X-SUPERBOX: What is this all about and what should it contain?

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Deleted User

X-SUPERBOX: What is this all about and what should it contain?

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 12:37

Hello X-Space-pilots!

As you may have noticed EGOSOFT is planning to release a Superbox containing all the X-series titles along with lots of content made by fans of the series. Before I start listing all the content we'd like to see in this box, let me describe the purpose of the box and why we thought it was a good idea to publish it.

First of all I should explain that "Superbox" is more of a working title for this unofficial project than a fixed name. We haven't decided yet what name we will give it; as soon as we have made a decision you will be the first to know!

As you probably know, the 10-year story of the X-series came to a conclusion with X3: Terran Conflict. Over the years many fans of the series have come to these forums and many are still here in the community. They are sure to remember the humble beginnings of this story with Kyle William Brennan and his ship, the X-perimental. In X-Beyond the Frontier he lost contact with Earth as a result of a terrible accident involving his jumpdrive and had to fight against massive threats. In X-Tension he recovered a lost prototype ship belonging to the Paranid. In X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion his son, Julian Brennan, followed his footsteps and fought against more dangerous threats than his father could have ever done. In doing so he rescued millions of people in Omicron Lyrae and even made it possible to reconnect the X-Universe with the Sol system. In X3: Terran Conflict you had to maintain peace while the Kha'ak and the Xenon, the descendants of the Terraformers, continued to threaten not only the people of the X-Universe, but also the humans of the Sol system and of course you! This was the only way to grant both sides a peaceful future together.

All the games mentioned above will be in this special box, that much is for sure! But the games of the X-series also motivated many people to create expansions, write scripts, fan-fiction and many other things. To make this superbox worthy of the name, we are calling upon our trusted community to make suggestions of possible fan-made content to go into the box. The potential variety of the content is huge, so don't be hesitant when making your suggestions. This box shouldn't just be something from EGOSOFT for fans, but by fans for fans. You wrote many useful guides, tutorials and HowTo's that we'd also like to add to the content of the superbox. Tell us what you want to see in this box and we'll do our best to add it.

To keep an overview of the collected content we've decided to separate this request into five threads. The content we want is so huge that it would be easy to lose track if we collected it all in one thread.

So, we are separating the subject areas into the following categories:
  • Creative Universe

Here we are collecting:
    • Fan-fiction
      Wallpapers
      Music
    Regarding music titles, these must be fan-made rather than commercially released tracks that require licensing, and must also not already have been used in any of the games. Wallpapers should have X as a theme and not your favourite cars; the same goes for fan-fiction. Since we know your creativity knows no limits, anything not listed here is also allowed as long as it relates to X.
  • X-Universe

Here we are going to collect:
    • Tutorials, Guides, Tips, Tricks, HowTo's
      Sector maps
      Savegames
      Screenshots (i.e. as loadscreens)

We will look through all of this content and decide which to put into the box. We ask you to always post a link to the content you want us to include so that we don't have to spend too much time searching for it.
  • X3: Terran Conflict - Scripts & Modding Forum

Here we will collect the following things:
    • Scripts
      Mods
      Scripting and Modding tutorials
      AL-Plug-ins
      MD-Missions
      MD-Tutorials
      Plug-ins & Tools
      Ships (need to be installable with Cycrow's Ship Installer)
    Please note that any scripts you suggest need to have an interface, so that they don't need to be executed via the Script Editor.
  • X3: Reunion - Scripts & Modding Forum

Here we are collecting:
    • Scripts
      Mods
      AL-Plug-ins
      MD-Missions
      MD-Tutorials
      Plug-ins & Tools
      Ships (need to be installable with Cycrow's Ship Installer)
    Please note that any scripts you suggest need to have an interface, so that they don't need to be executed via the Script Editor.
  • X2: The Threat - Scripts & Modding Forum

Here we will collect:
    • Scripts
      Mods
      Plug-ins & Tools
      AL-Plug-ins
As you can see the box is turning into a really big project. EGOSOFT isn't just going to ask you for content, but will also be adding its own materials that will definitely throw you out of your pilot's seat! We want this superbox to be as big as possible so we are asking for your help in collecting good, helpful materials, and are looking forward to your suggestions.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon, 17. May 10, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 13:26

Hm. I did some artwork for the X-Tended Mod about half a year ago. Is it also possible to include that?
http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=12842

SOTS
x3

Post by SOTS » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 13:51

For the Creative Universe section, I really must recommend gsheriston's Best Served Cold, and The Zig's Terraformer Dreams. These stories are two of the best I've read, ever, let alone on the CU forum. BSC isn't yet complete, however.

In terms of wallpapers, any of the X-related images on Aken_Bosch's DeviantArt page get my vote.

When I can dig up the links, I found some great X3:R station and trade guides on the X-Universe forum, so I'll post those too.

Note to the authors of the above links: I hope you don't mind my posting them here without checking first! :P

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 19:35

SOTS wrote:...

