[IDEA/LIBRARY]-(01-13-2009)-Text/Color Library - Separated Forum

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

WindsOfBoreas

[IDEA/LIBRARY]-(01-13-2009)-Text/Color Library - Separated Forum

Post by WindsOfBoreas » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 09:26

So, I'm looking through a lot of scripts and it has become obvious that people like to use colored text (like me). Most of this text is simple and you see it verbatim in many plugins prompting people to use up the text file slots like hotcakes.

To combat this, would it not be wise to make one text file with all the common text, especially the colored text.

This would include things like

Stop or Off
Start or On

as well as variable entries like

<t id="1">\033B%s\033X</t>
<t id="2">\033C%s\033X</t>
etc.

I know that right now there are still tons of unused text files, but this would undoubtedly free up many for the future.

On a tangentially, unrelated note, would it not be beneficial to have a few sub-forums to the S&M forum. One for released plugins and one for questions and requests. It seems like the forum would be a lot more organized this way and would allow people to find things a lot more quickly.

Anyway, these are just thoughts. Tell me what you think.

The North Wind
Last edited by WindsOfBoreas on Tue, 13. Jan 09, 06:09, edited 4 times in total.
"Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition." - Isaac Asimov

WindsOfBoreas

Post by WindsOfBoreas » Tue, 13. Jan 09, 05:43

Any thoughts?
"Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition." - Isaac Asimov

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Tue, 13. Jan 09, 08:56

*drops 5 cents*

Honestly, I think something like that aint really necessary.

You will NEVER manage to include all "common" text or at least you can be sure that exactly the text that someone wants for his own script will be just missing and in the end ppl wont bother using such a library that only covers... say 50% of the colored texts needed if they have to do the rest manually anyway.

What may be a good idea instead is some sort of neatly formatted tutorial/reference sheet on how to use / where one can use colored text parts.
If something like that doesn't already exist somewhere - I dunno and I personally never needed such a tutorial but for novice scripters it may come in handy.

XDrake
x3tc

Post by XDrake » Wed, 14. Jan 09, 18:47

What may be a good idea instead is some sort of neatly formatted tutorial/reference sheet on how to use / where one can use colored text parts.
If something like that doesn't already exist somewhere - I dunno and I personally never needed such a tutorial but for novice scripters it may come in handy.
I have started a list in:

Tutorials and Resources

By no means is the list complete. As I explore more into it I will edit that post.
XDrake
-------------------------------------------------------
NECORE Inc.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”