Peace loving Borons ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

brattbags01
x3tc

Peace loving Borons ?

Post by brattbags01 » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 19:37

Don't think so, they attack and destroy any unarmed Duke's and Pirate freighters with manic glee and what about the Thresher and Ray, two serious battlewagons, the Ray can bring to bear 24 turrets if it wants on any forward target and the Thresher probably has the most powerfull main battery of any M7 :o
It seems to the Boron that size definatley does matter. :)

Edit: Come to think of it I can't understand how the Split managed to push the Boron back to Kingdom End and take over many Boron sectors being as Boron ships are superior to Split ships ?

X3Gimp

Re: Peace loving Borons ?

Post by X3Gimp » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 19:49

brattbags01 wrote:Edit: Come to think of it I can't understand how the Split managed to push the Boron back to Kingdom End and take over many Boron sectors being as Boron ships are superior to Split ships ?
The Borons kicked their ships up a notch in X3, thats why they were pushed out. I'm pretty sure now with their amazing ships they can kick Split Ass all the way back to "Family Zyarth" and defeat Cho again in "Cho's Defeat" :lol:

Thresher is my personal if I'm not in the Tyr/Titan/Colossus, mainly because I get to lay down the fire of 10 PPC's while maintaining a good speed.

Bigger IS better in this case :P
X3 Gimp.
Leader of the Argon War Service (AWS).
Working on weapon mods.

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 19:57

Ya i really like the Ray, it looks very cool and as i said it can, if it wants, bring 24 guns to beare on a target. :twisted:

Klo_Kla
x3ap

Post by Klo_Kla » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 20:23

brattbags01 wrote:Edit: Come to think of it I can't understand how the Split managed to push the Boron back to Kingdom End and take over many Boron sectors being as Boron ships are superior to Split ships ?
Split have better, crazier pilots :) Only insanely brave will fly mamba raider.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 21:00

ack I gotta disagree, having owned a Thresher and personally witnessed its seemingly awesome firepower I felt totally unimpressed.

If you toss those PPCs up front and try to go to town on someone you'll end up draining the Threshers puny power supply, leaving you open to attack while your defensive turrets wait for enough energy to fire back.

Not to mention the ungainly proportions of what seems to be the largest m7 in the game; those fins and ridiculous tail make for some difficult navigation.

However, the Borons do have some much better ships this go round! The Skate is a great ship and so is the Barracuda, but the Split have always had faster and better armed vessels and in TC this is still true.

Just look at the Mamba in comparison to the Barracuda! It's a tradeoff for sure in terms of sheilding for sure, but whenever I turn on the ol' RRF it seems like the Split always beat the Boron... perhaps it doesn't help that the Boron keep getting smoked by the Xenon as well.

I can't stand the look of the Boron ships either, to me they just seem odd, but then again most of the ships in TC look pretty "unique"

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 21:20

Better Firepower, don't think so, just look at the Python another one of my favorite ships but it's been totally nerfed, don't mind the 3 2gj shields but it's lack of left and right hardpoints and it's inability to load out Flack weaponry means it's at a serious disadvantage against other M2's and fighters. :?

Edit: Of course Boron ships look odd...they are after all an alien race :P

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 22:52

I think the thresher is one of the better looking ships for it's unique and aquatic look. The ray and shark are a little funky but they do match the boron shipyards and look more like ships that are grown rather than constructed.

To be honest I really don't see too much difference between the python and the ray. When both ships still move like slugs with enough weapons energy to destroy each other several times over, the performance is pretty much matched. Although I think in fleet actions the python looses out due to a lack of sufficient anti-air cover.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 23:15

brattbags01 wrote:Don't think so, they attack and destroy any unarmed Duke's and Pirate freighters with manic glee and what about the Thresher and Ray, two serious battlewagons
The Boron are peace-loving, but as you pointed out yourself, they have a bunch of guys nearby who don't like them and are not half so desirous of peace--so the Boron make sure they have the ability to defend themselves. It helps that they've been long-term friends with the Argon, and in X-BTF the Argon/Boron ships were the most powerful in the game--they seem to have slipped back somewhat in relative terms since then!

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 23:28

ashkrowe wrote:Not to mention the ungainly proportions of what seems to be the largest m7 in the game; those fins and ridiculous tail make for some difficult navigation.
Actually the panther is almost as bad as the model has a funky placement and it turns around the rear end rather than the center like most ships so collisions are pretty common in that as well.

The Boron ships do generally look better than the split ones, the ray, orca and shark are an acquired taste but most of them are pretty good. The split on the other hand seem to be keen on bad origami.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 5. Jul 10, 06:32

ha bad origami! :lol:

I kind of like the Split aesthetic, but they all do look a lil like paper cranes!

The Python I didn't find so bad in terms of handling, perhaps because I just loved having 32 wingmen...

Okay so maybe some of the Boron ships are worth using, but in terms of race vs race combat the Boron are just plain fools. I've watched as two Threshers chased a handful of scouts across a sector, spraying PPC fire everywhere, and getting smoked from behind by a single Tiger! I had to laugh!

Borons are not only an alien race, but an aqautic humaniod alien race...
...The. Worst. Kind.

??how do you use the word alien in proper context when speaking about a universe full of so-called aliens?? AHHHH! Brainfreeze! :P

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Mon, 5. Jul 10, 13:40

Boron Vs Split....mmmm

Well have to say the Boron M2 has to win over the Python hands down in almost every area...the Ray is an excellent M2, the Python is sadly cr*p

As for M1's... maybe to Raptor due to the increased hanger size...but there is not that much in it really, both are good M1's.

M7...well here i think the Split are at their best, the Threshers good but the Tigers better, Tiger is smaller, faster, more agile, better shields, better weapon and shield generators, and even though the Thresher can put x 10 PPC forward the tiger can do x 12 IBL.....which is x8 IBL main and + 4 more front firing capable IBL turrets which also allow it to continue to fire even on a broadside....both have good flak coverage.

and we have not even talked about the Panther .....probably the best all round capitol ship in the game.

M7M....deadlock both are very good

fighters are the real Achilles heal of the Boron IMO.....compared to the other races they are generally the weakest, Splits although not the very best, are above average....i.e. Mamba Vanguard, Mamba Sentinel and the Chimera are all excellent combat fighters + they can fit the PBE which is deadly.

so on balance i would say the Split have it......just!
Last edited by Sn4kemaster on Mon, 5. Jul 10, 15:54, edited 2 times in total.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 5. Jul 10, 14:00

Obviously, the Boron believe in peace through superior firepower.

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Mon, 5. Jul 10, 18:23

Triaxx2 wrote:Obviously, the Boron believe in peace through superior firepower.
:lol: :lol:

hydra_one
x3tc

Post by hydra_one » Mon, 5. Jul 10, 22:06

Sometimes when you get beaten back to your own homeworld by a hostile species, it convinces the beaten race that maybe big guns are quite necessary... (IE - The split had beaten Boron nearly into the stone age until the Boron applied for help from the Argon)

Thus, in the arms race, the Boron have been building better ships to defend themselves...have they gone too far? Only the peace activists would have something to say about that...stay tuned in the future for the next program

Whoa YA - BIG GUNS!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”