X-Tension on Vista

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BLiTZWiNG
x2

X-Tension on Vista

Post by BLiTZWiNG » Sun, 28. Jun 09, 14:28

Can anyone tell me how to get X-Tension working on Vista?

I just get the message "Error opening video, check your display settings".

Any help would be appreciated.

Belgarath
x4

Post by Belgarath » Sun, 28. Jun 09, 14:34

Make sure that you set the program to use compatibility mode (Windows '98 ) and that you have the X-Beyond the Frontier CD in the drive (required to play the game).

I'm playing it on Windows 7, so it should also work in Vista.
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

BLiTZWiNG
x2

Post by BLiTZWiNG » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 00:12

Hmm.

I tried XP and 98 compat, the disc hasn't left my drive since last week (though it's the X-Tension/BTF disc, not the origianl BTF disc, which I also have).

Maybe Vista is missing media player or something like that. It's good to know it works in Windows 7 though, maybe there is a reason for me to downgrade to that awful new taskbar after all.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 01:45

BLiTZWiNG wrote:Hmm.

I tried XP and 98 compat, the disc hasn't left my drive since last week (though it's the X-Tension/BTF disc, not the origianl BTF disc, which I also have).

Maybe Vista is missing media player or something like that. It's good to know it works in Windows 7 though, maybe there is a reason for me to downgrade to that awful new taskbar after all.
I'm using the windows 7 RC and I've got to say its the first Windows version to impress me since Win95. Everythings faster (15% increase in X3:TC framerate for example), the OS is really stable, and although the taskbar is different, its really nice once you get used to it.

UAC is still awful though, I've disabled it, because I don't need to be treated like a moron while running applications. In my opinion they're just offloading responsibility for the awful security model in Windows to the end user, rather than fixing it. At least it can be disabled, so that's a good thing I guess..
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

mike2R
x3tc

Post by mike2R » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 12:06

Complete shot in the dark (just reminds me of a similar problem I had once): could it be trying to play an intro movie that it can't handle? (obsolete version of a format or something)

If so, can you find the into movie in the game directory? If so try renaming it - when I had problems with an intro movie crashing a game, renaming it so it couldn't find it caused it to just skip the intro and go straight on to the game.

Tonedude
x4

Re: X-Tension on Vista

Post by Tonedude » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 14:16

BLiTZWiNG wrote:Can anyone tell me how to get X-Tension working on Vista?

Any help would be appreciated.
I get the exact same error. The funny thing is X-BTF works briliantly but X-tension doesn't work at all.

I'm using Vista 32 as well, and I'm pretty sure I've tried everything to get it working with no success, including changing the compatibility modes.

It just doesn't work in Vista 32 bit!

Tony.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous - with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - A quote from Q of the Q continuum after spending some time playing the X series of games.

Belgarath
x4

Post by Belgarath » Mon, 29. Jun 09, 16:15

When I was playing XT on Vista, It worked with no problem. It may be that I had installed the Vista Codec Pack and that makes a difference. You could set a new restore point and try installing the codecs to see if that fixes the problem. The reason I say to create a restore point is if it doesn't work, you can restore back to the point before you installed.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/A ... 55586.html
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

BLiTZWiNG
x2

Post by BLiTZWiNG » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 11:03

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately still no go. I installed the codecs and I even renamed the movie files, then the whole movie folder, but still the same error.

SS_T
x3ap

Post by SS_T » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 20:53

I tried several times to get it working on vista 64 with all sorts of codecs and compatibilities and never got it too work :(
New XDownloads: http://xdownloads.co.uk

BLiTZWiNG
x2

Post by BLiTZWiNG » Thu, 9. Dec 10, 11:37

YAY!

Thankyou for the new patch Egosoft, I can now run X-Tension on Wndows 7 :)

(Yes, I've upgraded since I made this post).

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 9. Dec 10, 12:10

I'm glad it's working, but this thread is positively ancient!

Going south!
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”