spitfire is ok, but cutlass? cmon ;-)

m6 - no contest, one and only hyperion vanguard.

btw I would admit that springblossom is an IDEAL ship for ceo type players, non warriors but builders. uncanny speed and flak weapon type means nothing can catch it (not even missiles) and if can - it's dead already. if you dont like combat, SB is safest ship in universe. but seriously, I would never pick SB over hype but that's just me.

m7 - agamemnom. never tried panther though, probably best if you like launching fighters (i don't). but aggy has tremendous firepower, tremendous like strongest in class. same for shielding. and can mount PSG=death for all.

m7m also cobra user. would like to hear more about those OTAS M7M's

m8 - need to buy that thing, I have been producing tomahawks for a while. also would like to hear some advices. btw you can't buy otas m8, I've checked.

TL - mamooth for me please. easier to build complexes and I've never had build mission I couldn't finish because of time. elephant seem very nice also.

TS - mistral, big and small confirmed.

JAFA_NZ

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

M5: Discover Hauler for Early use, especially Taxis, then I usually put together a fleet of them for Satellite Deployment (much cheaper than Kestrels). I usually get a personal Kestrel (eventually) for speedruns & the Hub.

M4: STFU & GTFO!!! (LOL, but seriously, why bother?)

M3: the Xperimental Shuttle ain't shabby, but before that I like the Blastclaw Prototype (especially with Turbo).

M6: Never done much of the Terran plot, so I have to vote for the Hyperion Vanguard.

M7: Panther for buyable, Griffon looks good for if I ever finish OFF though.

M7M: I've been using Cobras myself, but there's been some good points made about the Gannet (Speed being Irrelevant, Cargo Capacity not).

M8: Hades, decent stats, more cargo than a Viper, & it's prettier too.

M2: Never had one, but since I hate OTAS & the Terrans, I'll probably go with a Pytho, Ray, or Akuma.

M1: Raptor, 65 fighters from a platform with speed to "Run Away! Run Away!" after launching them? oh hell yeah. (Hint: What's the US Navy's 1st rule for Gunfights?)

TP: Iguana Vanguard.

TS: Mistral (not SF), Caiman SF XL, Caiman Hauler. sod the Mistral SF (it's good for storage & bulk CLS shipments I suppose).

TL: the Orca used to teh bomb for Mobile Mining, but I haven't been having much luck generating IS collisions in 3.1, the Elephant is a good early TL & light carrier (I prefer 1 Elephant to 4 Chokaros any day).

TM: The Chokaro can only be beaten by the Advanced Chokaro, which doesn't spawn in Vanilla. Sad

If I was playing a modified game with the Yaki Insurgent start & the Weaver's Tempest EQD (adjusted to spawn in Senator's) I'd seriously consider an all Yaki game.

I'd give it more consideration if I get a mod or script which gave their shipyard the ability to sell stations or gave them one that did.

Kirlack

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

There was a similar thread in Creative Universe quite recently. Note my preferences as listed there Wink

Having had a great deal of experience with boarding recently I can say with some authority that the Carrack is a highly versatile and agile ship for it's class, although I may be slightly biased based on the fact the Carrack can fire quad ION-Ds constantly. However as noted above the Aggy is the dominator in terms of firepower, although it's shields are on par with the Deimos. Personally I'm a big fan of the Shrike for a player ship.

As for the M8 class...Hades wins hands down. A few of these packed to the gils with Tomahawks and you can level an entire sector and be home in time for tea. A must have addition to any heavy fleet, and one of my favourite additions to the X series.

Catra

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

M5 - Teladi Harrier. Cheapest fighter that can mount the Mass Driver. The only real cost efficient OOS ship in the game IMO.

M4 - Split Scorpion. HEPT on a nimple, cheap platform like that? Yes please.

M3 - I'd understand the chimera if going all split, but I mean, I just don't get all the rage with dishing out 4million more credits for a forward turret, somewhat better shield regen, and to be slower than the Nova Raider. That said, I'd say the Paranid Advanced Perseus(209 m/s and 4x25 MJ shielding).

M6 - ATF Vidar. Nimble, huge firepower.

