[Mod/Patch] X3-Unleashed [RC2] [Aug-06-2010] - X3 Performance gains up to 38%

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Nephtys

Post by Nephtys » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 14:19

Jaga_Telesin wrote:I don't think IR has it's own Jobs file, so it should be compatible. However, be forewarned at the large number of ships IR will add to your game. Unleashed can only do so much to offset them, after which your performance will still be worse than Vanilla TC. :D
if you just take the primary ImprovedRaces_Script it works fine.

I have around +1500 ships because of improved Races... but who cares?

if you use Unleashed the result isn´t a much higher ship count than vanilla. but it is much more fun!
[ external image ]
Fear the drones!

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 18:35

Unleashed (even using the +Civs version) removes almost 5000 flights from vanilla X3:TC. If Improved Races is only adding in 1,500, you're still under vanilla. I don't think that is the case however - the last time I messed with IR it added 5,000 or more flights to my game. I'm not certain where it stands now, since I gave up on using it due to performance issues.

If that all still holds true, then Unleashed can directly offset the added IR ships and keep performance at Vanilla levels. I do know games using IR *need* the help with performance, and Unleashed is the best first option there. :D

Not using Unleashed and still using IR means your shipcount goes from 11,400 to 16,400 (roughly), which would drop performance by around 30-40% if not more. I haven't done the math, but the test curve supports this.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 19:47

I'm not using IR anymore either due to performance issues, and the seemingly broken ATF assault fleets which kept spawning unknown objects, along with a seemingly now broken economy improver which had race TL's building stations by the handful and not stopping, also bad placements. I'm going to look back into the other two invasion type scripts, RRF and Military response bases... one thing I really liked about IR was it's option for taking over sectors. I just hope RRF doesn't cause the issue I ran into a lot when I used to have it in game which was game hanging due to ships jumping in.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 19:52

I've been using RRF for a while without incident - the biggest thing is the idle ships (which LV is fixing). Performance impact is negligible, and it does allow sector takeovers (the reason I got it in the first place).

I had always hoped IR would clean up a bit and cater to performance minded individuals, since it does have a lot of nice features. But for now you have to have a beast of a computer to run with it.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 19:54

Jaga_Telesin wrote:I've been using RRF for a while without incident - the biggest thing is the idle ships (which LV is fixing). Performance impact is negligible, and it does allow sector takeovers (the reason I got it in the first place).

I had always hoped IR would clean up a bit and cater to performance minded individuals, since it does have a lot of nice features. But for now you have to have a beast of a computer to run with it.
Does it allow for players to take over sectors is what I was getting at :P and also getting a tax incentive from other stations and tax from planets

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 20:02

As of RRF 1.8:
Claim Sector (Player)

To claim sector it must be clear of stations of the original owner race and have either an EQD or Trade Dock owned by the player deployed

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 20:09

oh cool, I missed that I guess :lol:

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 08:29

Hmmm.... I noticed a HUGE increase in FPS lol damn... since I don't have IR anymore, I opted to use RRF again.

I also have 3 mods installed that are suppose to improve frame rate as well... the Cmod, Improved Combat framerate mod and SS_T's shader performance mod. I was told these three conflict because they do the exact same thing. Now if this is true... which one should I not use. I've never had crash issues when having all of these installed.

Btw, running cycles in the script editor states I'm running around 8k, heck of a lot better compared to having IR installed which made it run at around 13k or so

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 17:20

With PG + YA + ADS and an small personal empire (4 or 5 big complexes, several SPP across the map, around 10 military outposts and a large military fleet). After around 4 or 5 game days. I'm around 6700 tasks with some peaks around 7k when major battles occur between PG+YA and my own security forces.

The game is running fine, the FPS increase is very noticeable without using a FPS counter. I've looked around the map for "dead" sectors with depleted factories, very few of them, it's as good, if not better than the vanilla job file on that matter. Increasing default freighter speed was indeed a good idea.

Another funny side effect is that PG bases gain more money because the freighters they target carry more goods, and it uses even less cpu cycles while browsing those for a potential target.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Idea
x4

Post by Idea » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 17:38

Requiemfang wrote: I also have 3 mods installed that are suppose to improve frame rate as well... the Cmod, Improved Combat framerate mod and SS_T's shader performance mod. I was told these three conflict because they do the exact same thing. Now if this is true... which one should I not use. I've never had crash issues when having all of these installed.
My advice is to use Cmod only.The Improved Combat framerate mod and SS_T's shader performance mod were OK when TC was in it's begining faze but from patch 2.0 they improve rendering performance.SS_T's shader performance are shraders from X3R.I did a test where I would use SS_T's shader performance and clear TC patched to 2.7.1.The frame rate is beter without SS_T's shader performance mod.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 18:05

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's all great to hear. :D

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 19:03

hrm,
i cant help but feel like this is somehow interfering with what Military Base Revamp does.

ive now set it(MBR, that is) to about ~6X what i normally was capable of.

and im still not seeing any sign of lag, or any action from the xenon or any of the races ive set to fight eachother.

if theyre actually fighting, i just really feel like i should be lagging abit, since im also using OOS rebalance(and by extension, MARS, which adds a truckload of drones to the universe).

iunno, maybe just having TC run smoothly for the first time since 1.4 is just throwing me off. ;)

gonna try to squeeze in an hour of playtime and report back(maybe even turn on messages so i see whats going on in the universe :P ).

also, question:
say im using Cmod, but wanted civilians back,
would the alternate unleashed cat/dat bring them back?

