Regarding the Format of the Model files.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Troj
x3

Regarding the Format of the Model files.

Post by Troj » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 21:50

I don't know if anyone knows this ... but I've just noticed that you can decompress the pbd files, if you rename them to PCK and use the Utility in OlisJ or Stone-D's excellent programs.
Semper Pugno, semper Vinci.

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 22:43

Im currently working on a little program that'll covert this file into the ascii type file that can be loaded into Milkshape3D ... I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Oh yeah, I do have too much time on my hands :)

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 23:08

This is the very first attempt :)
WIth a little imagination you can see an Ruined Argon M2 ...

[url]http://russ.uk.net\first.jpg[/url]

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 23:22

I wrote a Milkshape import filter for Freelancer models. If you want to colaborate, I'd be happy to write one for X2. I wrote the filter import classes to be as modular as possible, so if you know the file format for X2, I'm sure I could get a proper filter working pretty quickly.
You were warned... pirates will be hunted down like vermin.

Ex Turbo Modestum

n0tsane
x3tc

Post by n0tsane » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 23:43

your link should be pointing to http://russ.uk.net/first.JPG instead... it works better :)

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 23:53

Is http://russ.uk.net/second.jpg anybetter ? This is importing the Triangle list as well as the vertices ...

Reven, Thanks for the offer ... I'm getting my head around the format at the moment, but once I've understood it properly I'll probably take you up as I program in C# .

ShadowTek
x2

Post by ShadowTek » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 20:03

Wow this is a break through, well be adding new turrets in no time :D

Keep up the great investigateing :thumb_up:
Proud member of the PHPBB Network!
Feel free to upload or download X2 Mods!!

ShadowTek
x2

Post by ShadowTek » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 20:48

What program did you use to convert to ascii?

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:40

The Models are stored as PBD files, if you rename a PBD file to a PCK file you can either of the X2 modder tools to unpack it to a txt file ... Im currently in the process of working that textfile into a format that Milkshape understands .... I've got Triangles and Vertices working so far as you can see by those 2 screenshots and when Im get some time off work I'll work on importing the Materials data into MS too ...

I was working on a direct translation to the MS3D format, but that may not be possible as the X2 models appear to contain multiple models that are shown by the AQC ingame ....
Last edited by Troj on Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Mon, 2. Feb 04, 22:44

It's just occured to me, that these models dont contain any hardpoint/turret information ... so Im quite happy to play around with the model files (I want to make an M1 Battlestar Galactica)

Can someone work on the Hardpoint location data and the maybe the data that specifies how a ship works, like what hull strength, speed and cargo space it can have ?

It'd be nice if we can get a few peeps working on this :)

ShadowTek
x2

Post by ShadowTek » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 00:28

The cargo, specs etc are in the TShips file and quite easy to change, The docking hardpoints, I think how much a ship can dock, and turret and gun locations are in the .BOB files

ShadowTek
x2

Post by ShadowTek » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 00:32

For example the 04204.bob is the Xenon J carrier, 939 refersse to turrets and 944 refers to gun location on ship body (you can view them with word pad) each turret and gun is then refered to in the TShips file. You can add guns by haveing guns fire multiple shots (Check out my threads on 18 gun carriers)

PS This is the 1.0 04204.bob file as 1.2 removes everything, just with this piticular ship, also turrets and guns are different for each ship. Though 939 is generaly used for turrets, guns have different numbers per ship (Spit M1 guns are 708 and 981)

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 07:27

That's very handy stuff Shadowtech .... Is there a document of this stuff , or do you think we can get a list together ?
I was on the Tech boards last night and they were non-commital about if Ego will actually release any information on modding or not ...

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 07:31

Troj wrote:That's very handy stuff Shadowtech .... Is there a document of this stuff , or do you think we can get a list together ?
I was on the Tech boards last night and they were non-commital about if Ego will actually release any information on modding or not ...
:cry: say it ain't so Troj....say it ain't sooooo.... :cry:

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Tue, 3. Feb 04, 17:11

Lol - Hey nobody said ... no ... everybody just said they didn't know if Modding information is coming out ... We know that BurnIt! is working on the Scripting engine, so we'll just have to be patient ... Besides the ship model isnt as much a problem as an undocumented script engine :)

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Wed, 4. Feb 04, 00:23

Troj wrote:Lol - Hey nobody said ... no ... everybody just said they didn't know if Modding information is coming out ... We know that BurnIt! is working on the Scripting engine, so we'll just have to be patient ... Besides the ship model isnt as much a problem as an undocumented script engine :)
:D Yeah I know....just wanted to add some drama for S&G's. Would you happen to know anything about the OBJ files by chance. Like what's stored in them and what format?

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Wed, 4. Feb 04, 00:49

Unfortunately at the moment no , I can tell you its not a PCK file though ... my guess it's a serialised format of an internal class ... probably part of the story engine ... but who knows ?

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Wed, 4. Feb 04, 00:53

Troj wrote:Unfortunately at the moment no , I can tell you its not a PCK file though ... my guess it's a serialised format of an internal class ... probably part of the story engine ... but who knows ?
Tried renaming the extension to PCK and unpacking....let's just say that didn't work. Well hopefully somewhere over the rainbow the light will illuminate our path and reveal the mystery known only as OBJ to us poor common folk.
:lol:
*it's obviously time to put the pills in my applesauce*

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Wed, 4. Feb 04, 00:56

Lol, you got an Out of Memory error ?

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Wed, 4. Feb 04, 00:59

Troj wrote:Lol, you got an Out of Memory error ?
:D Hey give me some credit....I only got 640k :D

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”