Observations on the SETA / jump bug

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

glenmcd
x3tc

Observations on the SETA / jump bug

Post by glenmcd » Thu, 24. Feb 11, 16:13

I'm not including my system details here as the bug I'm referring to is well known. I am simply sharing something that I noticed about the bug, which may or may not assist someone with a fix.

Okay, so you command your own ship to go to some other sector. Instead of waiting ten realtime seconds for the jumpdrive to charge, you press J to hurry things along. Only sometimes, it still takes the full ten seconds. I noticed that the "sometimes" has a very distinct pattern. If you do any navigation command in which the jumpdrive is used and it is left to decide which gate within the sector to use, the bug will bite. If you use commands in which you specify which gate to use, the bug never bites. Good luck and hope this helps someone.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 24. Feb 11, 16:30

I think the main purpose of the countdown period, besides game atmosphere and denying an instant escape from all bad situations, is to allow the cpu to calculate things necessary to close the current sector, select the sector arrival point, do collision avoidance and maybe some sector content generation. Naturally as the cpu has to actually do all that work in real time, pressing SETA should have little effect. If you already do some of that work for the cpu (ie arrival point selection by selecting the gate) then it should take rather less time. Just my opinion anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”