M7 - ATF Aegir. Fastest M7. Largest cargo for an M7, 5x1GJ shielding. Tremendous firepower.

M7M - ATF skirnir for destruction, OTAS Sirokos for 2 ship boarding, Teladi Gannet for 1 ship boarding.

M8 - Terran Claymore. Because the phantom is superior in every way to the tomahawk.

M2 - ATF Tyr. Because you just don't call it in unless you really have to.

M1 - Split Raptor. Enough speed, small enough profile to close the gap between capital ships and let loose a vicious broadside, all the while leveling the sector with its compliment of 65 fighters.

TP - Boron Angel. You can actually buy more than one of these and not feel bad about the purchase =P

TS - Mistral, great speed with 0 sacrifice in cargospace.

TL - Split Elephant. Brings much needed flak and build station mission capability to the early game. Terran Atmospheric lifters for complex building.

TM - Yaki chokaro. Excellent ST. OTAS Zephyrus for an actual mini carrier.

deca.death

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Kirlack wrote:

Having had a great deal of experience with boarding recently I can say with some authority that the Carrack is a highly versatile and agile ship for it's class, although I may be slightly biased based on the fact the Carrack can fire quad ION-Ds constantly.

a carrack? really? have capped that ugly can yesterday (mercenary. carrack. sounds kind of nice when betty says it) and decided it's worhless because of 2GJ shields, which is twice worse then class average, not to mention aggy, which I frequently fly. when I fry that target and control it's shield regen, I like to have thick shielding because target doesn't approve my boarding plans :-)

my favorite equipment burner is griffon.

Kirlack wrote:

As for the M8 class...Hades wins hands down. A few of these packed to the gils with Tomahawks and you can level an entire sector and be home in time for tea. A must have addition to any heavy fleet, and one of my favourite additions to the X series.

hades it is then. looks cool that ship.

Kirlack

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Granted the Carrack is fugly. I only have the one and i think it was quite appropriately named "Metal Slug". And whilst yes, it does have dire shielding for an M7 in my experience it's agility makes up for that when you're facing an IBL lobbing Q Wink

I've plans to use it in capturing a Cerberus so I can see how that fares in the same role (more shielding on the Cerb and has that same quality of constant quad ION fire).

To be fair my boarding crew are good enough now that I only need it to fry off troublesome weapons (PSGs) or HPDs, they can get through everything else Smile

deca.death

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Catra wrote:

M5 - Teladi Harrier. Cheapest fighter that can mount the Mass Driver. The only real cost efficient OOS ship in the game IMO.

havent I read here on forum that ammo based weapon actually do not fire OOS, that are useless? never tested that though

Catra wrote:

M3 - I'd understand the chimera if going all split, but I mean, I just don't get all the rage with dishing out 4million more credits for a forward turret, somewhat better shield regen, and to be slower than the Nova Raider. That said, I'd say the Paranid Advanced Perseus(209 m/s and 4x25 MJ shielding).

have flew adv. perseus for some time - nice little ship, a bit ugly and small cargo bay are two main flaws. cargo is essential for ship you plan spending much of your time in.

with mentioned M3+ ships that have energy reserve around 8k, you could afford 4 HEPTs up front and with 4 EBCs (and cargo to back them up) you gain M6 class punch.

Catra wrote:

M7 - ATF Aegir. Fastest M7. Largest cargo for an M7, 5x1GJ shielding. Tremendous firepower.

what so you put in in spinal turrets? mamls?

terran ships are powerful but I don't like their weapons too much.

Kirlack

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

deca.death wrote:
terran ships are powerful but I don't like their weapons too much.

Is that only because they can be difficult to source? Or do you just not like them?

JAFA_NZ

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

deca.death wrote:
Catra wrote:

havent I read here on forum that ammo based weapon actually do not fire OOS, that are useless? never tested that though

I think what you're thinking of is that if you mix Ammo-based & Energy-based weapons in a turret (& possibly in main) when the Ammo runs out, the Energy-based weapons also cease firing.

