Patch 1.4 Wingman kills

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Jezmond40
x3tc

Patch 1.4 Wingman kills

Post by Jezmond40 » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 11:39

Hi in Patch 1.3 you used to get credit for Wingman Kills, its gone in 1.4 is it possible to bring them back again?

Thanks

Jerry

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 14:18

I suspect that was a bug. :)

As such, it not likely to be back unless a dev goofs again.

Esc.Control

Post by Esc.Control » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 14:28

Er, which was a bug, having wingman credit or losing it?

Because if they're going to give us all these nifty fleets and commands and carriers, but make them be actively stealing our mission rewards.. well..
why bother with the fleet at all?

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 16:41

apricotslice wrote:I suspect that was a bug. :)

As such, it not likely to be back unless a dev goofs again.
I couldn't disagree more

If it was treated as a bug and removed then someone deserves slapping with a large fish, i'd see the non payouts (if this is the case in 1.4) as a bug
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

shinpl
x4

Post by shinpl » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 18:57

Agreed, why we should make wings/fleets if they would steal rewards? Might as well give us some sort of Omni-Godlike-Ship when using more then personal ship is pointless...

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 00:56

I guess I've been seriously missing something then.

I was under the impression that ONLY your only kills got you rank, and only your own kills got you paid. Therefore, If 1.3 got you rank and pay for wingmen kills, then sure this was an aberation that has been fixed in 1.4 ? Or has TC had this all along and I didnt notice, because I never use wingmen ?

Anyway, since the devs aim has always been to make it harder for the player to make money, getting paid for wingman kills is definitely against their past behaviour and if it was standard in TC, it was inevitable to be chopped.

I did wonder when people said they sent in the troops for missions and stayed oos, and still got paid huge amounts. I guess that was why. And I seriously dont mind that being chopped.

shinpl
x4

Post by shinpl » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 02:10

I dont realy mind NOT-getting paid for OOS combat, nor NOT-getting money for non-wingmen. But IS? What would the diffrence be realy? "Easier" for the player? He spent money/time to outfit the ships and risks them getting blown to bits or smashing into an asteroid/station/another ship... I do belive that should give some reward if they manage to do more then distraction for the player ;-). Yeah ok, I would gladly work for a % of the normal bounty from wingmen, I dont see a problem with that, you can imagine the 'pilot' (yeah yeah its still only an autopilot :/) gets his share or something like that...

Esc.Control

Post by Esc.Control » Mon, 29. Dec 08, 09:07

The other thing to consider is, if wingmen should not contribute kill credits, then why would anyone ever use an M1 when the M2s have zomg moar gunz?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 29. Dec 08, 09:33

apricotslice wrote:I did wonder when people said they sent in the troops for missions and stayed oos, and still got paid huge amounts. I guess that was why. And I seriously dont mind that being chopped.
But as you very well know, the OOS combat resolution makes that a number game where you might lose big too.

I did look at the 1.2.01 version mission code, and could not see any reference to "ships with wingman-flag set" treated differently. Some missions counted kills of playership only, and some counted both playership kills and kills by ships of race 'player'.

Assuming I did understood any bit of that, then the only way a "wingman" could score would have been the hardcode to treat every "wingman" as playership, which obviously smells bad. That could be called a bug, as it may have undesirable side-effects. Not getting rewarded for the deeds of your fleet on the other hand is more of a design decision, although it may be implementation error too. One might not see one bug before an another is fixed, and therefore ...

Anyway, this is the S&M Forum. We do not care whether this or that game feature is a bug or a "wrong" design decision. The X-Universe forum can debate that. What should happen here is the generation of scripts, missions, and mods that please us. Discussion about how to do something rather than whether that makes any sense. And we do not need "your mod is better than my mod" bragging contests, since they are all great mods, aren't they? ;)

Possible to "bring back"? Yes. Modify the mission files. Look at the sticky threads on how to work with Mission Director files. Not a topic as well covered as the script&mod, but it should not be very difficult.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”