Questions about Satellites [TC]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The_Unforgiven

Questions about Satellites [TC]

Post by The_Unforgiven » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 01:18

There are three things I do not fully understand about Satellites.

First: What can I do with an Advanced Satellite that I can not do with a Navigation Satellite?

Second: Are satellites for my own benefit or do my owned AI ships and Stations use them too?

Third: If the satellites are for my own benefit and I do not do any manual trading are there any reasons to deploying satellites?

Reason why I ask this is I have just recently set up an Ore mine and had planned to set up satellites in prime sectors to help it find the best place to sell its stock of Ore. However, it sent one of it's traders to buy EC from a sector I have no satellites in. This leads me to believe stations automatically know the best places to buy/sell their goods given the parameters I give it.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 01:28

Some scripts rely on you to have property in a sector to buy/sell in there. Although, not actually sure if that holds true in X3TC or just X3R (CAG). Plus, satellites allow you to check for prices and enemies.

Adv sats have a slightly greater scanner range than normal sats. Plus, when in sector adv sats allow you to put a video image onto the sector map. You can then zoom in - absolute godsend when placing stations for a complex...

Tim

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 02:36

2. They're just for your benefit, some community scripts may use them but none of the egosoft ones do.

3. You've never had to search all the factories in the universe to gather enough equipment to outfit a ship or do a mission? Satellites come in very useful even if you just buy stuff rather than trade it.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 08:26

Advsats have bigger radar range and if you've got one in-sector with you, you can press K on the sector map for a laggy video overview.

I always put loads down, helps me keep an eye on everything. Also I'm trying to currrently have a satellite near all the super-shipyards, help me buy any ship I need without having to worry which shipyard it's at.

klingens

Post by klingens » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 09:41

Adv Sats have a "advanced" menu with best buy/sell locators

Cyricist
x3tc

Post by Cyricist » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 13:05

klingens wrote:Adv Sats have a "advanced" menu with best buy/sell locators
Does this benefit sector/universe traders?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 13:26

Cyricist wrote: Does this benefit sector/universe traders?
STs and UTs don't need any sort of best buy or best sell, and neither do they require satellites.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 14:28

klingens wrote:Adv Sats have a "advanced" menu with best buy/sell locators
I thought you got that anyway, if you have the best buy/sell on board your ship?

Can't be sure, since I never use normal sats, but definitely thought you'd get that option whichever sat.

Cheers.

Tim

natha
x4

Post by natha » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 15:05

I think Perkint is right here. If your ship has best/buy-sell soft, you see the option in any sat.
I found them very very usefull, even for pirate hunting, cap stuff find xenon wardering around and spot any threats before come to your stations.
If your game is modified you may check "satellite early warning network" script.

I have over 300 (~200 adv) satellites by the way, all around universe, and i never found the time to drop and manage them wasted :)

sazanami
x3tc

Post by sazanami » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 15:10

I always ensure I have Adv Sats in all non xenon/khaak sectors. Knowing is half the battle, sometimes more.

On another note, Adv Sats seem to be in high demand, I might consider opening some factories, see how much money that makes.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”