[TC] Is it possible to wipe out a race completely?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dbrowdy
x3tc

Is it possible to wipe out a race completely?

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:34

Pretty much what it says in the title. I'm thinking about long term goals and I wonder if it would work to just wipe out a race completely (all their stations and ships) and take over their space. Or do they respawn and/or have invincible ships/stations?

I think I'd be limiting myself when it comes to player-owned stations at that point, but I bet I could minimize the impact of that with some planning.

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:36

theyll respawn eventually, so in vanilla you cant :P.

lotm
x2

Post by lotm » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:41

i thought, only shipyards (snd fleets) respawn and the other stations are rebuilt regularly by TLs

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:43

Catra wrote:theyll respawn eventually, so in vanilla you cant :P.
What about pirate sectors?

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:47

dbrowdy wrote:
theyll respawn eventually, so in vanilla you cant.

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:49

Catra wrote:
dbrowdy wrote:
Well hmm. Maybe I'll have to take a cue from those "owning a Xenon sector" threads and plant absurd amounts of defenses in sector to take care of any respawns...

DaveyP
x3tc

Post by DaveyP » Mon, 17. May 10, 21:51

There's no such thing as too much firepower

RoadRunner12
x3tc

Post by RoadRunner12 » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:18

Catra wrote:
dbrowdy wrote:
I took out both Pirate bases in Gaian Star, and the pirate capital fleet that was holding it, and placed my HQ there. I have held it for ages in game time now without so much as a single station respawning or anything above a standard Blastclaw wing turning up to attack me. I don't even have a decent sized holding force in system, it's just a storage and building point for goods and ships.

As for too much firepower well, as the manual says: "If you think you can do the job with one ship...bring ten!" With this in mind I've spent most of my game so far building a rather large capital force (6 wings of 3 destroyers each and 2 carriers with 45 M3s in each) for when I decided to go on a rampage.

I was doing a test yesterday on a side-save (I want to start wiping races out too) and initiated an attack on some Boron sectors with a wing of just 3 destroyers and the results were quite amusing, if a little disappointing. Zero resistance from the locals, everything died as soon as it even looked at my wing. Even stations instapopped. It took less than 5 minutes to wipe out Kingdom End and Menaleus' Frontier entirely with only one wing, and most of that was waiting for them to fly to each station! Can you imagine would happen if I put the whole fleet into combat at once!?

It appears that the game simply cannot put up any resistance once you get past a certain point of empire development. I have not witnessed anything respawning yet, but then I haven't waited for any length of time after my rampage to see what happens. But, if the only resistance the game can put up after this is to respawn a couple of stations here and there, well ... :cry: / :lol:

My game is vanilla TC btw...

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:26

RoadRunner12 wrote:...pwnage...
LOL! That's awesome. I want to get to that stage, because I am not great at combat in this game. I'm going to put together some mega-plexes for money, a metric ****-ton of UT's (more money!), and then some military backbone plexes for building fittings...all through economic dominance. Once I have my overwhelming fleet up to snuff, I'm gonna try rampaging and see how it goes.

I hear M7M/M8 wings are great for wiping sectors clean too! :twisted:

RoadRunner12
x3tc

Post by RoadRunner12 » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:29

Yup, that's pretty much what I've done. TBH though, UTs don't make that much cash. You're far better off building self sustaining complexes in strategic areas that just churn out stuff that sells well. Microchips, Computer Components, Quantum Tubes, Cloth Rimes and Small Shields will all sell out as fast as you can build them if you put them in the correct locations. Just remember, once you start wiping out a race, you can then never buy any of their stuff so you are stuck with what you already have...

Never really got into the M7M/M8 missile thing.

BTW, make sure you do your capital engagements OOS. If you're IS when this is going on they seem to flid out and not be able to attack stuff properly.

