Deimos: Phased Shockwave Generator vs Flak Artillary Array

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BlkKnight

Deimos: Phased Shockwave Generator vs Flak Artillary Array

Post by BlkKnight » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 16:18

Just acquired a Deimos, and I'm pretty happy with it at the mo.

(need to find some IBL's to complete it.)

The question is, what's the consensus regarding FAA Vs PSG

FAA out ranges the PSG by over .6km - which makes quite a difference if the little buggers stay at range - but they seem tones more efficient.

I have installed extra CIG's so that the turrets can fire whilst the fighters are out of range of PSG / FAA.

Just think that the FFA feel like they cheq up loads more power.

Opinions?
i7-920
GA-EX58-UD5
6x 1gb DDR3 1600 hz OCZ
1 x Dell Perc 6/i
4 x Samsung HD103UJ 1TB (raid 5)
1 x WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS
Force3d 4870 512MB PCI-E
Dell Perc 6/i RAID project

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 16:22

PSG is the best flak but causes friendly fire so use FAA when there is friendlies near and PSG when there are no friendlies near.

The Deimos is the best commonwealth anti fighter m7 due to its shielding and the way it can mount PSG everywhere.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Deimos: Phased Shockwave Generator vs Flak Artillary Array

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 16:28

BlkKnight wrote:The question is, what's the consensus regarding FAA Vs PSG
Chalk up 1 vote for FAA - extra range is handy & far less chance of friendly fire issues - unlike most weapons can even fire them if there's a station or friendly ship behind whatever you're shooting at - since FAA is insta-hit there's little chance of missed shots overshooting & hitting them. PSG is far too indiscriminate to use anywhere except completely hostile sectors (Khaak, Xenon,etc).

insolent1
x3tc

Post by insolent1 » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 16:32

I vote for FAA aswell due to its almost universal usage in large ships and what teh grey one said. But do not overlook PSG it really is very good just have to be careful where you use it, like CFA.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 16:47

PSG are awesome if you fly the only non-hostile ship in the sector and don't ever care about any dropped loot.

Forget fleet actions entirely. That would be like a trigger happy rifle platoon equipped with only sawed-off Auto Assault-12.
Better not deploy them too far from the field hospital. =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BlkKnight

Post by BlkKnight » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 16:51

Gazz (seeing your in here),

How does MARS treat PSG?
i7-920
GA-EX58-UD5
6x 1gb DDR3 1600 hz OCZ
1 x Dell Perc 6/i
4 x Samsung HD103UJ 1TB (raid 5)
1 x WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS
Force3d 4870 512MB PCI-E
Dell Perc 6/i RAID project

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 17:32

I've figured a way to use PSGs even in crowded sectors. Requires a lot of patience though. Method is as follows:

1. Park your Diemos or Oddy in a quiet corner of the sector, out of the way of civilian traffic

2. Change ships to fast fighter

3. Fly to a station offering a patrol mission

4. Trigger mission

5. Fly/Jump back to your Diemos or Oddy and change ships again.

6. Get rid of the fighter. Either bring it aboard the Diemos, or send it to the nearest station, or jump it out

7. Wait.

It will take a while, but eventually the enemies will wipe out most of the other ships in the sector, especially at high fight rank. After that they'll come to you.

Defend the stations are a little bit more complicated, but still doable.

The secret is to park your ship about 6 or 7 miles from from the station that wants defending, with your nose pointed towards the gate that the enemy will be coming through. Strafe up or down, left or right, until you're happy with your position. Then trigger the mission. The hostile ships will jump into the sector and fly straight towards you.

Doesn't work though if the station is too close to the gate, or situated in a part of the sector where there's lots of traffic moving about.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 17:53

BlkKnight wrote:Gazz (seeing your in here),
How does MARS treat PSG?
Very carefully.
Goodfeller wrote:I've figured a way to use PSGs even in crowded sectors. Requires a lot of patience though. Method is as follows:
Ah, finally a method to safely use PSG. Too bad it requires that the whole sector's population is getting wiped out for a start.

Hope you never have to patrol or protect something in my sector.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 19:11

Gazz wrote: Hope you never have to patrol or protect something in my sector.
Actually, I was thinking of dropping by later. So, lock up your ships, bud. Don't say I didn't warn ya !

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 19:14

I did something like that in Ceo's Buckzoid because at a certain moment it was REALLY crowded. 2 OWP, 2 Phoenixes, 2 Condors, 2 Shrikes, 3 Gannets, 22 Peregrines, 3 Ospreys and LOADS of fighters. I couldn't dock at the local Military base because it was always full. So I started 3 Patrol missions (2x Xenons and 1x Khaak). Result: Xenon & Khaak dead, plus only 1 Phoenix, an Osprey and a handful of other fighters survived. And I finally docked at the outpost :D

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 23:52

Hasn't PSG got a significant extra range factor over what the encyclopedia lists it as? I seem to remember somebody mentioning 2.8km.

I've not yet tried PSGs in TC, but certainly based on previous games it's no competition, PSGs win hands down if there are no friendlies nearby.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Erratic1
x3tc

Post by Erratic1 » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 23:59

Yeah whack on PSG on as many turrets as you can and then try a little waltz through a Kh'aak sector, and watch the fireworks show!

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Sat, 2. May 09, 00:39

PSG's were my fave weapon in 3R for using in a Paranid M3 for popping Kha'ak clusters..

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sat, 2. May 09, 01:51

Having a Paranid capital ship without PSGs just doesn't make sense.

You went Paranid, now go PSG. It's logical consequence.

Exobiologik

Post by Exobiologik » Sat, 2. May 09, 03:26

PSG is really the best (not the french soccer club)
that simply clean all ennemy in a wide cone aera...you can instantly explose mass hunter and missile....specially M3 M4 M5.

but few problem:
-very short range, so ennemy M6 M7 M2 M1 and also M3 can shot you and stay out of range...dont use on rear turret...thats why other flak can be usefull.
-heavy energy cost (M2 only, or few on m7)
-friendly fire who can blast your reputation in few second...dont take your M2 paranid for race sector patroll or defense mission.

with mars , PSG is use on alst chance, i prefer equip them in top and down turret..at less, the M2 preshot with it.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 2. May 09, 04:21

You buy a paranid ship and equip it with massed PSGs solely for the OFF plot.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”