The most dangerous Flak out thier (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Magnabyte
x4

The most dangerous Flak out thier (TC)

Post by Magnabyte » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:15

Recently downloaded the normandy from mass effect, an M6 that can hold flak weapons, so ofcourse I stick terran flak on, and i am slightly disapointed by the results. So, in your saged opinions, what is the best flak weapon in the game?

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:23

FFA.

Magnabyte
x4

Post by Magnabyte » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:26

oh? Better range, or spread, or do they just do more damage?

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:38

FAAs and SSCs are much the same weapon, just with marginally different stats and different effects. SSCs do slightly more damage but have slightly less range, take up slightly less space but are slightly less efficient.

I'm not sure why you're finding them poor, they should rip through M5s and M4s in no time.

And those are the only two traditional flak weapons in game. (CFAs and FBLs work differently)
Last edited by NeverSnake on Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Wolf-R1

Post by Wolf-R1 » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:38

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 01:39

Kind of hard to do that when most of the weapon stats are missing from those links.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Wolf-R1

Post by Wolf-R1 » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 02:27

When I click on them all the info is there.

Black_Shade

Post by Black_Shade » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 02:39

NeverSnake wrote:
Kind of hard to do that when most of the weapon stats are missing from those links.
They work for me.

Most likely you had the flak bug... which I get 99% of the time, it really makes flak useless since it is so common. Everyone will also give you different reasons for why you get it too, which is hilarious. It usually revolves around saving, so if you like to save your game, dont use flak in your ships because they wont work.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 03:07

Wolf-R1 wrote:When I click on them all the info is there.
You also need Energy Drain/second and Shots/second.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 08:08

IMO there is no best Flak in the game, since all of them are ridiculously powerful already and they don't vary that much, so chance if you find one of them is not working, none of them gonna work anyway.

The problem is with your ship being a a M6. I don't find mounting flak on anything smaller than a M7 very effective. Even with an M7 I only mount a minimum of flak to take out those pesky M5 that make it pass my main guns. Flak is powerful but they eat up energy super fast, so unless it's a M1/M2 flak can not be relied as your main weapon.

The only time I would give a M6 flak weapon is if it's an AI controlled ship assigned to shotgun duty protecting my bigger ships.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 15:56

softweir wrote:
Wolf-R1 wrote:When I click on them all the info is there.
You also need Energy Drain/second and Shots/second.
Yes, the damage given there is per shot and without knowing the number of shots a second you can't get any idea of how deadly a weapon is and without the energy use you don't know how many of them you can use on a particular ship.
Mightysword wrote:The problem is with your ship being a a M6. I don't find mounting flak on anything smaller than a M7 very effective.
Just as well that nothing smaller than an M7 can mount flak in the first place then (except the springblossom).

Magnabyte
x4

Post by Magnabyte » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 16:27

The Normandy is a modded ship, so it can mount one flak weapon in its turrets, or normal lasers, thankfully his save was just me messing about with the normady, so I can start again if its bugged, but I mean, the shockwave cannons where definatly hitting the target N....just not killing it like they usually do

uxnhoj123
x3tc

Post by uxnhoj123 » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 17:12

Yea, there's your problem - flak cannons aren't very effective alone. I don't like using them unless there's at least 4 to a turret. Otherwise they can take a very long time to take down an M3.

In the vanilla game nothing mounts fewer than 2 of them per turret, so you wouldn't experience it unless you under-equipped your ship.

Anyhoo, about that potential flak bug, are the hits actually doing damage? When I get the flak bug, the shots hit but they do 0 damage.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 17:26

1 Flak is roughly on par with 1 HEPT. Just hits better. =)

So yeah, 1 Flak isn't going to do much.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”