[TC] PBE and AI

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

anartark

PBE and AI

Post by anartark » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 23:15

This is an old matter. AI starts firing PBEs before the target is in range and this happened in Reunion as well ( not to mention that AI reduces fire rate of the fastest weapons like PBE ). I did always find some ways to overcome this loss of laser energy using PBEs with my fleets.

e.g. combining it with PACs works often nicely, cause the gap between PBEs max range and the range from the target AI starts firing at, is then filled by PACs range and less laser energy gets lost. This could work with IREs too.

This example leads to another problem though, being PBE the most direct weapon in terms of aiming, combining it with other weapons, does interfere with the entire loadout aiming? It seems so. Then AI would aim better PACs using them alone, or even IREs alone. I noticed this at least.

:gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel: :gruebel:

I'd like to find a solution to this issue once and forever, what's your thoughts and esperiences about it?

Cheers.

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Thu, 5. Mar 09, 02:02

My experience is very limited with PBE's, but it seems to me that their effective range changes from ship to ship and their effectiveness alters depending on the profile of the ship you're fighting against. I've had a great deal of success capping ships while in an M3 using 3x PBE and 5xPAC, but I don't fire on my target until about 1000m away. I wouldn't put them in a turret since the range is so poor.

anartark

Post by anartark » Thu, 5. Mar 09, 03:04

I was talking about PBEs mounted as main weapon, on ships under AI control...
When used on turrets, PBEs seem to be fired within their real range though.

Thanks for replying anyway :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”