Bombers! Bombers everywhere!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Amduscas
x4

Bombers! Bombers everywhere!

Post by Amduscas » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 18:44

Seems just about every combat mission I take has bombers. Which would be fine, except for the fact I've yet to discover a way for my M7 (also using MARS script) to defend itself against 10 or so heavy missiles closing in. I'd have thought the turrets would take care of em seeing as how they're always to me long before my enemies are in range, but they might shoot down one or two. It's impossible to get that ship to whip around fast enough to shoot down all those missiles with M/AM launchers.

What do you guys do to combat these bombers?

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 19:10

Get the Bonus Pack and use Mosquito Missile Defense. It is fairly good at taking down the majority of the closing missiles. It's not perfect, but did save my ASSets a few times.

Alternatively, if you have many missiles coming, warp to a gate in the other end of the sector. It doesn't break the quests and you get away from the missiles, not for long, but it gives your enough time to deal with them.

Also, use your own bombers and missiles. A hammerhead to the face will ruin any bomber's day in flash :D

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 19:19

I don't think the Mosquito defense system would be much use to the OP as he is probably using a Terran ship. M/AM weapons are probably not the best option for shooting down missiles, try swapping them with some EMPCs and see if they make a difference. Alternatively you may want to change to a commonwealth M7 as they have a lot more weapons available to them.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 20:54

SSC's should work better still.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 21:14

Ion Disruptor + flak for mass missile defense. It works magic.

Your other best option is to use the jump drive to zip around the sector. If that isn't satisfactory, you can use the Goner Quest award:
Spoiler
Show
Unfocused Jump Drive
to escape.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 21:33

Triaxx2 wrote:SSC's should work better still.
Yes, I forgot about those. :o Much better choice if you can get them. Trouble is those fabs disappear pretty darn quick. :cry:

Azincourt

Post by Azincourt » Sun, 19. Dec 10, 23:48

if you're using MARS have you tried fighter drones *Goblins*, IIRC they auto missile defend and seem to do the trick for me :-)
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 03:43

If all else fails, try a Deimos' with a PSG in each turret with a CIG or HEPT. Once a the first wave has blossomed, it's pretty much impossible for missiles to get through.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 23:47

Tempest Missiles.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Amduscas
x4

Post by Amduscas » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 23:58

I have my turrets loaded with EMPCs and starburst cannons, but they still fail pretty hard at missile defense. I haven't tried Goblins though, so I'll give that a go. Seems to me drones are pretty inconvenient since they don't last very long and then you have to load more into your cargo. Too bad they aren't more like EVE drones, eh.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 21. Dec 10, 00:23

Two tips: don't install mixed turreted weapons (they'll always move at the slowest rate & fire at the longest range of the weapon mix - a sort of 'self-nerf') & have you tried Mk 2 drones? Don't forget the 'Drone Attack..' commands
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 21. Dec 10, 01:26

Snafu_X3 wrote:Two tips: don't install mixed turreted weapons (they'll always move at the slowest rate & fire at the longest range of the weapon mix - a sort of 'self-nerf') & have you tried Mk 2 drones? Don't forget the 'Drone Attack..' commands
Mixed weapons work just fine with area weapons. The problem is that area weapons don't fire at their true range. They target with the central point of the blast. The trick is to mix them with weapons that have a higher max range. Turrets will fire all the weapons at the same time, giving an effective boost to the AoE firing range.

PSG works great with flak or HEPT. Ion Disruptors work great with flak or small weapons.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 21. Dec 10, 02:12

Oops - just noticed (after a long repy) that the OP was using MARS. Forget what I said! Scrap it! My apologies! :oops:
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”