2 Questions - Mobile Drilling and Piracy

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sven76

2 Questions - Mobile Drilling and Piracy

Post by sven76 » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 12:43

I have 2 quick questions, firstly I'm trying to do some mobile drilling; I bought the Mobile Drilling system and an Ore collector, both are installed in my Mercury Hauler, I also have a Mercury to help out with the collection. The only problem is I don't know how to actually use the mobile drilling system. I installed it in the turret slot, but I don't know how to fire it; as far as I know you can't manually fire turrets.

The second question is what are the odds of a pilot ejecting from their ship, and what affects this? I'm trying to do some pirating in an M4, I was hoping to steal other M4s or M5s but I haven't had anyone eject, they always fight to the death. I have sometimes had the option to tell them to drop their freight, and sometimes they do drop something but I don't know if its everything they're carrying or not. I looked at the guide, which I'm half following, I don't have an M3 to pirate in and I'm using PACs, but I do try stripping the shields and then slowly damaging the hull, but they dont eject.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 12:48

Press F1 until you are in the rear turret then aim and fire the turret weapon (press F1 again to cycle back through views to front again to move the ship).

The bailing odds are random with a bias applied according to the morale of the pilot. Morale varies with race and with plot/mission-related ships. It is anecdotal that there is a greater likelihood of a bail if you keep a sustained light fire on the target than if you only fire and hit it now and again - same is said to apply if you strip its shields quickly rather than slowly. Moral of the story, just keep trying!
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 19. Aug 09, 12:55, edited 2 times in total.

AleksMain
x3tc

Re: 2 Questions - Mobile Drilling and Piracy

Post by AleksMain » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 12:53

sven76 wrote:The second question is what are the odds of a pilot ejecting from their ship, and what affects this? I'm trying to do some pirating in an M4, I was hoping to steal other M4s or M5s but I haven't had anyone eject, they always fight to the death. I have sometimes had the option to tell them to drop their freight, and sometimes they do drop something but I don't know if its everything they're carrying or not. I looked at the guide, which I'm half following, I don't have an M3 to pirate in and I'm using PACs, but I do try stripping the shields and then slowly damaging the hull, but they dont eject.
This is random event.

More shots - more hits and possibility to bail out enemy pilot.
Also hull must be damaged to 83% at least (pilot will not bail untill the ship's hull falls to less than 83%).
I prefer to open such fire at enemy, that only option to him - to say that he will surrender.

In other case I try to cap other one.
sven76 wrote:I'm trying to do some mobile drilling; I bought the Mobile Drilling system and an Ore collector, both are installed in my Mercury Hauler, I also have a Mercury to help out with the collection. The only problem is I don't know how to actually use the mobile drilling system. I installed it in the turret slot, but I don't know how to fire it; as far as I know you can't manually fire turrets.
Here instructions (about mobile mining) :
[X3R] Bunny's mobile mining guide (2/5/2007)

P.S. About F1 keypress to manually fire turret you can read at previous post.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Wed, 19. Aug 09, 15:18

Mobile Mining has changed for the better from X3R to X3TC. You don't even need (or usually want) a mobile drilling system installed on your miner. Just buy an IRE or PAC and shoot the smaller rocks. They'll split into collectable ore. Just drive over the shiney, metallic looking rocks. You don't even need to drop your shields anymore, which is good because sometimes it's hard to tell the ore from the debris!

It's very fun to do your own mining, but eventually you'll have enough money to have one or more freighters standing by to do half the work for you. Buy a light fighter, shoot asteroids for about 5 or 10 minutes, install the Special Command Software on a freighter, send it a command to collect all the ore in the sector, and then you leave the sector to let it do its work as fast as possible. I've practically filled a superfreighter with silicon doing this, which is great, and it's not so much money that the game becomes unbalanced. It still takes a while to make any amount of money from the whole ordeal, but at least its now an easy and fun way to make some pocket change for your empire!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”