"I Got Collected" - Not quite another boarding story

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JoeVN09
x4

"I Got Collected" - Not quite another boarding story

Post by JoeVN09 » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 21:20

Hi all, I have an interesting story to relay so bear with me if you've heard it before.

It starts with what should be a routine boarding op -- One soon-to-be-missing Paranid military corvette, one PRG-equipped Nova Vanguard on shield suppression, and one Toucan dropship with 5 steel-willed, ice-veined marines... supposedly.

Two minor hitches. The first, the marine release pass goes less than smoothly and results in Nova Vanguard having a close encounter with the nasty end of six Ion Shard Railgun barrels. Bye bye, 58% hull. The second, one of my Teladi marines shows he's heavy on the spacewalking skillz and light on the courage, as he manages to find himself twiddling his cowardly thumb-claws floating by the north gate while his "buddiessss" are busy dying in the hostile bowels of an angry Heavy Nemesis.

Capture goes nicely enough, the less spinally-challenged members of my boarding crew take the ship intact, although they do incur a casualty which I'm sure could have been avoided had our scaly friend been there to cover his bastu. But now I have to do two things. As I'm completely broke I can't take Nova Vanguard to the shipyard and must get into my spacesuit to solder shut the Railgun holes in the fuselage myself. And I must also recall Toucan Dropship to pick up the soon-to-be-oxygen-deprived surrender lizard. Cue Collect all astronauts command... You see where this is going?

I'm nearly done with my beleaguered Nova when Toucan sneaks up behind, a Dropship on a mission, hell-bent on collecting every astronaut in sight. *Clang*, Toucan smashes me from behind; I go careening into my not-quite-fixed Nova; Toucan's momentum brings it on top of the pile-up and man, fighter and freighter all explode. Game Over.

Did I save? Like Hell.
Well, I hope that was entertaining for you all. You may now laugh in derision. :P
~ Experienced X3 veteran. Dangerously incompetent X4 novice. ~

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 21:47

That is quite possibly the single most embarrasing way to die in X. Why have I never died in such an amusing manner? I wanna go! :D As for the derisive laugh(all together now!): :fg: :fg: :fg: :fg: :fg: :fg: :fg: :fg: :fg:

That's made my day.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 21:55

... Oh man...

I best make sure my neighbours don't call the police for the "suspicion incoherent laughter-like screaming"...

Sorry but seriously, that's hilarious.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 22:03

The most embarrassing way I have died was as posted in thread a while ago:
You know how sometimes you get a live bug on your windscreen just held there by wind pressure?

I was repairing a capped ship in my suit when a friendly Teladi M2 decided to steam through the area at about 40 m/s. It destroyed both my ship and the capture but my suit survived. Unfortunately my suit was lodged in some projections on the nose of the M2 and did not have the speed to disengage, even with strafe. The M2 dawdled across the sector with myself as a windscreen bug. It was reload or suffocate.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 22:12

My most embarrasing death? Targetting one of my own ships, and somehow managing to hit 'Ctrl' and 'x' at the same time.

I wanted to transfer from my Panther to one of my ships to chase down an M3 in my good old Nova Raider. But I'd been firing my own front turret, and was still in turret mode. And by hitting both buttons I imultaneously transferred myself to the Nova Raider, then hit it with 6 IBLs... with me in it. :headbang:

What a suicide!
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Thermo18

Post by Thermo18 » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 22:42

Yes it was a great story.

Kinda like my first Xenon Cap, it was just an L but I was happy. Already went outside and repaired it from 38% to full. When another L comes along and launches a missle at it and destroys it right in front of me.
If you see a Hamm Corporation vessel, you won't live to tell your friends about it.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 2. Jan 10, 23:42

Can't beat a good laugh at the end of the day.

I usually forget the asteroids when engaged in micromanagement or something bigger than me comes through the gate at the same time and I end up inside my ship and inside the other ship.Only once managed to shake myself loose ,but very little hull integrity left.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sun, 3. Jan 10, 15:03

As TTD said, you can't beat a good laugh. It's still early here tho...

I don't have any particularly embarrasing deaths to share, apart from impaling my ship on those antenna-thingys sticking out of the K three times in one day. Just glad it wasn't a DiD :p
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”