Is there any tutorials to learn how to play?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cowlynz
x3

Is there any tutorials to learn how to play?

Post by cowlynz » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 05:22

How do you play this game X3 Reunion? I have not played any previous versions, and find it difficult to know what to do.

:) :? 8)
Stardate:9.15.2009.;
I thank everyone for their input. I will check you what has been supplied, The links, the walk through, and yes the manual (which should take me around 2 months to read thru.) :lol:

See y'all around the Galaxy.
Last edited by cowlynz on Tue, 15. Sep 09, 20:12, edited 2 times in total.

Luckshot
x3tc

Post by Luckshot » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 07:07

First of all: wrong forum ;)
Concerning how to play: Read the Manual if you're a newcomer, then familiarize yourself with the controls and change them to your linking if you wish.
And the first one or two missions are also quite helpful to get to know the basics.
The rest of the game is quite open ended, in essence, you decide your own goals... trade - fight - build - THINK

cowlynz
x3

Post by cowlynz » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 17:49

Thanks Luckyshot, But there is no manual of whitch you speak of. This was bought new, there is no manual, the read-me files are useless as they refer to only the applied updates. Looks like I made a bad decision on a bad game.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 20:15

Hey,
cowlynz wrote:But there is no manual of whitch you speak of.
You can download the complete updated manual as pdf-file at the download-section of the main page (see link).
cowlynz wrote:Looks like I made a bad decision on a bad game.
It was neither a bad decision nor is it a bad game. But you will need some time to find your way in the X-Universe. ;)
Check also the different tutorials and useful threads, which are linked in the The Ultimate X resource and guides list.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 20:27

first of all: when I first played an X-game (it was a DEMO of BTF) I didn't understood it either, so it got boring very early.
but now I think it's one of the best single-player games I've ever played :D
get in touch with the controls (try arround) then you got a good point. then ... what do I know; start trading (buy goods and sell them elsewhere) or haunt pirates (and sell the ships you get),... there are so many ways to play, that's what I love ;)

Shadow
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

lothos
x3tc

Post by lothos » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 20:29

welcome...check out the newbie guides in the other areas and stickies.

I struggled myself a few times before coming back 6 months after my purchase to finally learn to play.

In the simplest of terms, this is my newbie direction:
1. Explore the map starting with the sectors neighboring argon prime.
2. do the initial patrol for the story ( if applicable) and then put it on hold until you're ready by not talking to the guy at the goner temple.
3. learn to give remote trade commands and start trading e-cells to the mines and silicon to the satelite factories to get your feet wet in trading.
4. establish a few sector traders in argon space and the neigherborhood to get an income established
5. progress SLOWLY.

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 21:31

with X3 Reunion i would say play the main plot as it will tell you what to do along the way.. that is how i got the basics of X3 ( also play those silly training missions, they do help ).

as for the whole bad game thing.. well X3 has alot to offer if you have a day or 2 to learn, combat, well thats easy.. big ships and big guns means you win also its a combo fps and rts style game play, trade... not so easy at the start of it all, think missions.. can i do that in the time they ask, build.. well i need to earn some money before i can do them :)
Gaming PC
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V - CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
HSF - Corsair H100 - GFX - GTX-470
Memory - 8gig Corsair Vengence Black DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Monitor - BenQ 2400HD 24"
Case - CM Storm Stryker

nogwart

Post by nogwart » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 21:47

I am a brand new X3 player also, and I can definitely understand the original posters feelings. I purchased X3:Reunion a few days ago, installed, attempted a new game, and was/am completely baffled. My first reaction was anger for the lack of a user-friendly tutorial. But, I'm not giving up on it yet, as I've learned over time that nearly every game I've found confusing or too-complicated initially has proven to be extremely rewarding once past the learning curve (Rainbow 6 comes to mind).

So, while right now I have no idea how to do anything besides fire my weapon, I'll be digging into every tutorial I can find until I "get it".

Super_Bob
x3tc

Post by Super_Bob » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 22:04

nogwart and cowlynz, both of you are in the normal newbie 'frustrated' step, sadly there is no 'all in one' easy guide, as you get to the later stages you'll realise why this is actually quite hard to do but for now you need to set asside those normal frustration feelings you get with a computer game in the first 20 mins when you cant get the controls and non of it makes sense, because you are going to be having that for about the first 5 hours.

Thats quite a clanger there to drop that for 5 hours or so you are going to be annoyed, lost, frustrated and will have to restart 5, 10, 15 times HOWEVER I'm telling you this not to scare you off but to give you a goal to aim for, after 5 hours you will start to grasp the basics, you will master a bit of combat and a bit of trading. Its not going to seem like much but it will stop you from having to restart as much and you'll probably start feeling like you are making a bit of progress.