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 20:00

Idea wrote:
Requiemfang wrote: I also have 3 mods installed that are suppose to improve frame rate as well... the Cmod, Improved Combat framerate mod and SS_T's shader performance mod. I was told these three conflict because they do the exact same thing. Now if this is true... which one should I not use. I've never had crash issues when having all of these installed.
My advice is to use Cmod only.The Improved Combat framerate mod and SS_T's shader performance mod were OK when TC was in it's begining faze but from patch 2.0 they improve rendering performance.SS_T's shader performance are shraders from X3R.I did a test where I would use SS_T's shader performance and clear TC patched to 2.7.1.The frame rate is beter without SS_T's shader performance mod.
Thank you for the feedback on this, I had a feeling I should remove the other two and keep Cmod

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Thu, 12. Aug 10, 10:21

Catra wrote:also, question:
say im using Cmod, but wanted civilians back,
would the alternate unleashed cat/dat bring them back?
The alternate Unleashed cat/dat would, yes.

And I highly doubt it interferes with MBR, unless MBR has it's own Jobs/Wings files that it requires for use. I haven't looked into that package personally.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Wed, 18. Aug 10, 07:58

Small Update:

Having had some time to play through a real game with Unleashed's modified flights, I am of the firm opinion that part of the reason the Terran economy fails is due to traffic congestion. There *are* Terran traders that traffic in their different wares, and they *are* actively flying in their space. But due to the huge number of Vanilla-based flights in their space traveling through gates (traders, military, etc), there is constant backup and queueing for gate travel. Kudos to vkerinav for cluing me into this - I can confirm it is happening in even a Vanilla TC game and needs to be addressed. What that does is force traders to queue up outside gate space, sometimes for 10+ minutes while military forces or other traders try to fly through. It took me 5-10 minutes personally on more than one occasion with the autopilot running.

The next changes to the mod (that will be included in the v1 release package) will have changes to Terran military and traders. That includes wings for their military, which further complicate the issue. I will be attempting to keep their power curve while reducing total flights, and the amount of wandering through gates they perform. Additionally, they will have their number of traders re-reduced to assist with traffic control, while their tunings will remain high. Additionally, race military levels in sectors with Military Bases needs to be adjusted, due to the high number of flights there that drop FPS regularly (sometimes to a slideshow).

I have yet to check Aldrin space (haven't hit the quests in my game for it yet), so if anyone has feedback on RC2 and Aldrin economy, I'd love to hear it.

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Wed, 18. Aug 10, 16:27

Looking forward to your next update, love your mod. Keep up the good work.

Mak

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Thu, 19. Aug 10, 14:56

If you are extremely busy I can do side by side testing, just so you have another point of reference. I can cut out / reduce the number of Terran military / weapons traders and see if it helps the vanilla economy any. I'd let you know what jobs entries I cut out / reduced of course.

It wasn't apparent in the TRP thread, but Ive been impressed with your methodology with this Mod, and its one of the only performance mods Ive ever considered using personally.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Thu, 19. Aug 10, 19:08

Thank you. :)

Busy yes, mostly with trying to find enough time to relax and actually play my game, as opposed to constantly tinkering and balancing the mod. Testing is always difficult due to the time needed for each run - a new vanilla game has to be setup and use the latest copy of the mod, and run with no more than SETA 2x for a very long time before results are observed.

If there are people out there with spare machine time who are willing to help test new versions in games with only Unleashed installed that run purely on SETA for extended durations, I'd love to get the help.

vkerinav
x3ap

Post by vkerinav » Tue, 24. Aug 10, 17:51

I admit that while I was doing my own Jobs updating, I didn't play much X3, and haven't for a few months, but I recently started a new game with the Unleashed version of my SRM Jobs. Everything works great.

Now that I've updated the Xtra Jobs version for Cadius' latest release, users of his mod have an Unleashed version of available as well.

I've been contemplating a vanilla release, as well. It wouldn't take much, just reworking a few entries to remove the new ships.

jaws104
x2

Post by jaws104 » Thu, 26. Aug 10, 19:02

I'm confused by the SRM Compatible Version. It doesn't have any cat or dat files. Do i need to install unleashed and then put the SRM version jobs files in 'types' folder?

Or does SRM version not need cat/dat files...

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”