Modified SETA script...might be impossible.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Markhor

Modified SETA script...might be impossible.

Post by Markhor » Mon, 24. May 10, 20:52

Well I got sort of a request/idea for a mod to SETA.
Make it faster. make it pure data, no visual
Meaning, shut off the display(stop rendering) and make it go faster, like says 20x instead of just 10x.

I see how data would overload the processor a bit but for now, this was just a random idea that popped into my head. Man I needa lay off the caffeine.

Doubting this is possible, but still, would be nice if it would. My graphics card I think is what limits SETA on my rig. Just cuz it renders slower, trying to actually speed everything up (and not even a single core is maxxed on processor. what gives? maxxed without SETA, plenty to spare with it on)...

confusion!
Go into the sand, and the dust, and the sky
Go now, there's no better plan, than to do or to die
Free me, pray to the fayth in the face of the light
Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight

Gripen
x4

Post by Gripen » Mon, 24. May 10, 22:02

Use seta in a empty sector?

Markhor

Post by Markhor » Wed, 26. May 10, 00:53

empty sector? there's empty sectors? =O

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Wed, 26. May 10, 00:58

Not possible would be a engine limitation I would think.

Also the graphics/gpu would most likely have no effect on the speed of seta. It would most likely be your cpu limiting it. So rendering nothing would have no or very little effect.

10x is already pushing most cpus (hence autopilot crashing/trails being miss calculated ect).

Edit:: Plus the game can only use one core so it would only ever max one out.

Sorenson
x3tc

Post by Sorenson » Wed, 26. May 10, 01:03

I've got a pretty dang beefy rig, though, so I'm interested in seeing just how far I can push SETA (would especially be nice for the long waits when I'm waiting for ships and equipment to be built). Didn't someone say that it's possible to get SETA cranked up all the way to 50x?
X3TC Naval Shuffle: My ships are fast; my shields are strong; and my guns are very, very large.

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Wed, 26. May 10, 01:08

At 10x its most likely still pushing your PC to the max. I too have a powerful rig but still notice at 10x the auto pilot failing more often trails being miss calculated and strange ai behaviour. None of which occurs at 1x speed or lower SETA value.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 26. May 10, 01:09

you can jack up the SETA limit in the custom game IIRC.

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Wed, 26. May 10, 01:17

CPU power really hasn't scaled that much per-core, and that's all you work with on X3.

When the game came there weren't actually any CPUs that could run it @ 10x without the script engine going into emergency mode, where it schedules everything non-essential into limbo.

Mine is oldish now, C2D E6600, but if this has issues for up to a couple of real-time minutes after coming out of SETA 10x, I doubt there's anything out there capable of keeping up with 50x, bar those liquid nitrogen 6GHz+ setups you find on xtremesystems ...
I am not as think as you drunk I am.

Nafensoriel
x4

Post by Nafensoriel » Wed, 26. May 10, 02:31

I highly doubt a 6ghz cpu could actually handle x3 to it's full potential. The game practically screams to be multi-threaded but sadly it wasn't a good business choice at the time and converting single thread to multi-thread is a pain in the arse. Hopefully TNBT will be capable of fully using todays monster CPU systems and crazy memory bandwidths :) (Read: It's egosoft.. it WILL push these hulks to the limit and we will be happy to see it happen)
"A Tradition is only as good as it's ability to change." Nael

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Wed, 26. May 10, 02:48

Nafensoriel wrote:I highly doubt a 6ghz cpu could actually handle x3 to it's full potential. The game practically screams to be multi-threaded but sadly it wasn't a good business choice at the time
Perfectly valid choice for X3R, and the TC engine is an iterative evolution thereof.

Engine rewrites are expensive ...
I am not as think as you drunk I am.

Stacy

Post by Stacy » Wed, 26. May 10, 04:34

You can make seta go 50x if you want.... However it depends how good your CPU is....

And its somewhat buggy.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Stacy

Post by Stacy » Wed, 26. May 10, 09:07

I never liked the idea of seta.... I prefeer fast booster speed in space games like instead of speeding up time you just accelerate the ship or use a speed ramps like freelancer.... its more realistic that way hehe.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Markhor

Post by Markhor » Thu, 27. May 10, 01:31

so 10x speed is as fast as the universe can normally/sanely/possibly go? oh well. thanks for that.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 27. May 10, 22:07

pretty much yes, althou 10x is already pushing it for most systems.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”