The other things is that AIUI the OOS combat turn is long enough that energy-based weapons always regenerate enough for another shot (with the possible exception of the TLS which doesn't look like it'd regenerate in a month of sunday's).

Glaceious

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I dont like Terran weapons either. Just not enough variety.

I dissagree allso w/ who ever said the Springblossom not a combat ship. That thing is the ish. Its like piloting a fighter but no .... its an M6.
5 x 200 MJ shielding seems the average for m6's so i allso disagree w/ the whole you get hit your dead thing. The SB is one of my favorate ships for combat.....along w/ the aggy Twisted Evil just love the Aggs brute force.

But for fav ships:

M1 Boreas
TS MSF SF - and the smaller 1 for inner sector tradeing due to speed.
TL Mammoth
M3-5 I only fly untill i can get an M6 or bigger. No preference here. Allthough i do like the Advanced perseus for my sector squads.
M6 Springblossom, Vanguard, Heavy Dragon, Skiron, Heavy Centar. That order.
M7 Agamemnon
M7m No preference. Usually go w/ the cobra or the argon 1.
M8 Carriers i dont use yet. I usually stick w/ big ships in my fleets. Few M1's and a lot of M6's

deca.death

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Kirlack wrote:

Is that only because they can be difficult to source? Or do you just not like them?

not like. and difficult to source also, as you mentioned.

I like process of choosing best weapon outfit for commonwealth vessels, it's fun and allows you to specialize ship for various roles.

besides eempc's are unimpressive at best. I prefer commonwealth alternatives to maml too, which has problems with smaller targets (good thing that's ammo based though).

they also don't have alternative to IBL (or PSG) making their M7 class a joke. starburst is OK. never tried singularity projector.

deca.death

MEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Glaceious wrote:

I dissagree allso w/ who ever said the Springblossom not a combat ship. That thing is the ish. Its like piloting a fighter but no .... its an M6.
5 x 200 MJ shielding seems the average for m6's so i allso disagree w/ the whole you get hit your dead thing. The SB is one of my favorate ships for combat.....along w/ the aggy :twisted: just love the Aggs brute force.

springy has teeth, no quarrel about that. I've just said that it's ideal ship for people who like to avoid combat, and that in no case meant that it can't fight.

although i must admit that I feel much more powerful in a hype. it can mount 12 weapons up front and you choose variety of HEPTs, EBC's, PBG's, CIG's and ISR's in any combination you prefer. efficiency of his punch is unmatched by springy or anyhing else in M6 class. It is equally good vs big targets, small or whatever you like, proven you could use ship right.

Kirlack

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I agree the Springy is a fearsome combat machine, although I rather doubt I'll be making use of it in my current game since my self imposed rules state I can't buy anything larger than an M3 unless it's from the Yaki Pirat

However I'm a Hyperion fan to the core (although at some point I must make the effort to test a Springy as a missile platform and see how it performs against the Hyp). I agree with deca.death that being able to fine tune your weapons loadout to fit a specified role is far easier with commonwealth ships than with Terran, which seem geared more towards "Kil-it-as-quickly-as-possible-whilst-we-sit-behind-our-immense-shielding" school of design, a fact that leads me to believe the Terran military don't field many great fighter pilots Razz

That said I've found the few Terran ships I have played with can still be fine tuned to fit a given role (Springy as interceptor anti-fighter platform with PSSCs? Yummy) but I don't think I would fly one again, mainly since I can't mount PBE or lob Hornets at everything that moves... Very Happy

perkint

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 6. Mar 11, 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

JAFA_NZ wrote:
I think what you're thinking of is that if you mix Ammo-based & Energy-based weapons in a turret (& possibly in main) when the Ammo runs out, the Energy-based weapons also cease firing.

OOS where you put the guns is irrelevant - they're all considered "main guns" for OOS combat.
JAFA_NZ wrote:
The other things is that AIUI the OOS combat turn is long enough that energy-based weapons always regenerate enough for another shot (with the possible exception of the TLS which doesn't look like it'd regenerate in a month of sunday's).

Not quite - simply energy is not taken into account for OOS. One of the reasons the Q is so powerful OOS - its feeble generators don't come into play!

Tim