map of sun strength by sector

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

scipiomax

map of sun strength by sector

Post by scipiomax » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 05:31

a little while back i saw a universe map that showed the strength of the sun in sectors from black to bright yellow. i cant seem to find it again. if some one knows where it is please tell me.
thank you

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 06:17

Oh that is old news, of which i herd only fleeting rumors about when i first started playing X2 several years ago!

Aparantly there was some game version where sun strength was relevant to solar power plant output. Perfectly logical i guess but the idea was dropped long ago when someone realized they could frustrate the hell out of us all with the idea of 'crystals' instead.
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

scipiomax

Post by scipiomax » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 06:23

ah i see thank you

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 07:09

Huh? Can anyone confirm this is actually a dropped game-feature? Cuz that would really make me slam my head into the wall. Been placing my closed loop complexes in 150% sun areas with good asteroids solely. And there are not that many of those. :P

DurAlvar
x3

Post by DurAlvar » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 07:16

Yeah, the output of SPPs definitely changes with the sun strength.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 07:17

Sun strength does matter. You don't produce more cells per crystal, but your cycle time is faster.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 07:40

Last i heard, it was definitely dropped? Is it back now in X3 Reunion or TC?
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 10:00

iirc it was removed for R but back in TC.

Would just having the percent shown be fine?
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

JrK
x3tc

Post by JrK » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 10:03

It is nothing special really.
Spoiler
Show
Only sector with 400% is Akeela's Beacon (the one above Legend's Home), most are 150% and there are precious few with only 100% That said, Akeela's Beacon isn't really that good because it has no asteroids.
God is in the rain.

gammacee
x3ap

Post by gammacee » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 10:04

AFAIK it was never dropped. In X3R, however, almost all sectors had the same solar strength (100% if I remember right). But in TC, there is a wider variation.
Note also that the effect of the strength is not what it appears, for example, a solar plant in a sector with 400% strength does not produce 4x the energy cells. Likewise, it will still produce in a sector with 0% strength :)
Back on topic: I too would like to see a map with the solar strength included. I know of a couple of key sectors with high/low strength but most of the others would just be a guess...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 10:22

mystikmind2005 wrote:Last i heard, it was definitely dropped? Is it back now in X3 Reunion or TC?
And what do they say about reliability of hearsay? :P

The sunlight value of sector does determine the cycle time of SPP in X2 and in X3TC, all versions.
The feature is not used in X3R. (Exception: the 0% Loomanck sector does.)

Cannot recall seeing a map with this feature, but lack of proof is no proof.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 10:53

Here, courtesy of Xadrian:

[ external image ]
Where is it?

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Wed, 10. Jun 09, 20:47

JrK wrote:It is nothing special really.
Spoiler
Show
Only sector with 400% is Akeela's Beacon (the one above Legend's Home), most are 150% and there are precious few with only 100% That said, Akeela's Beacon isn't really that good because it has no asteroids.
Spoiler
Show
Not quite: you also have Aldrin...
edit: just checked - only 300% though...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”