After this time you will then start to learn the bigger stuff, the stuff that really makes the game come alive and what has us hooked even at the 200 hour mark! You'll probably have traded up ship wise and you'll start feeling more confident in fights, use this time to learn and experiment with the more advanced stuff you can do, the guides in the stickys etc will start to make sense at this point and you'll be able to start setting yourself goals of what you want to try to do and achive in the game. You will also by this time have more of an idea of what type of player you are, this broadly ends up being something along the lines of fighter/builder/trader but can be a variety of different styles and a mix of any or all of it.

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 22:29

the best thing about X3 is that when you learn the game it will seem easy.. maybe to easy at times which is why some turn to mods and scripts to find there balance and others turn to things in game that others would not dream of.. like using the weakest races ships etc...

this game really does have total freedom with its plots and sub plots and well with what you want to do ( but the xenon re-spawn time is a little gay when clearing out those sectors - X3:TC only mind you )
Gaming PC
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V - CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
HSF - Corsair H100 - GFX - GTX-470
Memory - 8gig Corsair Vengence Black DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Monitor - BenQ 2400HD 24"
Case - CM Storm Stryker

Sp@c3Ch!mp
x3tc

Post by Sp@c3Ch!mp » Mon, 14. Sep 09, 22:44

the thing you are feeling with X3 is what I was feeling with X2...
What the hell am I supposed to do???
I felt so alone and retried on many occasions. When I came to this forum I had found a bit of guidance.
Try and try again. Eventually you will find a game which has a lot to offer.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 15. Sep 09, 00:28

First off...WELCOME

The X-series of games is considered a sandbox.

Approach it with a view to try things out.If doesn't work out,learn from it and try something different.Save,save,save.To start with you can only save at stations,but later you can save at any point,once you have the required items.But if you save BEFORE you try something,then you can reload.

If you get really good at the game,you can try playing DID (Dead Is Dead),where your game only lasts until you are blown out of space.

But if you start the game as a trader,and work your way through the plot,you will gradually learn the skills needed to play one game for months on end.

Once you have completed the plot,you are pretty well established in the Universe...ready to make your mark and expand your empire.

Or you can come over to X3TC to continue the game as a different pilot and maybe even build Terran Stations etc. TC story-line continues where X3R left off.BUT it is a different game in many ways,with easier methods of play.

Yes, download the manual AND apricotslice's Handbook.(version 4 includes TC guides as well).

If you get stuck,check the FAQs and search,and if you're still stuck,come back to this forum and ask.(x-Universe for general X related gameplay and X3 Terran Conflict -Spoilers for anything special in TC)

cowlynz
x3

Thanks for Everyones input!

Post by cowlynz » Tue, 15. Sep 09, 04:06

Still confused, But I will look @ the all the links provided, and thanks for the generous information you've all supplied 8)

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Tue, 15. Sep 09, 05:33

ALso, read some of the DiD game stories (like Nuclear Slug's). Most are for TC, but many give info for both (or that can be used for both).

Also, stay away from XTM for now. Once you feel comfortable, it is a good thing, but at the start......
-- GD

The Nightmare

Post by The Nightmare » Tue, 15. Sep 09, 11:12

for fights i suggest the simulator and for other things comm the information station when you dock on a station

freddiel
x3tc

Post by freddiel » Tue, 15. Sep 09, 11:30

@ cowlynz and nogwart.

Again, welcome to the forum guys.

For experienced X gamers, one of the greatest assets these games have is the fact that they are sandbox and not linear in any way.

For newcomers to the X series this could also be the games achilles heel, because the scope seems massive it is very difficult to know where to start, what to do.

There is help in abundance on the forums, and people will always try to offer you solutions as you can see above.

Whilst well meaning, this can also be a little confusing because there are so many different approaches to the game that a hundred people could give you different answers.

So I will ask what is it you wish to do initially?
Do you wish to be a trader? a fighter? a combination of both? or do you have other ideas?

If you respond to this, then maybe we can offer some guidlines to set you off on the right path.

Please don't give up on the game, take it in small bite size chunks then ask more questions.

Best of luck. :)
X3 TC 3.2
Bringing peace to the Commonwealth with overwhelming fire power.

Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

Mortis494
x3tc

Post by Mortis494 » Tue, 15. Sep 09, 17:47

I second this post - I'm a old salt with X but still find new inspiration and ideas from other posts people list, especially the DiD stories.

Nuklear Slugs tales are an excellent guide to what can be done from a humble start and offer lots of techniques, ideas and make agreat read.

Check the stickies!
Wanton Nukes and the Path to Galactic Conquest - Pilot of the 'Last Resort'
Who needs Facebook? We've got the X-Universe Forum :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”