EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

X3TC Sector / Universe trader
View previous topic :: View next topic
CNiall

PostPosted: Sun, 5. Jul 09, 21:15    Post subject: X3TC Sector / Universe trader Reply with quote Print

I'd like to supplement my income with a ST/UT or two, but I'm not too sure about what to do. I understand that the TS being used needs to be equipped with Trade Command Software MK3 and I'm pretty sure that it can only become a UT after reaching level 8 ST, but does the ship need to be equipped with anything else and what TS would be best? Also, where should I put the sector trader to start? I heard Aldrin is good; is this true?

(Just to clarify, the ST will roam a sector selling goods purchased from one station to another in the same sector and the UT does a similar thing across multiple sectors, right?)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sun, 5. Jul 09, 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

That's nearly correct but the ST can become a Local Trader with experience and cover a range of sectors around its start position, whereas a UT can jump anywhere in the universe. See the Mk 3 Trader factsheet under trading in the 'guides' sticky on the X Universe forum.

Wintermist

PostPosted: Mon, 6. Jul 09, 01:23    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

From my own experience the UT doesn't really bring that much benefit. There's a much greater risk it will be destroyed than if you would simply use it as a ST but allow it to trade in nearby safe sectors as well, you will be able to allow him to do ST within 10 jumps of where you start him. You can set the number of jumps yourself, which greatly increases your control of him.

Jeraal

PostPosted: Mon, 6. Jul 09, 04:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

He can local trade at level 6 right? Just need to restart sector trader and option to set jump range will be available.

Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.
Bill Huntington

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 6. Jul 09, 06:27    Post subject: Aldrin for ST Reply with quote Print

I thought Aldrin was the perfect place for a Sector Trader. A lot of cheap resources, and places to sell them. And no where to get lost. I put one there, and he actually made me millions of $. But they do some bonehead things. Aldrin is BIG. The ST would cross the whole world because the item was $1 cheaper.

I also put a my own resource processing stations on the backside of Aldrin: Sun Oil refinery, Cahoona Bakery, and Massom Mill. The ST did very little to take care of it. Even though it is your own station, you have to price it to be attractive to your ST. I noticed ZERO Aldrin traffic. I manually handled a freighter to take care of my stations. Made many Millions of $. Wheat at $10, Sun Oil $5, Scruffin $7, in full loads for a big freighter. When I went to my freighter, I checked on the ST. It worked, but took a certain amount of time.

I haven't done it in 2.1, but I hear that there is now a connected Aldrin 2. I don't know anything about it, but Xenon might be more of a presence. There were none before, in my experience.

There are maps of Aldrin, which list the coodinates of all the stations. Good Luck.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 6. Jul 09, 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

To be effective sector trading in Aldrin, you need many STs perhaps 5 to 10. Go for smaller and faster TSs such as stock Caimans or use fast TMs or even some Falcon Haulers or you will have SFs taking ages to deliver a few weapons right across the sector. Make sure their Local Trader range setting is 0 if they have the experience. Check their holds every so often as they will gradually fill up with missiles and ammo that they haven't sold. Get them to drop the surplus at a depot ship and when that is getting full, use it to resupply any Aldrin ships/stocks you use elsewhere.

Try to start this off as early in the game as you can as the STs will prevent factories being removed by GOD through lack of use. ALdrin trading is completely safe and effective as long as you stay OOS while they are making money. Once you go IS, everything stops because of big rock and station collision avoidance.

CNiall

PostPosted: Mon, 6. Jul 09, 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

What about sectors where I can effectively have a ST without too many of them? I'd prefer not to splash out on too many TS ships for the moment.