[TC] Ion shard railgun

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Carrier_Junkie
x3tc

Ion shard railgun

Post by Carrier_Junkie » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 05:30

I'm having trouble finding the ion shard railgun. I want to use it on my new Shrike, but all the stations I've visited have been out. I've looked two times, at very far intervals. This may just be a noobish question, but is there any known glitches that prevents ISRs from being produced?

As a side question, what would be a good front loadout for the Shrike? Do not suggest IBLs as the factory was blown up and I don't have the time to make nice with the Yaki.
Bite my shiney metal...Oh wait, nevermind.

What's wrong with the Split? "Split do not speak to human!"
Well human do not speak to Split!

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 05:47

Check the Split Equipment Docks if the factories are out -- also did you check the Split medium weapons complexes? I believe they make them there...

If you don't want to buy the Yaki's IBLs, then I'd suggest capping/blowing up their TLs and capships, or doing the same with the regular Pirates.

Carrier_Junkie
x3tc

Post by Carrier_Junkie » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 05:51

cool, thanks

APG Lucky 13
x3tc

Post by APG Lucky 13 » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 07:50

Buy an ISR factory, a Chelt farm, the factory that converts Chelt meat (I forgot the name), 2 complex construction kits and one fully loaded high capacity TS.

Build the entire complex in a safe sector near available energy, set the TS to buy energy and once ramped up, you'll have 5 ISRs every 23 game hours.

You could also just leave some ships at these stations and keep checking their progress.

Another thing you can do, is feed those ISR factories with the resources they need...

Just a few ideas.

Good luck.

hsung
x3tc

Post by hsung » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 10:57

You may be disappointed with the ISR's as most have found the CIG more effective and efficient ...

shanrak
x4

Post by shanrak » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 11:44

yes, for some reason my CiGs hit far more than my ISRs, and the knock around effect they have on tiny ships is pretty funny. They can also be used to knock a lasertower far far away.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 13:56

IBLs do four times as much damage as ISRs so it's definitely worth trying to get a set, although it's not as critical with the Shrike as you've got the gauss cannons on the side.

ISRs should produce fine but I seem to remember that have an odd production cycle and produce a batch of five every 11 hours.
Last edited by NeverSnake on Fri, 20. Mar 09, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

mcflurey667
x3tc

Post by mcflurey667 » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 13:58

yer CIG are much better than ion shard railguns, on my shrike up front ive got 2 IBL ( that i found randomly ) and the rest CIG. you will be disapointed with Ion shard Railguns they dont do enough damage and drain energy fast 8)
Glory Be To The Sajuuk Khar

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 14:20

well, I guess it depends on what result you want... CIGs are ok for killing, but ISRs are far better for capping, or so I've found! :twisted:

Carrier_Junkie
x3tc

Post by Carrier_Junkie » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 21:42

ironically, while I was waiting for someone to reply, I put 4 CIGs on the front of my Shrike, (I happen to have a factory, I only built it for money, but now I'm glad I did :D) I put 4 IPC on the front as well. But now I have a new problem. My front combo seems fine against cap ships, but I'm having trouble with a swarm of fighters. I went into a yaki sector and they sent Ryus after me to be used kind of like carriers. The Ryus were easy, but the fighters the left nearly killed me. I've got FAA wherever I can put it, except the sides, Which now have gauss cannons. For the rear turret, I put two PRGs and set it on missile defense. Is there any way to boost my fighter effectiveness without getting rid of my cap killing power? (eg. do I need the gauss cannons to kill cap ships? because other wise i might just put FAAs).

Edit: What does OOS mean? From what I can tell, it's a ship, but I'm having trouble finding threads on it.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 22:13

You could switch your front weapons to IBLs and swap the gauss cannons for flak, they won't be quite as good as GCs but they're still 3-4 times better than CIGs and ISRs.

OOS is 'out of sector'; fights work differently when you're not viewing them.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 20. Mar 09, 22:26

Carrier_Junkie wrote:eg. do I need the gauss cannons to kill cap ships?
For a shrike it's either GC or running away. Well, sauntering away.

You might want to invest in a script to switch weapons so you can put Flak on the side turrets if not needing the GC.
Then again, the shrike's laser generator probably can't even feed that much Flak so you may want to have some turrets with EBC, too.
Space for ammo should not be one of your problems.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 21. Mar 09, 00:09

Carrier_Junkie wrote:Edit: What does OOS mean? From what I can tell, it's a ship, but I'm having trouble finding threads on it.
IS = "In Sector"
meaning there is something happening in the sector you are currently located in. Collision detection applies as does turret tracking, refire rates, and energy/ammo drain.

OOS = "Out Of Sector"
meaning a sector where something is happening and you are not located in it. In this case combat is a roll of the dice type model with factors applied for the weapons and shields fitted to each ship. Also ranged attacks don't occur, so for two entities to fight they must be colocated on the OOS map and combat is one-to-one or many-to-one. Area affect weapons (e.g. PSGs) only hit one target and hit that target only once, so are less effective in OOS combat. Ammo drain is one crate/pack per roll of the dice so the recommendation is not to use ammo based weapons (e.g. Gauss Cannons) for OOS combat.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Sat, 21. Mar 09, 02:29

by the way "Remote Best Buy", is the easiest way to buy things that are hard to find.

Equip a TM with the best buy command, then you'll be able to use the Remote Best Buy command, just select a station that has the laser you want, even if it's not in stock, and then just put in a large jump range and your TM will hunt down the station that has it in stock for you. or tell you there's none in the universe.

phoenix-it
x3tc

Post by phoenix-it » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 15:04

Thanks for the thread... I was looking for other people's opinion of this gun as I recently ended up with like 15 of them on a captured ship.

My opinion of them is that they are inferior to CIG for killing because they use tons more energy per damage. The projectile is faster, which looks good on paper, but appears to be inferior in practice because of the extra energy drain.

As for capping, this gun does too much hull damage for capping. The Ion Pulse Generator is a better choice as it does more shield damage and much less hull damage. Heck, even a PBE is better than the shard gun...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”