[TC] How the #$#&$^ do you use a mobile drilling system?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Strum1
x3tc

How the #$#&$^ do you use a mobile drilling system?

Post by Strum1 » Thu, 30. Apr 09, 06:29

I found a astroid with Nividum and knowing how valuable that is, i went and picked up a MDS and got a freighter.. both have all the drilling software and equipment.

I'm flying a springblossom and the MDS is installed in my back turret.

How on gods green earth do you use this thing?

I've spent the last hour searching, trying different command scripts, etc.

I even spent 20 minutes shooting it with my guns.
How do you break up rocks using the MDS?

Radius
x3tc

Post by Radius » Thu, 30. Apr 09, 06:46

Well, for 1, if its in the back turret you need to shoot that gun at the asteroid (use F1 to jump to the back turret).

Get close enough for the MDS to hit, swing the ship around, jump to back turret, fire one shot (maybe 2). Then drop a nav sat and leave the system. Tell your other ship (as long as it has a gun, doesnt need to be a MDS on that one) and it should mine the nividium.

Think it just needs an ore collector and special command software installed, but maybe needs fight 1 + 2.

Reason you leave the sector (and drop the nav sat) is it will mine near the satilite and collision detedtions turned off.

Strum1
x3tc

Post by Strum1 » Thu, 30. Apr 09, 07:21

Radius wrote:Well, for 1, if its in the back turret you need to shoot that gun at the asteroid (use F1 to jump to the back turret).

OMG I did not know you could control the turret! :shock:

the manul just said F1 changed views..

Thank you so much for that tidbit.

Also once the astroid is broken, the the shis automatically know that when tell them to mind, it means the smaller rocks? It's not going to start mining one of the big astroids is it?

Radius
x3tc

Post by Radius » Thu, 30. Apr 09, 08:28

Thats why you dont give the ship thats going to be doing the automated mining an MDS (pretty much any gun can break up the smaller rocks, but only an MDS or a missle like a hornet can break the bigger ones). If it only has a PAC then it can only break the already broken rock smaller and not break up any of the mappable asteroids you can put mines on.

It will pretty much mine one type until the holds full, not sure if they switch types when they arent homebased. I usually have my miners homebased to a mine (to clean out the sector) and they will switch off ore/silicon. Believe they simply mine whatever is most in demand.

If there is some broken Nividium near the nav sat (tell it to move to position then choose the nav sat befor you give the order) it should mine the nividium there. If it doesnt, may have to do it the old fashioned way.

Buy a Mammoth, shoot the nividium once with a MDS, then just run into the smaller pieces to break em up and collect them in hold. Stop every few minutes to let sheilds recharge, then run into them some more. Just dont let the sheilds get below like 25% and make sure you have an ore collector installed on it.

Strum1
x3tc

Post by Strum1 » Mon, 4. May 09, 22:20

Radius wrote: Buy a Mammoth, shoot the nividium once with a MDS, then just run into the smaller pieces to break em up and collect them in hold. Stop every few minutes to let sheilds recharge, then run into them some more. Just dont let the sheilds get below like 25% and make sure you have an ore collector installed on it.
I'm an idiot... i should have done this. I kept using my springblossom and quite often i would kill myself when i hit a rock that was too big.. (although already broken up) Wasted alot of time reloading and breaking rocks agian.

Also I heard Astroids respawn.. is this correct? The one that I broke up about a week ago in real life still hasn't respawned..

Radius
x3tc

Post by Radius » Tue, 5. May 09, 09:34

You know, thats debatable. Some say they do, some say they dont. In X3:R they did, so im simply assuming the same for TC. May take a while though, and for some (that dont show in the ships list) - thats even more debateable. I am pretty sure though - some do and some dont.

Respawn time (if they do) may be random as well, so how quick they return in one game may be differnt for another.

jon_argent

Post by jon_argent » Tue, 5. May 09, 15:37

They definately do respawn, I have destroyed several near my complex, and they return, took less than a day in game time.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 5. May 09, 19:29

jon_argent wrote:They definately do respawn, I have destroyed several near my complex, and they return, took less than a day in game time.
Interesting.

I was checking station debris despawn time and blew up a couple of map asteroids as well (one with a Spectre, one with a self-destructed ore mine) and neither have respawned over 60 game hours later.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”