Note to the authors of the above links: I hope you don't mind my posting them here without checking first! :P
No need to be worried as we ask the authors for their permissions to use their materials.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 22:52

I posted this question in wrong forum, so I deleted it and posted here instead :oops:

Would the book "Farnhams Legend" be something you would include
or would there be a rights problem ?

gsheriston
x3tc

Post by gsheriston » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 23:50

SOTS wrote:Note to the authors of the above links: I hope you don't mind my posting them here without checking first! :P
I would be honoured to have Best Served Cold included - honoured even to have been nominated! Thank you, SOTS. Quite an incentive to finish the story... D'you think Siege could be finished in time?

SOTS
x3

Post by SOTS » Thu, 23. Jul 09, 23:55

You're really quite welcome :)

Also, AHAHAHAHAHA. Ahem. Yes, it probably will be finished in time. Maybe. But I am simply too embarrassed by the early chapters (mostly poor characterisation, they all read like the same person to me) for me to comfortably give permission for it to be included.

I don't know, if I have time to have a major overhaul of everything, then maybe. And a reformat. And hell, maybe a professional writer to write it for me, who knows.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 24. Jul 09, 01:26

A hearty second to Zig's Terraformer Dreams. Siege would do quite nicely too. COUGH. :P

Also (kick me for putting this here) but Squiddy McSquid's Possibly Short Life and Zen and the Art of Running Away must be included, without a doubt. And depending on Leo Kayean's life expectancy, Wanton Use of Nukes could make an appearance as well...

I'd suggest the X3 Factional RP but that would require locating and re-enslaving Admiral Jeran Korak, which could be difficult...

And Von Neumann's Children is unfortunately a long way off. :(

Glad to hear about the Superbox! I'll totally get it just so I can say I have it. :P That and I've not touched XBTF or XTension, both of which sound quite entertaining.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 28. Jul 09, 22:03

brucewarren wrote:Would the book "Farnhams Legend" be something you would include or would there be a rights problem ?
It's been given away with previous versions, so I expect not. I've already got three copies though, so I'm not sure I'd need another one. ;)

I'd quite like a copy of the Dominion/Testament book, but that's probably a big ask for the superbox. Both stories, and sequels should be on the disk though. Hint, hint.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

The Zig
x3tc

Post by The Zig » Sun, 2. Aug 09, 15:21

Wow. Cool idea.

It would be good to see Crunn's Dark Haven in it again. This was originally on the disk of X2 (there were a few stories tucked away on there) - that was the story that brought me here.
(Sadly Dark Haven 2 seemed to stall a few chapters in).
The story that intorduced the Yaki with Moon-Kye is good too.

Annoyingly lot of the other stories I'd really like to see on there are still unfinished. (You know who you are! :P )

And if Egosoft has a sense of humour, it cannot exclude the amazing X2 The Spoof.

PegasusJF
x3tc

Post by PegasusJF » Mon, 3. Aug 09, 20:41

I would definitely consider editing and adding some of the better player stories (NUKLEAR-SLUG's being prime examples) from the forums to include into the creative works in this game.

the4ce

Post by the4ce » Thu, 27. Aug 09, 21:59

metalvenom
x4

Post by metalvenom » Sat, 19. Sep 09, 14:35

very nice set of screens dude :)

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Mon, 21. Sep 09, 13:58

I finally decided to tackle for a short time the sensitive subject of outer space-related poetry...
I therefore submit for the X-Superbox my poem for the X Universe and the love poem from an aquatic planet.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

avanhel
x3tc

Post by avanhel » Wed, 30. Sep 09, 15:27

A while back some maps from the x3 universe were posted. I think that these should be included

nay043
x4

Post by nay043 » Fri, 2. Oct 09, 22:53

Howdy,
I don't post much, infact this is probably my second post, there's so much to read I never get a chance to say anything lol :P

Anyway, I made a PSP theme, don't know if you'd be interested in it. I made everything in it myself during my spare time at uni, nothing is taken from the net (except the background screenshot, it's my fave from the main page :) ).

Dark Version:
[ external image ]

Light Version:
[ external image ]

in a handy zip file here: http://buzzardmill.web.officelive.com/P ... -Theme.zip

-901KB

The .ptf file goes into 'PSP/THEME' on your PSP memory stick.

Hope you all like it!

-EDIT: Fixed link (AGAIN)
Last edited by nay043 on Thu, 3. Jun 10, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

MadDogMcQ
x3tc

Post by MadDogMcQ » Wed, 28. Oct 09, 09:58

enenra wrote:Hm. I did some artwork for the X-Tended Mod about half a year ago. Is it also possible to include that?
http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=12842
Wow, and how good was it too? !!! Excellent.
01110100 01101111 01101101 00100000
01101101 01100011 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100111 01100111 01100001 01101110

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Wed, 28. Oct 09, 19:50

I'd like to put forth my offer to include my Terran propaganda posters. These are lower resolution than the originals (which are quite large), and I can send those if you're interested. :)
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

gsheriston
x3tc

Post by gsheriston » Sun, 1. Nov 09, 06:29

I now have a document in MS Word format containing Best Served Cold, including the six parts not yet posted. I am away from home at the moment, but could still email the file (627Kb) if that would help. I just need an address to send it to. It's been a busy weekend, and I have some very understanding hosts who have let me write undisturbed for most of the last 36 hours...

Return to “Creative Universe”