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:41

RoadRunner12 wrote:Yup, that's pretty much what I've done. TBH though, UTs don't make that much cash. You're far better off building self sustaining complexes in strategic areas that just churn out stuff that sells well. Microchips, Computer Components, Quantum Tubes, Cloth Rimes and Small Shields will all sell out as fast as you can build them if you put them in the correct locations. Just remember, once you start wiping out a race, you can then never buy any of their stuff so you are stuck with what you already have...

Yeah I've found that I can't keep 1MJ shields in stock at all, they sell like CRAZY. I'll have to try the other ones you suggested and see how that goes.

I have a bunch of ST's set to 2-sector jumps in strategic areas and they make very good money. According to the white-sheet, they still use advanced algorithms to calculate best buy/sell within 2j. Anything more than that and they're just UT's on a leash. I thought UT's still made more because they can do weapons at range, but I guess they aren't all that smart. Maybe I'll work up more of those 2-jump ST's.

Re: missiles, I've been dogfighting without them on the theory that they're 1 - OP/boring and 2 - Expensive. But man, I loaded up my new M6 Skiron with Hornets, Wasps and Typhoons and they make some satisfying booms! Now that I have a little bit of an economic backbone going and can afford missiles, there's no reason not to use em as needed. The thought of ripping it up with an M7M is enticing....

RoadRunner12
x3tc

Post by RoadRunner12 » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:45

dbrowdy wrote:
RoadRunner12 wrote:Yup, that's pretty much what I've done. TBH though, UTs don't make that much cash. You're far better off building self sustaining complexes in strategic areas that just churn out stuff that sells well. Microchips, Computer Components, Quantum Tubes, Cloth Rimes and Small Shields will all sell out as fast as you can build them if you put them in the correct locations. Just remember, once you start wiping out a race, you can then never buy any of their stuff so you are stuck with what you already have...

Yeah I've found that I can't keep 1MJ shields in stock at all, they sell like CRAZY. I'll have to try the other ones you suggested and see how that goes.

I have a bunch of ST's set to 2-sector jumps in strategic areas and they make very good money. According to the white-sheet, they still use advanced algorithms to calculate best buy/sell within 2j. Anything more than that and they're just UT's on a leash. I thought UT's still made more because they can do weapons at range, but I guess they aren't all that smart. Maybe I'll work up more of those 2-jump ST's.

Re: missiles, I've been dogfighting without them on the theory that they're 1 - OP/boring and 2 - Expensive. But man, I loaded up my new M6 Skiron with Hornets, Wasps and Typhoons and they make some satisfying booms! Now that I have a little bit of an economic backbone going and can afford missiles, there's no reason not to use em as needed. The thought of ripping it up with an M7M is enticing....
I did use them quite a bit at the start, but once you get billions of credits floating around over multiple stations they don't seem to make that much cash anymore. I've just stuck all mine in Terran space and limited them to ST within their borders so I'm constantly (albeit slowly) gaining rep with them whilst I do other stuff.

Maybe it's just me, but I never could get the hang of missiles. With the odd exception of using hammerheads on my Hyperion at extreme range for taking down capitals' shields, I always end up killing myself! :oops:

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Mon, 17. May 10, 22:53

RoadRunner12 wrote:I did use them quite a bit at the start but once you get billions of credits floating around over multiple stations they don't seem to make that much. I've just stuck all mine in Terran space and limited them to ST within their borders so I'm constantly (albeit slowly) gaining rep with them.

Maybe it's just me, but I never could get the hang of missiles. With the odd exception of using hammerheads on my Hyperion at extreme range for taking down capitals' shields, I always end up killing myself! :oops:
Hmm, maybe I'm just better suited to missile combat than laser combat. It reminds me of the Ace Combat games...get in the right position and flying the right speed, then launch. Also use the right missile for the job (e.g. those 525m/s wasps work much better against M5's than the 250m/s ones I was using previously! wow! lol). Takes some experimenting, but works nicely once you're used to it. The first time I took out a Xenon P with ONE missile (fired three and two were still flying after the P went boom) I knew I made the right choice. :-D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”